Consulting

Thread: interpolation

VBAX Regular
    interpolation

Dear Forum,
    I am looking to make interpolation way to expand original scanned curve+digitalised over step of 1 in the "x" axe, so thank you sir to support me to fulfill the column"F".

over this forum, I tested macro from this forum discussion "InterpolationData_Example.xlsm", but its not accurate at all,!!

looking for your advice, thank you in advance
    Br,
    Amrane
    Attached Files Attached Files

The thread you referenced was: http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/show...ith-empty-data

Try changing the scale to be the same so that you can compare apples to apples.

I know of some polynominal fits we could try if the scale deal doesn't pan out for you.

VBAX Regular

thank you sir for your advice,
    actually I was referring to the same tread, I used the function in my second sheet "=PINTERP($A$2:$A$15,$B$2:$B$15,E2)", but the result are not so good, for instance:
    In the original curve the max is [14024.056 // 7.0932953: cells( 9,a & b)] no more than 10 in the vertical axe,
    but
    the interpolated curve it is more than 30: ie [14012 33.33822278: cells( 69,E & F)]

so the produced curve is not so accurate, , is there any way to improve?

thank you sir for you help,

Br, Amrane

If you use it just for those X points, it returns the same Y points. If you use it for each whole number of X points, even for the same X point used earlier, it returns a slightly different Y point.

You could try a spline fit if you don't need smoothing. An addon says it can find the Y point given and X. http://www.xlxtrfun.com/XlXtrFun/XlXtrFun.htm

If you just want to try splines, see: shg's post #2 at: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-q...ions-code.html

SHG's routine returns the X and then the Y points. After adding his routines, enter this in one cell: =CubicSpline($A$2:$B$15,1,1)
    Press F2, select 28 rows in a column and press Alt+Ctrl+Enter. Again, it is very close to the original Y points. No or interpolation or extrapolation is possible. One can easily to extrapolation between two known points with the same slope though using standard routines.

VBAX Regular

thank you soo much for your help, the function "interpolate" under "XlXtrFun.xll" is perfect.

Br,
    Amrane