Consulting

Thread: Search Button Help

VBAX Newbie
    Search Button Help

Hi everyone,

I'm new to MS Access and especially to VBA code. I'm trying to have my search button in a form find contact information based on what I type in the text boxes. However, my code (that a friend tried helping me with) keeps giving me a compile error when I try and run it. Is there something that looks wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit - Seems like my requery line is giving the compile error.

Option Compare Database
    Private Sub cmdSearch_Click()
        'Holds the Filtered Query
        Dim DataSource As String
        'Set Query based on text fields
        DataSource = "SELECT * FROM tMediaContacts WHERE " & _
                     "[Publication]          like '*" & Me.txtPublication & "*' AND" & _
                     "[Publication_Location] like '*" & Me.txtLocation & "*' AND " & _
                     "[Category_type]        like '*" & Me.txtCategory & "*' AND " & _
                     "[First_Name]           like '*" & Me.txtFirst & "*' AND " & _
                     "[Last_Name]            like '*" & Me.txtLast & "*' AND " & _
                     "[Email]                like '*" & Me.txtEmail & "*' AND " & _
                     "[Title]                like '*" & Me.txtTitle & "*' AND " & _
                     "[City]                 like '*" & Me.txtCity & "*' AND " & _
                     "[State]                like '*" & Me.txtState & "*'"
        'Set Form Record Source to be the Query
        Me.tMediaContacts_subform.Form.RecordSource = DataSource
        'Bind that query to the form
        Me.tMediaContacts_subform.Requery()
        Exit Sub
    End Sub

Private Sub cmdClear_Click()
        'Clear all Text Boxes
        txtPublication = txtLocation = txtCategory = txtFirst = txtLast = txtEmail = txtTitle = txtCity = txtState = ""
        'Set the Record Source to be all records
        Me.tMediaContacts_subform.Form.RecordSource = "SELECT * FROM tMediaContacts "
        'Bind datasource to subform
        'Set the focus
        txtPublication.SetFocus()
    End Sub
    Last edited by Ebweaver; 06-11-2014 at 10:54 AM.

VBAX Tutor
    1. you dont need the ME. (but it dont hurt neither)
    2. are you sure the form is called tMediaContacts ? (this seems like a TABLE name, forms would start with f )
    and if it IS correct then it would be me.forms!tMediaContacts_subform (you call the masterform, then FORMS, then the sub form)

VBAX Newbie
    You are correct, tMediaContacts is the table name. The main form name is fSearch.

VBAX Expert
    Me.tMediaContacts_subform.form.Requery
    instead of

VBAX Newbie
    Hmm that didn't work, now when I click search after typing anything into the text boxes that I'm searching for, it pops up with a box to search for those fields again "Enter Parameter Value".

VBAX Expert

Easy way to check generated sql; Add a breakpoint to stop the code and type ?datasource into the immediate window and hit return.
    Copy the generated SQL into a new query and run it. Find the problem and fix your code.

But scanning your code, I think you missed a space at the end of the line for publication.