Consulting

Thread: Post Holding thread for my own use

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    VBAX Sage
    The Index says it was started by Paul, because his is the earliest dated post I merged into the thread. In fact, I created the thread. SamT

Good Threads post

One master and 30 other WBs -- is the Master the only one with code? Probably not, no one is ever that lucky.

<<Personal Opinion Mode = On>>

For something like that, I'd think first about the architecture of the whole thing first, before I tried to decide if more With/End Withs were needed, etc.

I prefer to seperate the different types of entities some how

1. Control (user commands, system configuration/status,etc.)

2. Data (possibly entry and validation as well as storage)

3. Calculation (possibly by updating other cells or worksheets in the Data)

4. Presentation (reports, pivot tables, charts, a worksheet with JOIN-ed data to make reporting filtering easier, etc.

I typically find that I usually end up going Top Down and Bottoms Up. By that I mean as I worki from the top level, I find that I need a subroutine to do something. I try to make it very general purpose since I know that later I'll probably need to make it smarter to handle something else that I haven't thought about yet. That way I have one sub that will handle many different situations well, instead of many subs that only do one thing.

VERY simple example, in one place I might need to validate that 0<X<100, in another that -10<Y<25, etc. A function: IsXValid(X) works at first, but then later I would need IsYValid(Y).

I try to be alert to oppertunies to make a previous function a little smarter, instead of just quickly writting another one. Instead of writting IsYValid, I'd make the first one IsNumberValid (X, Optional LowVal as long = 0, HiVal as Long = 99999)

Silly example maybe, but the concept works for me, even if it's not 100% effecient and involves re-work.

I ALWAYS go for maintainablity and clarity, even if the code in not tuned to maximum efficency. After all, I'm the person who will have to read the source code in 6 or 24 months and try to figure out just what the heck I was doing

<<Personal Opinion Mode = Off>>

Getting off my soap box now

Paul
    Last edited by SamT; 07-03-2015 at 12:37 AM.