Consulting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: help needed with Vlookup and IF function

help needed with Vlookup and IF function

Hi

can anyone help me with this formula please.

=VLOOKUP(D9,Agency_Contract!C9:Y11,22,IF(J9>Agency_Contract!X9,J9-Agency_Contract!X9,0))
    its just not doing what i want it to do.

vlookup references based on a D9

IF is what i want it to do

ive even tried it like this but this one just returns the value in J9 but i dont want that to happen

=IF(J10>Agency_Contract!X10,J10-Agency_Contract!X10,VLOOKUP(D10,Agency_Contract!C10:Y12,22))
    Last edited by LearningEXL; 04-14-2015 at 11:14 PM.

So to verify what your function reads to me:
    look up D9 in range c9 to y11
    and display a cell 22 spaces to the right if a match is found
    else
    display either j9-x9 if j9 is bigger
    or 0 if x9 is bigger

if I am on the right track I would put the if at the begining

if (j9 > agency_contract!x9, vlookup(d9, Agency_contract!c9:y11,22,j9-agency_contract!x9), 0)
    not tested I'm away from my pc, but looks like it might be closer

ok so i thought id try and find where the error lays, and this is what i got so far

if Agency_Contract X10 has an 8 in it then the formula works, however if there is a 0 in the same cell then all it does it enters the figure that in the cell next to where this formula lays

=IF(J10>Agency_Contract!X10,J10-Agency_Contract!X10,"")
    which is on Agency_Daily_Input I10

so...if J10 has 10.5 (which is number of hours done) in it and Agency_Contract!X10 has an 8 in it then the formula returns 2, which is correct, but.....

if Agency_Contract!X10 has an 0 in it then 10.5 is returned instead of a Blank cell or 0. i hope this has helped in helping me.

as i plan to add a vlookup function to this as well

Quote Originally Posted by mperrah View Post
    So to verify what your function reads to me:
    look up D9 in range c9 to y11
    and display a cell 22 spaces to the right if a match is found
    else
    display either j9-x9 if j9 is bigger
    or 0 if x9 is bigger

if I am on the right track I would put the if at the beggining

if (j9 > agency_contract!x9, vlookup(d9, Agency_contract!c9:y11,22,j9-agency_contract!x9), 0)
    not tested I'm away from my pc, but looks like it might be closer
    i tried that but all that does is return the value of Agency_Contract X9 which is either 8 or 0

How about posting sample before and after data or upload your workbook
    under post reply click go advanced and click the paperclip

How about posting sample before and after data or upload your workbook
    under post reply click go advanced and click the paperclip
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hni5spbtti...orum.xlsm?dl=0

If we know the ranges of the data source and the function to manipulate it and the destination, this can be done in VBA or formulas. Excel has some powerful tools built that can work super fast. But sometimes a little finese is required for more complex manipulating

I'll run some test first thing in the morning.

If we know the ranges of the data source and the function to manipulate it and the destination, this can be done in VBA or formulas. Excel has some powerful tools built that can work super fast. But sometimes a little finese is required for more complex manipulating
    i cant put a range name in (well i dont think i cant) as Agency Contract sheet has an advanced filter on it

VBAX Mentor
    You seem to be chasing this one around a bit

Instead of this - per post#01:
    =VLOOKUP(D9,Agency_Contract!C9:Y11,22,IF(J9>Agency_Contract!X9,J9-Agency_Contract!X9,0))
    Try
    =IF(J9>Agency_Contract!X9,J9-Agency_Contract!X9,VLOOKUP(D9,Agency_Contract,22,1))

Why?
    If you translate the formula into what it is being asked to do
    tells Excel to
    lookup cell D9[COMMA] in Agency_Contract Range C9:Y11 (ColC is the match)[COMMA] value we want is in column X [COMMA] HERE we expect a TRUE or FALSE argument BUT there is an if statement here
    VLookUp.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Yongle View Post
    You seem to be chasing this one around a bit

Instead of this - per post#01:
    Try
    =IF(J9>Agency_Contract!X9,J9-Agency_Contract!X9,VLOOKUP(D9,Agency_Contract,22,1))

Why?
    If you translate the formula into what it is being asked to do
    tells Excel to
    lookup cell D9[COMMA] in Agency_Contract Range C9:Y11 (ColC is the match)[COMMA] value we want is in column X [COMMA] HERE we expect a TRUE or FALSE argument BUT there is an if statement here
    VLookUp.jpg
    i tried that but it still returns a value from j9 of Agency contract X9 is 0 if X9 is 8 it works fine but not if X9 is 0

VBAX Mentor
    The formula would yield that result if J9 is blank

So try
    =IF(J9="","XXX",IF(J9>Agency_Contract!X9,J9-Agency_Contract!X9,VLOOKUP(D9,Agency_Contract,22,1)))

The formula would yield that result if J9 is blank

So try
    =IF(J9="","XXX",IF(J9>Agency_Contract!X9,J9-Agency_Contract!X9,VLOOKUP(D9,Agency_Contract,22,1)))
    still returns value of J9 which i dont want to happen, J9 shows hours worked, J9 will never be blank at it shows hours worked the problem is if Agency Contract X9 is 0 thats the part of the formula that has the issue. if the cell X9 on Agency contract is 8 everything works great, but if 0 is entered the thats where its going wrong.

if agency Contract X9 has 8 (example) in it the do the calculation which it does,

if the X9 has 0 or is empty then do no calculations and leave the cell that has this formula in blank

VBAX Mentor
    TO:
    =IF(Agency_Contract!X9=0,"XXX",IF(J9>Agency_Contract!X9,J9-Agency_Contract!X9,VLOOKUP(D9,Agency_Contract,22,1)))

and then alter the "XXX" to whatever you want the cell to show

VBAX Mentor
    The above will work if the cell contains a zero.
    But now you have added another condition. You also want it to check if the cell is blank.
    If we sort that are we done?

So change the condition to reflect that
    TO:
    =IF(Agency_Contract!X9=0,"XXX",IF(J9>Agency_Contract!X9,J9-Agency_Contract!X9,VLOOKUP(D9,Agency_Contract,22,1)))

thank you sooooooooo much sir i really mean it.....thank you

Our posts just crossed.
    The above will work if the cell contains a zero.
    But now you have added another condition. You also want it to check if the cell is blank.
    If we sort that are we done?
    So change the condition to reflect that
    TO:

ok another problem now the vlookup part is not working, referencing D9 or D10 or what ever is in Col D

if the company changes then it needs to take that into account, so if i change D9 from Nampak1 which has 8 in X9 to Nampak2 which has 0 in it, then this should be picked up and and the formula change accordingly

it needs to look up the company and say oh yes X Blah is paying overtime after 8 or what ever is in Col X.

Moderator VBAX Wizard Aussiebear's Avatar
    How about you attach a sample file that we can work on. At the moment we seem to chasing shadows on a dark night. In your sample file give a number of possible scenarios so that we can test any proposal
    Remember To Do the Following....
    Use [Code].... [/Code] tags when posting code to the thread.
    Mark your thread as Solved if satisfied by using the Thread Tools options.
    If posting the same issue to another forum please show the link