Consulting

Thread: #Const

Microsoft Word MVP 2003-2009 VBAX Guru gmaxey's Avatar
    #Const

I'm working on a project that I would like to use with multiple versions of Word 2007/2010/2013.

Word 2013 has a few new features that I want to incorporate, but doing so causes compile errors when I try to use the project in Word 2007 or 2010. I've figured out how to avoid that by using a conditional compilation statement:

#Const Version = 15#

Will let the code run only if I'm using Word 2013. The problem (question) is to use the tool in Word 2010 I first have to open the project and change to:

#Const Version = 14#

That just seems clunky and I'm hoping there is a better way? It would sure be nice if I could just:
    #Const Version = Application.Version

but that won't work.

Thanks
    Greg

Visit my website: http://gregmaxey.com

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru macropod's Avatar
    Other than testing the VBA version, anything else (e.g. testing the application version) is liable to lead to compile-time errors.
    #If VBA7 Then
      MsgBox "VBA Version 7"
    #ElseIf VBA6 Then
      MsgBox "VBA Version 6"
    #Else
      MsgBox "VBA Version 5"
    #End If
    The #IF directive will correctly handle Properties and Methods that produce compile time errors.
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

Yes, I'm aware how #If..#Else..#End if works. Unfortunately both Word 2010 and 2013 use VBA7. I guess there is simply no way to distinguish between the two at compile time :-(

Thanks.
    Greg

VBAX Tutor

VBAX Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    No need for the #.
    The second # of course

@greg

I usually use the Project Properties for that. Not perfect, but possibly an option
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    If you have trusted access you could always have some code that triggers on open that tests the application version and update the code dynamically.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Here is an example of what I mean (this is Excel, should be modifiable)

Option Explicit

Const vbext_ct_StdModule As Long = 1
    Const vbext_ct_ClassModule As Long = 2
    Const vbext_ct_MSForm As Long = 3

Private Sub Workbook_Open() '<<<<<<<< change this to whatever fires on Word document open
    Dim VBProject As Object
    Dim VBMod As Object
    Dim mStartLine As Long
    Dim mLine As String
    Dim mModuleDone As Boolean

Set VBProject = Application.VBE.ActiveVBProject

If Not VBAIsTrusted(VBProject) Then

MsgBox "You need trusted access", vbOKOnly, "Conditionals"
        Else

If VBProject Is ThisWorkbook.VBProject Then '<<<< change ThisWorkbook to ThisDocument

With VBProject

For Each VBMod In .VBComponents

If VBMod.Type = vbext_ct_ClassModule Or VBMod.Type = vbext_ct_MSForm Or VBMod.Type = vbext_ct_StdModule Then

With VBMod.codemodule

mStartLine = 1
                                mModuleDone = False
                                Do Until mModuleDone

mModuleDone = mStartLine > .CountOfLines
                                    If Not mModuleDone Then

mLine = .Lines(mStartLine, 1)
                                        If mLine Like "*Const Version = *" Then

.DeleteLines mStartLine, 1
                                        End If

mStartLine = mStartLine + 1
                                    End If
                                Loop

'insert a conditional compilation line
                                .InsertLines .CountOfDeclarationLines + 1, "#Const Version = " & Val(Application.Version)
                            End With
                        End If
                    Next VBMod
                End With
            End If
        End If
    End Sub

'-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Private Function VBAIsTrusted(ByRef Project As Object) As Boolean
    '-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Dim mpVBC As Object
    Dim mpAlerts As Boolean
        mpAlerts = Application.DisplayAlerts
        Application.DisplayAlerts = False
        On Error Resume Next
        Set mpVBC = Project.VBComponents.Item(1)
        On Error GoTo 0
        Application.DisplayAlerts = mpAlerts
        VBAIsTrusted = Not mpVBC Is Nothing
    End Function
    Last edited by Bob Phillips; 05-27-2014 at 11:57 AM.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Sorry for be slow to get back. Thanks for the replies.

xld, good idea, but the trouble is that user would have to leave trusted access on right? Otherwise each time the tool is used they would have to trust access. I don't like the idea of having to manually change the #Const either in the module or the project as Paul suggests, but that may be the least annoyance. Once it is done it is done.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by gmaxey View Post
    xld, good idea, but the trouble is that user would have to leave trusted access on right?
    Or you could put it in a trusted location.

