Consulting

Thread: Copy Data from one sheet to another IF cells are highlighted specific colors.

VBAX Regular
    Unhappy Copy Data from one sheet to another IF cells are highlighted specific colors.

Hello All,

I am looking for a Macro that will look at 2 sheets in the same workbook and if a cell in column C is highlighted either Blue [RGB (79, 129, 189)] or Purple [RGB (204, 192, 218)] then i want that row of data to be copied (format, cell highlights, etc...) from one sheet and inserted into another sheet.

This macro will look at a Sheet called "MySheet" and check through column C starting at C4 to the last row and look at the highlighted colors of the cells. If the cell is highlighted RGB(79, 129, 189) or RGB (204, 192, 218)then that row of data that ranges from A:P will be copied and pasted (including format and cell highlights) into the sheet called "New Property". If a row is copied and pasted from "MySheet" to "New Property" then I would like cell A for that row to be highlighted Pink RGB(255, 0, 255) so that it stands out and I know what has been moved from one sheet to the other.

If you have any questions or are not sure exactly what I'm asking, please ask.

Thank you for your time,
    Zlerp

The solution depends on the use of fill colors or conditional formatting. The former is the easier to handle. IF the latter, then the formula to set the color would be the criterion.

If you can make a short example file and attach, it is easier to help that way.

try this.
    since we have no sample file, not tested.

i have adopted a code posted by snb to ozgrid as a udf. so credits go to snb.

Sub copy_paste_based_on_cell_interior_rgb()

Const blue As String = "R:79 G:129 B:189" 'RGB(79, 129, 189)
        Const purple As String = "R:204 G:192 B:218" 'RGB(204, 192, 218)
        Dim i As Long

With Worksheets("MySheet")
            For i = 4 To .Range("C" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
                Select Case rgb_valz(.Range("C" & i))
                    Case blue, purple
                        .Range("A" & i & ":P" & i).Copy Worksheets("New Property").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1)
                        .Range("A" & i).Interior.Color = RGB(255, 0, 255)
                End Select
            Next i
        End With

End Sub

Public Function rgb_valz(rng As Range) As String
    'Credits: snb
        rgb_valz = _
            "R:" & rng.Interior.Color Mod 256 & _
            " G:" & (rng.Interior.Color Mod 256 ^ 2) \ 256 & _
            " B:" & rng.Interior.Color \ 256 ^ 2
    End Function
    PLS DO NOT PM; OPEN A THREAD INSTEAD!!!

1) Posting Code
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE]
    (or paste your code, select it, click # button)

2) Uploading File(s)
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) (multiple files can be selected while holding Ctrl key) / Upload Files / Done
    Replace company specific / sensitive / confidential data. Include so many rows and sheets etc in the uploaded workbook to enable the helpers visualize the data and table structure. Helpers do not need the entire workbook.

3) Testing the Codes
    always back up your files before testing the codes.

4) Marking the Thread as Solved
    from Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)

VBAX Regular

First off, thanks for your time and your help. It is GREATLY appreciated.

Im honestly not sure which way to go about it would be better. I thought conditional formatting was based on formating to the specified conditions only if it meets the specified criterias. Im not sure that can be used here unless it is towards the later part of the code.

As in:

IF a row was copy and pasted from "MySheet" to "New Propert", THEN Highlight that added rows cell in Column A Pink RGB(255, 0, 255).

Like I said before i am honestly not sure what the best way to approach this code is. I unfortunately am novice with VBA (but would really love to learn it).

I have attached an example Workbook. there are 3 sheets in the work book. "New Property", "MySheet", and "FINAL". Sheet "FINAL" is what "New Property" should look like after the macro is ran. As you can see in sheet "FINAL", the rows that were copied from "MySheet" (because they meet the criteria of having the color Blue RGB(79, 129, 189) or Purple RGB (204, 192, 218) in Column C) and inserted into the last row of the sheet "FINAL" and the cell in column A for those rows that were moved were highlighted Pink RGB(255, 0, 255).

Sample Report.xls

Thank you again for your help.
    Zlerp

VBAX Regular

this works great!

The only addition i would like is to highlight cell A Pink for all the rows that were copied over form one sheet to the other!

Thanks a lot for your help and time. It is GREATLY Appreciated.

Thanks,
    Zlerp

VBAX Regular
    I realize that when i created the sample, I did not copy and paste all the rows that contain a Blue or Purple Highlight in column C. The Macro should Grab all the rows that contain either of those colors in column C. Sorry about the mistake but the sample should give you a much better understanding of exactly what im looking for.

Thanks,
    Zlerp

Quote Originally Posted by Zlerp View Post
    Hey Kenneth,

First off, thanks for your time and your help. It is GREATLY appreciated.

Im honestly not sure which way to go about it would be better. I thought conditional formatting was based on formating to the specified conditions only if it meets the specified criterias. Im not sure that can be used here unless it is towards the later part of the code.

As in:

IF a row was copy and pasted from "MySheet" to "New Propert", THEN Highlight that added rows cell in Column A Pink RGB(255, 0, 255).

Like I said before i am honestly not sure what the best way to approach this code is. I unfortunately am novice with VBA (but would really love to learn it).

