Consulting

Thread: Outlook Macro - Creating a rule to save to specific folder

Outlook Macro - Creating a rule to save to specific folder

Hi Guys,

I need some help with an issue that I have. I'm working on trying to create an outlook rule using VBA code. I don't have much experience in writing VBA code so hence my struggle. I receive emails from a specific email address everyday. Sometimes I only receive 5 emails sometimes it is over 100. All of the emails are in the same format. It begins with a 3 letter code like ABC, BBB, AAA, ie (there are about 30 different letter codes). After the letter codes there is a space or a dash with the following Document 1, Contract 2, Report 1. So to summarize they are setup in the following format [3 Letter Code] [document name].

My goal is to create a VBA that will save these emails to a specific folder using the 3 letter code then using the document name under the folder with the attachments.

ABC
    Report 1
    Contract 2

BBB
    Report 71
    Contact 6

Is this possible with outlook VBA and do you have a suggestions on how I can do this?

Thanks

The short answer is that it is possible to do this, but you will need to clarify EXACTLY what the messages look like (can you attach one, or a screenshot of one?) and what you want to do with them?

What do the following mean?
    After the letter codes there is a space or a dash with the following Document 1, Contract 2, Report 1. So to summarize they are setup in the following format [3 Letter Code] [document name].
    The two statements don't equate to one another.

Is the string in the subject or the message body? Are the 'codes' always in upper case? What determines whether there is a space or a dash?

And

lsave these emails to a specific folder using the 3 letter code then using the document name under the folder with the attachments.
    What 'specific folder'?. Is this a Windows folder or an Outlook folder?

What are the attachments? Where do you want them saved?
    Graham Mayor - MS MVP (Word) 2002-2019
    Visit my web site for more programming tips and ready made processes
    http://www.gmayor.com