Consulting

Thread: VBA macro help to find index match error

VBA macro help to find index match error

Hi I have a macro that use index match to find records from worksheet to another worksheet. I'm using 3 criteria to find the data.
    Upon running the code i got an error. it say "Wrong number of arguments or invalid property assignment". this point to EVALUATE function.
    May i ask your help on how i got the error or did you have any other idea. Thank you.

Sub UpdateStatus()
        Dim wb As Workbook
        Dim ws As Worksheet, wsSearchin As Worksheet

Set wb = ThisWorkbook
        Set ws = wb.Sheets("Intransit_")
        Set wsSearchin = wb.Sheets("CoresStatus")

If ws.AutoFilterMode = True Then ws.AutoFilterMode = False
        ws.UsedRange.AutoFilter Field:=6, Criteria1:="IN-TRANSIT"

'Change the Index and SearchIn ranges here..    Index = "CoresStatus!D2:D5000" contains "date" and "TBA"
        SearchIn = "CoresStatus!B2:B5000&" & _
                   "CoresStatus!F2:F5000&" & _
                   "CoresStatus!D2:D5000"
        For r = 2 To ws.Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).row
            If ws.Rows(r).Hidden = False Then
                SearchFor = Join(Array(ws.Cells(r, "A"), ws.Cells(r, "B"), ws.Cells(r, "C")), "")

'got an error in this portion red color font
                status = Evaluate("INDEX(" & Index & ",MATCH(" & """" & SearchFor & """" & ",INDEX(" & SearchIn & ",),0))")

If IsError(status) Then
                    If status = CVErr(xlErrNA) Then ws.Cells(r, "F") = "IN-TRANSIT"
                ElseIf status = "Not Yet" Then
                    Cells(r, "F") = "IN-TRANSIT"
                Else
                    Cells(r, "F") = "RECEIVED"
                End If
            End If
        Next
    End Sub

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Is the variable Index assigned its value outside this sub?
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

Inside the sub. do you have any other alternative codes instead of using evaluate? thanks for the reply.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaniguan1969 View Post
    Inside the sub. do you have any other alternative codes instead of using evaluate? thanks for the reply.
    Probably. At the moment index is NOT being defined inside the sub. Could you attach a workbook with what you're wanting? It is not at all clear what you're searching for and where…
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

In order to compile youtr code, I had to make certain cvhanges and add some declarations. ( I had to add the declarations because I place "Option Explicit" at the top of all my code, to catch some common errors. (go to the Tools menu >> Options >> Editor and check "Require Variable Declaration.

Dim Ndex As String ' I never use a reserved word as a Variable.
        Dim SearchIn As String
        Dim SearchFor As String
        Dim r As Long
        Dim Status As String

'Change the Index and SearchIn ranges here..
         Ndex = "CoresStatus!D2:D5000" 'contains "date" and "TBA"

Status = Evaluate("INDEX(" & Ndex & ",MATCH(" & """" & SearchFor & """" & ",INDEX(" & SearchIn & ",),0))")
    Looking at the code I see that the String SearchIn evaluates to
    "CoresStatus!B2:B5000&CoresStatus!F2:F5000&CoresStatus!D25000"
    That the SearchFor = Join(etc) is the same as
    With ws.Rows(r)
    SearchFor = .Cells(1) & .Cells(2) & .Cells(3)
    End With
    Looking at this line
    Status = Evaluate("INDEX(" & Ndex & ",MATCH(" & """" & SearchFor & """" & ",INDEX(" & SearchIn & ",),0))")
    I will rewrite it to its very basic meaning
    INDEX(Array(5000), MATCH(String, Array(15000)))
    Do you see the basic flaw herein?

I understand why you are using all those confusing quotes and ampersands, but you really don't need to use Evaluate; INDEX and MATCH work just fine with Ranges and Strings. While I can't understand what the SearchIn Range is all about and what its relation to the (concatenated) values in Columns A, B, and C of Row "r" is, you can use code like
    'Dim and Set Ndex and SearchIn as Ranges
         With Application.WorksheetFunction
            Status = .Index(Ndex, .Match(SearchFor, SearchIn), 0) 'An example only. Not correct for your purposes
        End With
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

Thanks Samt. I used Index Match instead of using vba macro. Below is the formula.

=IF(B12288="","",IFERROR(IF(INDEX('[Cores Status Summary 2014.xlsx]Core Status'!$J:$J,MATCH($A12288&$B12288&$C12288,'[Cores Status Summary 2014.xlsx]Core Status'!$N:$N,0))="Done","RECEIVED","IN-TRANSIT"),"IN-TRANSIT"))

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    A oneliner might suffice:

Sub UpdateStatus()
        [Intransit!F2:F5000] = [if(intransit_!F2:F5000="","",if(Intransit_!A2:A5000&Intransit_!B2:B5000&Intransit_!C2:C5000=CoresStatus!!B2:B5000&CoresStatus!!F2:F5000&CoresStatus!!D2:D5000,"IN-TRANSIT","RECEIVED"))]
    End Sub

Thanks snb. its possible this code will work in vba macro? Please see sample code in my thread.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    It is a VBA macro.

Thank you snb.