I have attached an example Workbook. there are 3 sheets in the work book. "New Property", "MySheet", and "FINAL". Sheet "FINAL" is what "New Property" should look like after the macro is ran. As you can see in sheet "FINAL", the rows that were copied from "MySheet" (because they meet the criteria of having the color Blue RGB(79, 129, 189) or Purple RGB (204, 192, 218) in Column C) and inserted into the last row of the sheet "FINAL" and the cell in column A for those rows that were moved were highlighted Pink RGB(255, 0, 255).

Sample Report.xls

Thank you again for your help.
    Zlerp

you are welcome.

i recommend you try to analyze and understand what the code does line by line.

just add & ":P" & i
    .Range("A" & i & ":P" & i).Interior.Color = RGB(255, 0, 255)

1) Posting Code

2) Uploading File(s)
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) (multiple files can be selected while holding Ctrl key) / Upload Files / Done
    Replace company specific / sensitive / confidential data. Include so many rows and sheets etc in the uploaded workbook to enable the helpers visualize the data and table structure. Helpers do not need the entire workbook.

3) Testing the Codes

VBAX Regular

I see now that the pink highlights are made in column A on "MySheet". I would like the Pink highlights to be on the sheet "New Property" but seeing this helped me thing of a new way to complete what I need.

Heres my idea of what would make this work. The code should be made in this order:
    1. Use conditional formating to highlight cells in column A Pink for all rows that the cell in column C is Blue or Purple in "MySheet".
    2. Copy and paste all rows from "MySheet" to "New Property" that has a Pink cell color in column A.

I think this will be the easiest way to code it. but i am a novice, and you guys know better than me.

Let me know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by mancubus View Post
    try this.
    since we have no sample file, not tested.

i have adopted a code posted by snb to ozgrid as a udf. so credits go to snb.

Dim i As Long

Case blue, purple
                        .Range("A" & i & ":P" & i).Copy Worksheets("New Property").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1)
                End Select
            Next i
        End With

End Sub

rgb_valz = _
    End Function

thanks!
    Zlerp

VBAX Regular

that works perfectly! Thanks you very much for your help! I am slowly learning VBA and dont understand all the code you supplied. If you dont mind me asking, how does adding & ":P" & i also add the Pink onto the sheet "New Property"?

Quote Originally Posted by mancubus View Post
    you are welcome.

i recommend you try to analyze and understand what the code does line by line.

just add & ":P" & i
    thanks Again!!!!
    Zlerp

hey.

using native excel functionality is always recommended by masters.

it's up to you.

1) Posting Code

2) Uploading File(s)

3) Testing the Codes

Quote Originally Posted by Zlerp View Post
    If you dont mind me asking, how does adding & ":P" & i also add the Pink onto the sheet "New Property"?
    do you want fill color of copied rows in New Property also be changed to pink?
    sure. but in post #1 you asked all formats be copied as well...
    and you also know those rows are copied from Mysheet.

btw, add this bit to code before tha last line (End Sub)
    i assume New Property is blank before the macro runs.

With Worksheets("New Property")
            .Range("A2:P" & .Range("A" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).Interior.Color = RGB(255, 0, 255)
        End With

1) Posting Code

2) Uploading File(s)

3) Testing the Codes

VBAX Regular

Thanks for the explanation! actually "New Property" is not blank. This code is one of 15 modules i have created in order to get what i needed. Just one of the later parts of the puzzle piece. After this i have a code that removes duplicates in column A only if the cell color in A is Pink as well. So the reasoning for this code is to show what was on an old report and transfered to the new report with a standout feature (the pink in column A).

Once again thanks fro all your help, your explanations, and your time.

Thanks,
    Zlerp

you're welcome.

you may need to find the first blank cell's row number before any copy-paste.

Dim i As Long, FBlnkRow As Long

FBlnkRow = Worksheets("New Property").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1).Row

Case blue, purple
                End Select
            Next i
        End With

With Worksheets("New Property")
            .Range("A" & FBlnkRow & ":P" & .Range("A" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).Interior.Color = RGB(255, 0, 255)
        End With

End Sub

rgb_valz = _
    End Function

1) Posting Code

2) Uploading File(s)

3) Testing the Codes

VBAX Newbie
    Hi, I have used this following code in file workbook and it works fine the way I have adapted it but its copies data and pastes it to sheet "New Property" & "A2".

How would this code been changed to copy to same sheet but "E9", I see it as something to do with...
    .Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1)

Dim i As Long

Case blue, purple
                End Select
            Next i
        End With

End Sub

rgb_valz = _
    End Function

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    At its simplest change to:
    .Range("E" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1)
    but this might start copying above row 9 if there's nothing below row 7 in column E.
    To ensure nothing's ever copied above row 9 you can replace:
      Case blue, purple
    End Select
    with:
      Case blue, purple
        Set Destn = Worksheets("New Property").Range("E" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1)
        If Destn.Row < 9 Then Set Destn = Range("E9")
        .Range("A" & i & ":P" & i).Copy Destn
    End Select
    (untested)
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Newbie
    Works perfect thank you. Adapted slightly for my needs which took me a bit of time but now works a I need it to

Again thank you