Consulting

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Solved: Custom properties from Normal.dot doesn't reproduce in new documents

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    This is fascinating! Word 2003.

It appears that AutoExec macros can be run from global templates - I currently have four different ones running and they all run after blank document initialisation. It would appear that Word loads Normal and runs Auto Macros in Normal, then creates a blank document (I haven't yet tried experimenting with opening existing docs), then loads global templates and runs auto macros in global templates.
    This is true and I mentioned using automacro's in global templates being a pain.

I've often had problems automating a new addin in a environment whit more then one add-in and/or automacro's in Normal.dot. (That's why I suggested testing it in a clean environment and troubleshoot later)

BUT .. I have had to do some messing about to get them all to run consistently and I can't pin down exactly what it takes at the moment.

As far as I knew before today there was no way to run any auto macro on or after initialisation of a default blank document. Now I know better, I shall try hard to pin down exact details and report back. Meanwhile I have to mow the lawn.
    Take your time Tony and I hope the lawn looks lovely by now. (Mine needs a mow too)

I'm awaiting your findings!
    _________
    Groetjes,

Joost Verdaasdonk
    M.O.S. Master

Mark your thread solved, when it has been, by hitting the Thread Tools dropdown at the top of the thread.
    (I don't answer questions asked through E-mail or PM's)

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    To replace the new blank doc produced with a new blank document from the tyemplate of choice, you use the same code using Document_New.
    Or use Word macros like my sample above.

As far Word as Outlook editor....someone else solve that....I would never do that. IMHO using Word as email editor is ....insert typical Gerry rant here....
    Rant a way buddy!

But the simple fact is you don't have to like it! It's a very common used practice using Word as editor and if you are developing a sollution you have to catere for it....

And I had a struggle with this a lot of times....
    _________
    Groetjes,

Joost Verdaasdonk
    M.O.S. Master

Mark your thread solved, when it has been, by hitting the Thread Tools dropdown at the top of the thread.

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    It is certainly true that the thread has wandered but the original question was actually about why properties of the Normal template are not copied to new documents. It was not about events or auto macros - if I recall, it was you, Gerry, who introduced them into the discussion.
    Gentlemen please....

The initial question raised an issue I didn't know about, and out of the discussion has come something I find interesting - if you don't, then you don't have to participate further . But, perhaps you are right, I should start a new thread.
    Not realy the OP changed his question to how to start Word always with the same template and each template made by the new document button.

So where in the right place as far as I'm concerned.

As far as using Word in Outlook is concerned it makes no sense for me to do it but I can see that others in other situations might want to and I can imagine some corporate users not even knowing they have a choice (it is the default on Outlook 2003 install). It seems sensible to sound a note of caution that some aspects of Word's behaviour outside of Outlook (in particular those discussed here) are affected by the use of Word within Outlook.
    True, true....and Like I said if you develop for others you have no choise or opinion in the matter .... you just tell it can or can't be done!

I'll look up the rant - I'm sure I have a copy
    You can borrow mine Tony....
    _________
    Groetjes,

Joost Verdaasdonk
    M.O.S. Master

VBAX Wizard

Hi

Thanks for all your work and answers.
    I'm still thinking what path to take... an easy one och or a more complicated one. I'll proberbly release a version 1 which I can fill up more to version 2.

Again thanks for all your time

The question/s I had are solved for the moment so I'll mark the thread solved.

Thanks
    Grodan

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    Very funny.
    Glad you like it...I loved it!
    _________
    Groetjes,

Joost Verdaasdonk
    M.O.S. Master

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    Again thanks for all your time

The question/s I had are solved for the moment so I'll mark the thread solved.
    Hi Grodan,

Thanx for marking it solved and I'm glad we could help you reach your goal!
    _________
    Groetjes,

Joost Verdaasdonk
    M.O.S. Master