Consulting

Thread: Weeks and Months

VBAX Regular
    Unhappy Weeks and Months

Hello, I was wondering if someone could easily explain a solution to this.

A B C D
    1 Date Months Weeks Calculated date

2 01/01/2000 9 =(DATE(YEAR(A2),MONTH(A2)+B2,DAY(A2)))
    3 01/01/2000 36 =(DATE(YEAR(A3),MONTH(A3),DAY(A3)+C3*53/7))

I am trying to add firstly months to a given date which works fine but with the weeks calculation, how can I factor in the reality of 4.3333333 weeks in a month as well as accommodate leap years in the final date calculation. I need D2 and D3 to give an identical date through separate formulas.

Any suggestions?

Much appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jumpyjim; 06-20-2014 at 12:52 PM.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar

=A2+C3*7

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

VBAX Regular
    Hi xld, thanks for that but it does not give the desired result. The examples have a date of 01/01/2000 then adding 9 months should give the same date as adding 36 weeks but they don't. The weeks calculation is always a few days out compared to the month calculation.

Changing D3 to =(DATE(YEAR(A3),MONTH(A3)+C3/4.33,DAY(A3))) seems to be giving the correct answer but will need to test it some more.
    Last edited by jumpyjim; 06-20-2014 at 06:54 PM.

The weeks calculation is always a few days out compared to the month calculation.
    as 36 weeks is not = 9 months that would be the correct answer, what if it is 35 or 37 weeks, what result do you want then?
    if you only want values for whole months, why not just remove the weeks column?

Might be correct in a few tested cases, but you cannot rely on it a 9 months will be a different number of weeks depending upon which 9 months, whether it spans a 29th Feb or not. You are comparing apples and pears.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Doesn't banks and economic institutions have some rather silly notions of how many days constitutes a month, a year, etc? Could have something to do with that...

There is the 12 times 30 day year accounting calculation, but I have not come across on that assumes a month equals a fixed number of weeks.

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber

VBAX Regular
    Thanks for the feedback. It seems best to simply remove weeks as an option. Thanks again