Consulting

Thread: Identify text not in Times New Roman Format

VBAX Regular
    Identify text not in Times New Roman Format

Hi,
    I have one word document of more than 400 pages. By using Ctrl + A , changes font to 'Times New Roman'. But unfortunately in some of the areas font is in diffrent format like 'Arial'. Is there any way to find text which is not in 'Times New Roman'.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru macropod's Avatar
    You could highlight the whole document, then use Find/Replace to remove the highlighting from the 'Times New Roman' content. Whatever's left with highlighting after that is in a different font.
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

Microsoft Word MVP 2003-2009 VBAX Guru gmaxey's Avatar
    Paul's suggestion could possibly solve your problem. The only other alternative and the code would take a while to run would be to evaluate ever character in the text. Something like this perhaps:

Sub ScratchMacro()
    'A basic Word macro coded by Greg Maxey
    Dim oRng As Word.Range
      Application.ScreenUpdating = False
      Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Range.Characters.First
      Do
        If oRng.Font.Name <> "Times New Roman" Then
         oRng.Comments.Add oRng, oRng.Font.Name
       End If
       oRng.MoveStart wdCharacter, 1
       oRng.MoveEnd wdCharacter, 1
      Loop Until oRng.End = ActiveDocument.Characters.Last.End
      Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End Sub
    Greg

Visit my website: http://gregmaxey.com

VBAX Regular
    This is a more advanced technique, but you can also use the underlying Word XML (ActiveDocument.WordOpenXML) plus DOM and an XPath expression to find all your occurrences of fonts that are not equal to "Times New Roman".

Would you elaborate and post the code that you would use?
    Greg

VBAX Regular
    Sure. First add a Reference to "Microsoft XML, v6.0" in your VBA Project using Tools > References. Then try something like this:

Public Sub FindDisallowedFonts()

Dim oXML As DOMDocument60
        Set oXML = New DOMDocument60
        oXML.LoadXML ActiveDocument.WordOpenXML
        oXML.setProperty "SelectionLanguage", "XPath"
        oXML.setProperty "SelectionNamespaces", "xmlns:w='http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/wordprocessingml/2006/main'"
        Dim oDisallowedFontNodes As IXMLDOMNodeList
        Set oDisallowedFontNodes = oXML.SelectNodes("//w:rFonts[@w:ascii!='Times New Roman']")
        Dim oNode As IXMLDOMNode
        For Each oNode In oDisallowedFontNodes
            Debug.Print "TEXT: " & oNode.ParentNode.ParentNode.SelectSingleNode(".//w:t").Text
            Debug.Print "FONT: " & oNode.ParentNode.ParentNode.SelectSingleNode(".//w:rFonts/@w:ascii").NodeValue
        Next oNode

End Sub
    This is very rough and would need appropriate error handling, but it does work. You will also sometimes get two font entries in the XML for one occurrence of text (one for the paragraph font and one for the character font). This technique can be combined with traditional "Range.Find" techniques to replace unwanted fonts because you now know the text and the font face style to look for. It can also be used for other information that you cannot find through traditional Word APIs, once you start to understand the underlying XML. XPath is very fast, even for large documents like the one described here (400+pages).

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I did get an error when I ran your code on very simple string of text. The error occurred after al the non TNR characters were identified. I don't know what I'm doing, but I fixed it with:

Sub Test()
        oXML.setProperty "SelectionNamespaces", "xmlns:w='http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/wordprocessingml/2006/main'"
        Set oDisallowedFontNodes = oXML.SelectNodes("//w:rFonts[@w:ascii!='Times New Roman']")
        Dim oNode As IXMLDOMNode
          'Added the if statement to avoid RTE
          If Not oNode.ParentNode.ParentNode.SelectSingleNode(".//w:t") Is Nothing Then
            Debug.Print "TEXT: " & oNode.ParentNode.ParentNode.SelectSingleNode(".//w:t").Text
            Debug.Print "FONT: " & oNode.ParentNode.ParentNode.SelectSingleNode(".//w:rFonts/@w:ascii").NodeValue
          End If
        Next oNode
    End Sub
    Also I noticed that it fails to find "Theme" font. I don't know why and just mentioning it in case you weren't aware.
    Greg

VBAX Regular
    Yes, you are correct, that's why I cautioned it's an advanced technique; you really need to know the underlying Word Open XML to use it. My example was only looking for a font applied to character(s) in a range smaller than a paragraph. It would error out on non-TNR fonts applied to paragraphs and wouldn't find theme/document fonts because they are defined differently in the Word XML. But you could easily expand this example to cover everything you wanted to find. WordOpenXML is a very powerful feature that many developers don't know about or don't know how to use. You have access to lots of things that Word VBA APIs don't expose. Here's the updated code:

Public Sub FindDisallowedFonts()

Dim oNode As IXMLDOMNode
            If oNode.ParentNode.ParentNode.nodeName = "w:pPr" Then 'We have a paragraph font
                Debug.Print "PARA TEXT: " & oNode.ParentNode.ParentNode.ParentNode.SelectSingleNode(".//w:t").Text
            Else 'We have a range font
                Debug.Print "CHAR TEXT: " & oNode.ParentNode.ParentNode.SelectSingleNode(".//w:t").Text
            End If
        Next oNode

'Theme Font: e.g. <a:fontScheme name="Office"><a:majorFont><a:latin typeface="Calibri Light"
        'Add the "theme" namespace
        oXML.setProperty "SelectionNamespaces", "xmlns:a='http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/drawingml/2006/main'"
        Debug.Print "Major Theme Font: " & oXML.SelectSingleNode("//a:fontScheme/a:majorFont/a:latin/@typeface").NodeValue
        Debug.Print "Minor Theme Font: " & oXML.SelectSingleNode("//a:fontScheme/a:minorFont/a:latin/@typeface").NodeValue

End Sub

rruckus, Thanks. I agree and will have to make a point of learning more about it.
    Greg