Consulting

Thread: One Checkbox to uncheck/disable all others in group

VBAX Newbie
    One Checkbox to uncheck/disable all others in group

Hi there,
    I'm trying to create a macro that will uncheck checkboxes in a group when one is selected - this checkbox is labelled as (All). When selected, I want the other checkboxes to be disabled so that it is only the (All) box that can be checked. Once that is unchecked, the other cbs can be checked once again.

I've got to the stage where clicking the (All) box unchecks the other cbs but have had trouble in disabling other cbs and getting them to enable again.

Here is my code (I'm very new to VBA so is quite messy and I have named the cbs from CB_07 to CB_14 with CB_07 being the (All) checkbox):
    Sub ProcessGrps()
    Dim shpChkBox As Shape
    Set shpChkBox = ActiveSheet.Shapes(Application.Caller)
    If shpChkBox.ControlFormat.Value = xlOn Then 'xlOn is Checked
    Select Case shpChkBox.Name
    Case "CB_07"
    With ActiveSheet
    .Shapes("CB_08").ControlFormat.Value = xlOff 'xlOff is Unchecked
    .Shapes("CB_09").ControlFormat.Value = xlOff 'xlOff is Unchecked
    .Shapes("CB_10").ControlFormat.Value = xlOff 'xlOff is Unchecked
    .Shapes("CB_11").ControlFormat.Value = xlOff 'xlOff is Unchecked
    .Shapes("CB_12").ControlFormat.Value = xlOff 'xlOff is Unchecked
    .Shapes("CB_13").ControlFormat.Value = xlOff 'xlOff is Unchecked
    .Shapes("CB_14").ControlFormat.Value = xlOff 'xlOff is Unchecked
    End With

End Select
    ActiveSheet.Shapes(shpChkBox.Name).ControlFormat.Value = xlOn 'xlOn is Checked

End If
    End Sub
    Thanks in advance for any help, it is greatly appreciated!

Tom
    Last edited by SamT; 10-02-2014 at 09:33 AM.

VBAX Tutor
        For Each chk In ActiveSheet.CheckBoxes
                chk.Value = false
        Next
    Set chk = Nothing

VBAX Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    Dim chk As Object
        For Each chk In ActiveSheet.CheckBoxes
                chk.Value = false
        Next
    Set chk = Nothing
    Thanks for your response but this isn't sufficient as i need the checkbox to deselect all others with those others being disabled until this checkbox is unchecked. I have made further developments with the code - now I can make sure the other cbs are disabled while CB_07 is checked but only for a few clicks and then they become enabled again. Do you guys know how to keep them disabled while CB_07 is checked?

Sub ProcessGrps()
    '
        Dim shpChkBox As Object

Set shpChkBox = ActiveSheet.Shapes(Application.Caller)

If ActiveSheet.Shapes("CB_07").ControlFormat.Value = xlOn Then
                   With ActiveSheet
                        .Shapes("CB_08").ControlFormat.Enabled = False    'xlOff is Unchecked
                        .Shapes("CB_09").ControlFormat.Enabled = False    'xlOff is Unchecked
                        .Shapes("CB_10").ControlFormat.Enabled = False    'xlOff is Unchecked
                        .Shapes("CB_11").ControlFormat.Enabled = False     'xlOff is Unchecked
                        .Shapes("CB_12").ControlFormat.Enabled = False    'xlOff is Unchecked
                        .Shapes("CB_13").ControlFormat.Enabled = False    'xlOff is Unchecked
                        .Shapes("CB_14").ControlFormat.Enabled = False
                   End With
        Else
                With ActiveSheet
                        .Shapes("CB_08").ControlFormat.Enabled = True    'xlOff is Unchecked
                        .Shapes("CB_09").ControlFormat.Enabled = True    'xlOff is Unchecked
                        .Shapes("CB_10").ControlFormat.Enabled = True    'xlOff is Unchecked
                        .Shapes("CB_11").ControlFormat.Enabled = True     'xlOff is Unchecked
                        .Shapes("CB_12").ControlFormat.Enabled = True    'xlOff is Unchecked
                        .Shapes("CB_13").ControlFormat.Enabled = True    'xlOff is Unchecked
                        .Shapes("CB_14").ControlFormat.Enabled = True
                   End With

End If

If ActiveSheet.Shapes("CB_07").ControlFormat.Value = xlOn Then    'xlOn is Checked

Select Case shpChkBox.Name

Case "CB_07"
                    With ActiveSheet
                        .Shapes("CB_08").ControlFormat.Value = xlOff    'xlOff is Unchecked
                        .Shapes("CB_09").ControlFormat.Value = xlOff    'xlOff is Unchecked
                        .Shapes("CB_10").ControlFormat.Value = xlOff    'xlOff is Unchecked
                        .Shapes("CB_11").ControlFormat.Value = xlOff    'xlOff is Unchecked
                        .Shapes("CB_12").ControlFormat.Value = xlOff    'xlOff is Unchecked
                        .Shapes("CB_13").ControlFormat.Value = xlOff    'xlOff is Unchecked
                        .Shapes("CB_14").ControlFormat.Value = xlOff    'xlOff is Unchecked

End With

End Select
            ActiveSheet.Shapes(shpChkBox.Name).ControlFormat.Value = xlOn     'xlOn is Checked

End If
    End Sub
    Many thanks

His code refers to the CheckBox as a Control, where your code refers to it as a drawing, (Shape.) Maybe there is a difference in the way Checkboxes act, depending on how they are refered to.
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