Consulting

Thread: Sleeper: 'Unchecked' references

Sleeper: 'Unchecked' references

For a given workbook I am able to obtain information about project references and whether the link is good:

For Each proj In ThisWorkbook.VBE.VBProject.VBProjects
    For Each ref in proj.References
    Next ref
    Next proj
    but this only iterates the checked boxes. Is there a way to obtain the name and path of unchecked items?

Stan

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Hmmm. which sort of begs the question as to where Excel gets that information to display.

Thank you.

Stan

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Hmmm. which sort of begs the question as to where Excel gets that information to display.
    Excel has a ton of information that is not exposed to the object model.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Excel has a ton of information that is not exposed to the object model.
    understood... but at sometime something was done either through WMI or the Registry to obtain a list of registered typelibs/dlls/ocxs on the system to populate the initial list of available references with Name, path, GUID with a property for isBroken.

I guess to put this into the larger context of my question. If one creates a workbook with a reference to Object x - checked, and that workbook is ported to another PC where Object x exists, albeit in a different path, or maybe has never been checked on any workbook in that system - what is the status of the workbook in the new location? Or another way to put it, are the references part of the workbook or the application?

Stan

References are part of the Workbook. When the workbook is opened Excel/VBA tries to resolve them. Sometimes it manages different versions and/or paths correctly, sometimes it doesn't. If it can't resolve a reference it sets it to BROKEN. You can check for broken references - if you (your code) know the one you're dealing with you may be able to provide some intelligence that Excel doesn't have but, unless you can do that, I don't see how having access to the list would help you and, if you can do that you can probably manage without the list.

Out of personal interest I would like to know a bit more about how the list is populated but I don't think it likely to be useful in VBA code.
    Enjoy,
    Tony

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.
    Teach him how to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

I'm (slowly) building my own site: www.WordArticles.com

but I don't think it likely to be useful in VBA code.Today 02:10 PM
    to quote a friend (on another BBS)

I'd create reports in VBA, dialogs, etc and then ship it off to another employee...then the programs often didn't work! Even on PCs with the exact image as mine (files and dlls in the same named folders, etc).

First order of business: open excel, go to References, uncheck all being used and then recheck them. Resave the XLS file. Now it works.

I rarely use excel anymore, has that "feature" been fixed ?
    some of us who work in situations such as these would probably consider it useful... if not in strictly in VBA code

Administrator
    Chat VP
    Echoing what Tony said, I don't see the point in iterating all the UNchecked references Stan. You can find all the references that are being used and check (set) them programmatically with a workbook open event - this may be more useful...

Also, I've never struck this before (Office 2000) - would be interested to see if anyone else has (earlier versions maybe?):
    I'd create reports in VBA, dialogs, etc and then ship it off to another employee...then the programs often didn't work! Even on PCs with the exact image as mine (files and dlls in the same named folders, etc).

First order of business: open excel, go to References, uncheck all being used and then recheck them. Resave the XLS file. Now it works.

I rarely use excel anymore, has that "feature" been fixed ?
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

I want to thank eveyone for their comments. I meant to be neither annoying or insistent. I adopted the brute force method. Created a testref.xls and manually marked all references that could be resolved. Then wrote code to iterate the name,description,major,minor,GUID,path,broken and builtin properties to an XML recordset. This can then be used to verify (by existence of either the file/path or the GUID) references on another PC prior to even invoking Excel or other applications. the testref file can then be used as a repository for adding additional references (i.e. like Tidy, xStandard, VSFlex, ChilKat...) and the xml easily updated.

If anyone is interested in the XML I can post it.

Stan

Administrator

Although I personally consider it an overkill, what your friend said about uncheching and then checking all the references can be done programmatically as follows

Option Explicit

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
          Dim RestoreRef As String, Reference As Object, N As Long
          With ThisWorkbook.VBProject.References
                For N = 1 To .Count
                      Set Reference = .Item(N)
                      RestoreRef = Reference.GUID
                      On Error Resume Next    '< cant remove default refs
                      .Remove Reference
                      .AddFromGuid _
                                  GUID:=RestoreRef, Major:=1, Minor:=0
                Next N
          End With
          Set Reference = Nothing
    End Sub
    HTH,
    John
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.