Consulting

Thread: Need VBA help duplicating certain rows and manipulating data on these rows

Need VBA help duplicating certain rows and manipulating data on these rows

I'm fairly new to VBA. I'm about 3/5 done with my Excel VBA Programming for Dummies book and it has already helped my life at work a lot. Here is my situation.

I've got about 10,000 lines. The important info on the line is account number, department, amount and sales type. I have to look in either the department or account column (depending on the process I'm doing) for each row. Let's say the department is 500, I need to take the amount on this line and allocate it to 2 and some times 3 sales types. For example:

All lines with department 500 should be allocated to sales type A at 40% and sales type B at 60%. So if the amount on this specific line is 100, then I need to copy this line, insert it below, change the sales types for these two lines to A and B (regardless if the original sales type was C) with 40% of the original amount going to the line with sales type A and 60% going to the line with sales type B.

I also have to run this same process on the account column for a specific set of accounts. These two processes won't overlap.

This is what I started with and then just got confused...also, I know there has to be an easier way to do this.

Sub AllocationTemp()
    Dim SearchRow As Integer
    Dim Bucket As Variant
    Dim bucketprod1 As Variant
    Dim bucketprod2 As Variant

SearchRow = 5

While Len(Range("A" & CStr(SearchRow)).Value) > 0
    If Range("B" & CStr(SearchRow)).Value = 500 Then
    Range("B" & CStr(SearchRow)).Value = Bucket
    Rows(CStr(SearchRow) & ":" & CStr(SearchRow)).Select
    Selection.Copy
    Selection.Insert Shift:=xlDown
    bucketprod1 = Bucket * 0.4
    bucketprod2 = Bucket * 0.6

End Sub

Any help is greatly appreciated.

and then just got confused
    You also? I am too!
    Maybe put code tags around your code first. Highlight your code and click on the number (#) sign.
    A before and after sanitized workbook would help.