Consulting

Thread: Report: dependancies

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    Report: dependancies

Okay, don't hardly use Access here. Trying to build a database, first one (with an actual purpose). I have a few fields of data (57 of them). I have these fields input daily, sorted by Date (is the 1st field, so 58 total).

I am trying to create a report with the wizard. I only want 9 fields in this report, that's all I care about right now. Although, five of those fields need to be summarized together. I want them subtotaled as their own seperate field if you will.

I am in severe unfamiliar territory. Let me know what information you need and I will do the best that I can to get it for you. Thanks!

Hi Zack, I usually write a SQL Query first and base the report off of that that way I don't have to think as hard and hurt my head. LOL let me look around and see if I can find something like you want.

The attached database has a table with 15+- fields, it has a query that selects 4 text fields and 5 numeric fields. I left a query in there that it doesn't need sorry.

I added a module that has a function called AddEm cause I didn't know how to add em up with access, (I can sum the fields but I can't seem to add em), I think it is called select into, so I did the function.

In the report I based it off the query, let it auto generate, (I am horrible when it comes to screen design anyway it would have just grossed you out if I did it manually ) I went into the design of the report and selected each textbox (they have to be there to add up) right clicked and changed the visible property to false. Then I added a textbox and in the datacontrol box in the properties, I selected build and inserted the AddEm function and replaced the values with the field names. When I selected view the sum showed up correctly with 5 fields not seen and the other 4 are.

Now to be honest with you Zack you may want to see if anyone else can help I think I am cheating.

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    Okay, let me get started out on the right foot here. I've uploaded a zipped file of the mdb. I just started out in it. I don't even know if that's the right way to input info into a Table. I know NOTHING - NOTHING - about databases. I barely cobbled my way through inputting the information into the zipped file.

All I know is, I have dozens of Excel files that I'm always hunting and pecking information for and it's scatterred to the four corners of my HDD. There's gotta be a better way, and from everything I've been reading, an Access DB is the way to go. If it's not, I'll keep plugging away with Excel.

I'm not too greatly concerned with the report as I am with creating a good relational database. I have a lot of other information that can go into this database. It's actually quite a huge project. I'm just going to try and chip away at it once piece at a time.

Thanks for your help Tommy - greatly, greatly appreciated!