Consulting

Thread: Split on cell into various rows with VBA

VBAX Newbie
    Split on cell into various rows with VBA

Hi anyone,

I have a spreadsheet that pulls data from various other files and gives a report in of out of stock items at different clinics in one cell as below:

3 ATTERIDGEVILLE July1E Abacavir (ABC) (Aspen Abacavir) 300mg Tablet; 60 PT Ready Pack [PO]\Amethocaine 1% Cream; 25 g [TOP]\Benzoyl Peroxide 5% Gel; 40 g [TOP]\Bismuth Subgallate Co 22.5/8,75/8,75/12,5/ Ointment; 25 g [TOP]\Emulsifying (UE) BP Ointment; 500 g [TOP]\Lopinavir / Ritonavir (LPV/RTV) (Aluvia) 200/50mg Tablet; 120 PT Ready Pack [PO]
    3 DANVILLE July1E
    2 DOORNPOORT July1E
    5 EAST LYNNE July1E
    3 FF RIBEIRO July1E
    3 FOLANG July1E
    3 GAZANKULU July1E
    3 HERCULES July1E Allopurinol 100mg Tablet; 28 PT Ready Pack [PO]\Beclomethasone Diproprionate 200mcg Inhaler; 200 Dose\Bismuth Subgallate Co 22.5/8,75/8,75/12,5/ Ointment; 25 g [TOP]\Calcium Carbonate, Glycine (Chewable) 420mg/180mg Tablet; 56 PT Ready Pack [PO]\Chlorpheniramine Maleate 4mg Tablet; 10 PT Ready Pack [PO]\Ferrous Sulphate Co (Sugar Coated) 200mg Tablet; 28 PT Ready Pack [PO]\Folic Acid 5mg Tablet; 28 PT Ready Pack [PO]\Ipratropium Bromide (Aerosol Oral Inhalation Metered Dose Complete Unit) 40mcg/dose Inhaler; 300 Dose [INH]\Lamivudine (3TC) (Cipla Lamivudine) 150mg Tablet; 60 PT Ready Pack [PO]\Mebendazole 100mg/5ml Suspension; 30 ml [PO]\Paracetamol 500mg Tablet; 20 PT Ready Pack [PO]\Sterile Water For Irrigation, Pour Bottle BP NA; 1000 ml [DIS]\Vaccine: BCG Intradermal, with Diluent BP Vial; 20 Dose [INJ]\Vaccine: Hepatitis B Peadiatric Vial; 10 Dose [INJ]\Zidovudine (AZT) (Retrovir) 50mg/5ml Syrup; 200 mL [PO]\Zinc Picolinate, Selenium & Vit C 200ml 1 Liquid, Internal; 200 ml [PO]
    I have used "\" as the separator. I need to transpose theses columns into a new sheet listing all the items below each clinic, each item in a new line. Will this be possible?

I will really appreciate any help

welcome to the forum.

i assume your table is in Sheet1 and does not have a header row, and new table will be in Sheet2.

try:

Sub vbax_53288_split_cell_as_new_rows()

Dim i As Long, j As Long, k As Long
        Dim CellSplit

Worksheets("Sheet2").Cells.Clear

j = 1

With Worksheets("Sheet1")
            For i = 1 To .Cells(.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
                If .Cells(i, 4) = "" Then
                    Worksheets("Sheet2").Cells(j, 1).Value = .Cells(i, 1).Value
                    Worksheets("Sheet2").Cells(j, 2).Value = .Cells(i, 2).Value
                    Worksheets("Sheet2").Cells(j, 3).Value = .Cells(i, 3).Value
                    j = j + 1
                Else
                    CellSplit = Split(.Cells(i, 4), "\")
                    For k = LBound(CellSplit) To UBound(CellSplit)
                        Worksheets("Sheet2").Cells(j, 1).Value = .Cells(i, 1).Value
                        Worksheets("Sheet2").Cells(j, 2).Value = .Cells(i, 2).Value
                        Worksheets("Sheet2").Cells(j, 3).Value = .Cells(i, 3).Value
                        Worksheets("Sheet2").Cells(j, 4).Value = CellSplit(k)
                        j = j + 1
                    Next k
                End If
            Next i
        End With

End Sub
    PLS DO NOT PM; OPEN A THREAD INSTEAD!!!

1) Posting Code
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE]
    (or paste your code, select it, click # button)

2) Uploading File(s)
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) (multiple files can be selected while holding Ctrl key) / Upload Files / Done
    Replace company specific / sensitive / confidential data. Include so many rows and sheets etc in the uploaded workbook to enable the helpers visualize the data and table structure. Helpers do not need the entire workbook.

3) Testing the Codes
    always back up your files before testing the codes.

4) Marking the Thread as Solved
    from Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)

VBAX Newbie
    Works very well

Hi mancubus

This works beautifully. I am attaching the file on which I am working. I am VERY new at vba and would appreciate if you could add an extra column to the new sheet that is transposed... I renamed the sheets to Sheet1 and Sheet2

SDBIP.xlsm

Many thanks

you are welcome.

i dont understand the second requirement.
    can you upload your workbook with Sheet2 having the desired output?

btw, you can use original sheet names.

1) Posting Code

2) Uploading File(s)
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) (multiple files can be selected while holding Ctrl key) / Upload Files / Done
    Replace company specific / sensitive / confidential data. Include so many rows and sheets etc in the uploaded workbook to enable the helpers visualize the data and table structure. Helpers do not need the entire workbook.

3) Testing the Codes

VBAX Newbie
    shortcut key?

Hi mancubus,

I saw how to change the sheet names thank you very much. I would just like to inquire if there is any way in which one can use a shortcut key like [Ctrl]+[Shift]+[N] to run the module?

Thank you again. You have saved me approximately 7 hours of work every Monday

i would personally use a button. you can google with "excel vba insert button to sheet".

thanks google for saving me writing this.

Developer Tab, Code Group, Macros (or Alt and F8 keys).
    Click Options
    Select the macro in the box
    Click Options.
    Input n while pressing Shift key (Ctrl + letter for lowercase / Ctrl + Shift + letter for uppercase).
    Click OK.
    Click Cancel.

ps1: The shortcut key will override any equivalent default Microsoft Excel shortcut keys while the workbook that contains the macro is open.
    ps2: The shortcut key cant use a number or special character, such as @ or #.
    ps3: at first assignement you will see only Ctrl + button in the box. After inputting letter while pressing Shift button, you will see Ctrl + Shift + in the box

visual explanation:
    http://www.wiseowl.co.uk/blog/s139/s...cros-excel.htm

1) Posting Code

2) Uploading File(s)

3) Testing the Codes