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber

I like you method and it would be great if I can just get it work! The code does what I need it to do when it works, but when it works and when it doesn't is strange.

Here is what is happening. I have "Trust Access to VBA project object model" set in both Word 2010 and 2013. My file is in a trusted location. The code is set to run in and AutoOpen() macro.

Here is what happens.

In Word 2010, I open the file and I get "You need trusted access." I open the VBE and run the code and it works perfectly.

I close the file in Word 2010 and open it in Word 2013 and I get no message but nothing happens. I open the VBE and run the code and again it runs perfectly.

Then I went back to Word 2010 and opened the file and got the same trusted access message. I closed and reopened the file and I got no message and the code ran.

I then went back to Word 2013 and same thing. Open the file once and nothing, close and open a second time and an it works

Any ideas?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Greg

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru macropod's Avatar
    In Word 2010, when I open the file and I get a Runtime Error 6068, not your message. I suspect the difference in behaviour may be due to you running 2010 and 2013 in the same environment (I don't have 2013 installed). Try:
    On Error Resume Next
      Set VBProject = Application.VBE.ActiveVBProject
      On Error GoTo 0
      If VBProject Is Nothing Then
        MsgBox "You need trusted access", vbOKOnly, "Conditionals"
      Else
    That should at least ensure your users get your error message.

Also, instead of putting your code into the auto-open sub, insert it into a different Module. Then you can use an Application.Version test to call the code in whichever module is applicable to the Word version you're using. That would obviate the need for trusted access and everything that goes with it. Your userform could likewise use Application.Version tests to determine which module to call subs/functions from, according to the Word version you're using.
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

I opened that file in Word 2010 and it worked fine, got the message Bingo and nothing else. I then opened it in Word 2013, and same thing. Both versions had the "Trust Access to VBA project object model" box checked.

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber

xld, Well I'm just baffled. I have Word 2003, 2007. 2010, and 2013 installed. 2010 is the default. Here when I open either 2010 or 2013 and open the file nothing happens the first time, but after that it works fine repeatedly until I close Word. When I open either version of Word again it is back to a single false start then all works.
    Greg

Still getting odd results. The project involves content controls and just a few instances where Word 2013 has properties/methods of the control that Word 2013 doesn't. All of the code is in the same module (userform). The #IF .. #End works well. If I can't get the dynamic process that xld offered to work, I'll just put out two versions with the correct #CONST Version.

Thanks.
    Greg

If the form has those controls regardless of version, you could do what Paul suggests and have two modules, one for 2010 and one for 2013 and have subs in each that processes the control, that is pass the whole control object byref to that sub. I haven't used this technique in quite a while, but it is what I used to do to emulate Addressof when using Excel 97 and Excel 2000. I found an old example that I posted here

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber

Yes, that is an idea. Thanks (you too Paul).
    Greg

VBAX Master
    Not a huge fan of the above approach of actually modifying the project code upon opening... why do you need to differentiate between Word 2007 and Word2010 at compile time? What are the compile errors you get in Word 2007 which don't occur in Word 2010?

It seems like you could use conditional logic for VBA7 (to differentiate for 2013 compile issues), and then simply test for Application.Version within a Word 2010/Word 2007 logic block. I haven't programmed for Office 2013 yet, but I do have a project which I need to be compatible with both 2007 and 2010, and Application.Version has worked fine for me. And I've used conditional compile for when code chunks need to work in Word 2003 (although obviously I would then need to save the project down to a .dot file).

VBAX Master
    Sorry, it looks like the questions may have been answered already... but I agree with having different modules. Word only compiles modules only as that code is called, so if you know you have a module which won't compile in a specific version... it's okay, as long as you don't call any subroutines from there. And if you really need to have it work... remember you can pass items as objects instead of the "real" thing, and then the properties will be available in the version that they're available in, and cause run-time errors in the versions that they're not available in (but no compile errors).

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber

I was being dense and unless I missed it previously, it is the practice of "passing items as objects instead of the "real" thing" that I should have done in the first place. I've done that before when working with content controls between Word2010 and Word2007 (there is no checkbox control in Word2007) and I simply forgot or lost the tree in the forest.

That is exactly what I've done and using that practice with Val(Application.Version) I'm able to run the code in all three versions of Word without issue.

Thanks for all of the responses (Paul and Paul2 and Ranman also) and interest in my post!
    Greg