Consulting

Thread: Hyperlinking from Excel to Word bookmarks

VBAX Expert
    Hyperlinking from Excel to Word bookmarks

I have had a consistent problem hyperlinking from Excel to bookmarks in Word documents. I can navigate to the document and then manually add the link text required for a particular bookmark. But if I click on the BookMarks button after selecting the target Word file, I get an error

Microsoft Excel could not open this file or could not parse a file of this type

The problem is consistent across three op/sys (Win2K, WinXP/SP1 and WinXP/SP2) all running essentially the same version of Excel2000.

Any thoughts?
    "It's not just the due date that's important, it's also the do date" [MWE]

When your problem has been resolved, mark the thread SOLVED by clicking on the Thread Tools dropdown menu at the top of the thread.

Yeah, the XL dialog for bookmarks only seems to allow references within the workbook ("bookmark" being, therefore, a complete misnomer)
    You can do it by using the HYPERLINK formula synax:

=HYPERLINK("[C:\Documents and Settings\Killian\Desktop\Test.doc]bmkTest", "A freindly link name")
    where "bmkTest" is the name of your Word doc's bookmark
    K :-)

VBAX Expert
    Yeah, the XL dialog for bookmarks only seems to allow references within the workbook ("bookmark" being, therefore, a complete misnomer)
    You can do it by using the HYPERLINK formula synax:

=HYPERLINK("[C:\Documents and Settings\Killian\Desktop\Test.doc]bmkTest", "A freindly link name")
    where "bmkTest" is the name of your Word doc's bookmark
    thanks for the reply.

I know several "workarounds", I was hoping that the implied functionality actually worked (and I was doing something wrong)

When your problem has been resolved, mark the thread SOLVED by clicking on the Thread Tools dropdown menu at the top of the thread.

I was hoping that the implied functionality actually worked
    Indeed, clicking a "Bookmarks" button and expecting MSExcel to parse an MSWord document and list it's bookmarks doesn't seem like too wild an assumption, does it?
    but then, it's this kind of "MSOffice Integration" that keeps VBA coders in business
    K :-)

VBAX Expert
    Indeed, clicking a "Bookmarks" button and expecting MSExcel to parse an MSWord document and list it's bookmarks doesn't seem like too wild an assumption, does it?
    but then, it's this kind of "MSOffice Integration" that keeps VBA coders in business
    smells like a good KB