Consulting

Thread: Colours based on drop down

Colours based on drop down

Good Afternoon,

this is a basic request that Im not certain is possible but want to hope it is. Various websites have a dropdown box which changes the colour scheme of the website and I was wondering if I could replicate this in Excel somehow.

For example I have a basic dashboard that has a black background mainly for impact however some people dont like the black and would prefer a pastel colour say. If i changed the background the fonts etc wouldnt be visable.

IS there something i could code that if the drop down options were say "Original, Pastel, Printable", that the whole dashboard could change colour?

The easiest way to see how it is done is to record a macro. Otherwise, please post a short example file so that we can best help.

Depending on how many colors and Themes you are talking about, use an IF...Then...ElseIF statement or a Select case Statement to assign different values to some variables, then format the cells using those variable's values.

This may help
    Sub showColorIndexNums()
        Dim i As Long
        Worksheets.Add before:=Sheets(1)
        [A1].Value = "Color"
        [B1].Value = "Index Number"
        ActiveSheet.Name = "ColorIndex"
        For i = 2 To 58
            Range("A" & i).Interior.ColorIndex = i - 2
            Range("B" & i).Value = i - 2
        Next i
        ActiveSheet.[B:B].EntireColumn.AutoFit
    End Sub
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

cant believe i didnt think of a basic macro!!

however I also like your Idea SamT thanks to you both. Ill have a bit of a play with both ideas and see which one is the better idea. I think i may have the macros fire based on the drop down option.

if dropdown = "1" then color1,
    etc