Consulting

Thread: painful transition from XP to Win8

VBAX Newbie
    painful transition from XP to Win8

my parents got a new computer. the previous machine was Windows XP, the new one is Windows 8. we got everything set up fine, but they want to keep their old email messages and contacts. there are countless guides for how to transfer Outlook files from one to another, or retain the info when upgrading, but none have instructions that apply to this specific transition (for example, one wanted me to "click on the File menu" in the Windows 8 Mail client, where there's no "File menu" to click on). I've found copied the relevent files (Index.dbx etc) to a USB drive, but now I don't know what to do with those files because instructions I've found tell me to look in a folder that doesn't currently exist (and I've already made sure that "hidden" files and folders are visible).

worst case scenario, I can do the Contacts manually and print hardcopies of the most important messages, but I really hope there's a better way to complete this transition.

Index.dbx sounds like Outlook Express and not Outlook. Outlook Express is not compatible with Windows 8 or Outlook. What e-mail application will your parents be using?
    Graham Mayor - MS MVP (Word) 2002-2019
    Visit my web site for more programming tips and ready made processes
    http://www.gmayor.com