Consulting

Thread: Select Cell X, Filter cell Y, if cell Y meets condition Z -> Input into cell X

VBAX Regular
    Select Cell X, Filter cell Y, if cell Y meets condition Z -> Input into cell X

Dear All,

Please see below (treat __ as space):

| NO-6514 rs,soKristiansund__ | __________|
    | Aspx CH-1024 Ecublens____ |Switzerland_ |
    | CH-1009 Ajuhal Pully ______ |___________|
    | Sumthin DK-3660 Stenløse_ | Denmark__ |
    | Himmhs AT-4724 Neukirchen |__________ |
    | Trololo NL-8442 BZ HEE____ | Netherlands |
    | AT-3500 Krems Smpffr_____ |__________ |

What I am trying to overcome is making a fragment of a code that does the following:

1. Out of a single column with different text values - select only cells with no value (blank)

2. Select cells with offset (0, -1) to each cell selected in 1.

3. See if cells selected in 2. contain a phrase eg. "AT-" (data in cell would contain several alphanumerical words).

4. For every selected cell in 2. which meets condition in 3. - input text value eg. "Austria" into corresponding blank cell from 1.
    offset ( 0, +1)

In short - I want the code to look up blanks and fill them in with country name. Only for "AT-" and "Austria".

Help is deeply appreciated. Thank you.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    If the cells are truly blank cells then the following will work (pay attention to the first comment in the code):
    Sub blah()
    'first select a single cell in the column containing blanks you want to replace.
    For Each cll In Intersect(ActiveCell.EntireColumn, ActiveSheet.UsedRange).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).Cells ' this line will error i there are no blank cells at all.
      If InStr(1, cll.Offset(, -1).Value, "AT-", vbTextCompare) > 0 Then cll.Value = "Austria"
    Next
    End Sub
    If the cells are not truly balnk but in fact contain only spaces then this will work:
    Sub blah2()
    'first select a single cell in the column containing blanks you want to replace.
    For Each cll In Intersect(ActiveCell.EntireColumn, ActiveSheet.UsedRange).Cells
      If Application.Trim(cll.Value) = "" Then
        If InStr(1, cll.Offset(, -1).Value, "AT-", vbTextCompare) > 0 Then cll.Value = "Austria"
      End If
    Next
    End Sub
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Regular

My apologies for late reply. I have just now tested your advice and it works perfectly.

You have been of great help. Thank you!

Regards,
    Palon