Consulting

Thread: smart vlookup

smart vlookup

Hello
    i have 2 sheets that i want to copy values between them.
    the problems are :
    1.that sheet1 has 100 items and sheet2 has 60 items (all of them included in sheet1).
    2.the number of columns for each item is different and i want to copy to sheet1 only the max values column (need to be calculated)

sheet1 has 40 items which are different, so i dont want to delete them when copy the values from sheet2 to sheet1

thank you

item price1 price2 price3 max
    a 2.5 2.5
    b 6 6
    c 10.1 10.9 10.9
    d 5 5.3 5.4 5.4
    e 4 2 1 4
    f 4.11 5.88 5.88

VBAX Regular
    1) to build the max: depending on your real file, use if, while or for each or anything else... to loop on each price cells of a row and keep in a variable only if bigger than previous. Then put the variable into your max column

Can you change the original sheets by adding a column of your own? if yes, quickest way is to create a "unique" key column, combining item+ max, (both sheets). It will be your key for the vlookup

to get the biggest number of row to process you can make an easy stuff on your bigger sheet like;

For i = 1 To 999999                 
        If Cells(i, 1) = 0 Then
                Endlign = i- 1
                Exit For
        Endif
    next i
    then anything you do, you do it from 1 to Endlign. Don't forget to add some ""On error resume next" no to bug on inexisting key in shortest sheet

Not sure it is clear, but hard to be more precise as I don't know exactly how your sheets look like