Consulting

Thread: Powerpoint: Creating a checkbox that can be edited in slide mode

Powerpoint: Creating a checkbox that can be edited in slide mode

Hello,

So, I need a simple way to indicate if a slide has been updated or not. My idea was to include a small checkbox on each slide for the user to click, populating the checkbox, when they've updated the slide. The issue is that the checkbox in developer/controls is only usable in presentation mode. I need this to be editable in slide mode, where the users will be doing their editing of the slides themselves. Is there a simple way to do this and I'm just missing it? I'm open to alternative ideas for indicators as well. I'm just trying to make this as simple as possible.

Thank you so much for any suggestions. I appreciate it,
    Taylor

VBAX Master
    There's no simple way to get a checkbox "clickable" in edit mode.

Probably the correct solution would be an AddIn that created a new ribbon button and toggled any checkbox on the current slide. Fairly easy for a competent programmer to create. I have attached a demo of how this would look. Feel free to save as an AddIn and use if you know how. There's a new button in REVIEW.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by John Wilson; 05-28-2015 at 09:50 AM.
    John Wilson
    Microsoft PowerPoint MVP
    Amazing Free PowerPoint Tutorials
    http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoi...tutorials.html

VBAX Sage
    How about a macro to add a tag "Edited" = "EDITED"?

It could also add a textbox to the slide that says "Been Edited"

A second macro to reset the tag and remove the text box?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Quote Originally Posted by John Wilson View Post
    There's no simple way to get a checkbox "clickable" in edit mode.

Probably the correct solution would be an AddIn that created a new ribbon button and toggled any checkbox on the current slide. Fairly easy for a competent programmer to create. I have attached a demo of how this would look. Feel free to save as an AddIn and use if you know how. There's a new button in REVIEW.
    Thank you, John! I am going to take some time and learn more about this technique, as I'm not a programmer. Very cool trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Hossler View Post
    How about a macro to add a tag "Edited" = "EDITED"?

It could also add a textbox to the slide that says "Been Edited"

A second macro to reset the tag and remove the text box?
    Thanks for the idea, Paul! That's something I could execute.

Could anyone tell me how to add a clickable checkbox to a slide in PowerPoint 2011 for Mac? I've never used VBA before so I'm not sure where to even begin with this (but I was able to find and view the Developer tab). My goal wit this is to create a clickable checklist such that when an empty check box is clicked, a check mark appears inside the box.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

VBAX Master
    This is one of those things that is much harder on a Mac. (Pretty well impossible AFAIK without fairly complex code but I'm not a Maccy) You could probably MAKE it on a PC and it would run on a Mac if you use trigger animations.
    John Wilson
    Microsoft PowerPoint MVP

VBAX Newbie
    This is one of those things that is much harder on a Mac. (Pretty well impossible AFAIK without fairly complex code but I'm not a Maccy) You could probably MAKE it on a PC and it would run on a Mac if you use trigger animations.
    Definitely. Nigh impossible on mac.

VBAX Newbie
    Reviving an old post

There's no simple way to get a checkbox "clickable" in edit mode. There's a new button in REVIEW.
    Hi,
    I hope you can help with a follow up to your solution. I have a similar problem with 20+ people editing a slide template in various ways. To simplify things, I need them to choose among check-boxes, and submit their edited slides for complication.
    I was hoping the add-on on this post would do the trick, but it only allows Check-all or Uncheck-all which doesn't solve the issue.

Hope you/anyone can help as the VBA is locked to play around with.

Thanks in advance!

VBAX Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rena View Post
    Hi,
    I hope you can help with a follow up to your solution. I have a similar problem with 20+ people editing a slide template in various ways. To simplify things, I need them to choose among check-boxes, and submit their edited slides for complication.
    I was hoping the add-on on this post would do the trick, but it only allows Check-all or Uncheck-all which doesn't solve the issue.

Hope you/anyone can help as the VBA is locked to play around with.

Thanks in advance!
    The code I posted should only check / uncheck the checkbox on the current slide in view. If you want to choose whick check on a slide is affected you would need much more complex code. We can code this (probably) but it wouldn't be a free job.
    John Wilson
    Microsoft PowerPoint MVP

VBAX Master
    You could maybe try this though! It MUST be saved as a PPAM AddIn and loaded and you should use CTRL Click to toggle checkboxes.

Unless you know what you are doing I wouldn't mess with the code.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    John Wilson
    Microsoft PowerPoint MVP

VBAX Master
    Just so you know the above should (sort of) work but it is not the best solution for regular use. You really read a ribbon menu that reads the checkbox names on the selected slide and can toggle the value when the corresponding menu item is chosen. This is certainly possible but not a trivial project.

Might look like :
    https://www.screencast.com/t/RHIkMia4T7Q
    Last edited by John Wilson; 12-31-2017 at 06:34 AM.
    John Wilson
    Microsoft PowerPoint MVP