Consulting

Thread: Advanced Filter and Multi Graphing

VBAX Tutor
    Advanced Filter and Multi Graphing

I have a dataset of 400k rows. Each day I need to perform several hundred filters and graph each one. Each row of data comprises a BSP value,DIV$ value and these are derived by using a combination of three references #1, #2, #3.

From the abridged table attached, I elect to interrogate the characteristics of the combination 2-2-1. This requires the dataset to be filtered into 4 possible combinations: 2-2-1, 2-2-*, 2-*-1, *-2-1. These four separate series of actions to filter each scenario to a different sheet, takes too much time.

On the attachment, the 'Base' sheet shows the wish list appearance of the final result i.e. The four graphs plotted consecutively, one above the other for a quick view. (I've achieved this by a snipping tool). After looking at the four tiled graphs, I would be able to 'clear all', re enter a new combination in I1:K1 and the new graphs appear below.

The purpose of the strategy is to 'at a glace' look for values on the 'blue' line that are profitable (a rising red line) in all four instances. In this example it would be a BSP range of 0 to 4. A couple of things, there is a subtotal column that adds the visible DIV$ using the SUBTOTAL function for each graph. As the dataset is large, this function slows the processor down markedly. So bad in fact, that when I copy the filtered data from the 'Base' sheet to another sheet, I don't copy & paste the Sub Total column, only the BSP & DIV$ cols and then plot a simple A+B result to achieve a running subtotal. Not sure if there's a better way?

So the solution required by my post is, " Can you loop a vba routine to create 4 stacked graphs (incl secondary Y axis) on the 'Base' sheet for each possible combination of three numbers?"....without the computer taking several minutes to achieve the task? (computer i7, 16GB RAM)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Button in the vicinity of cell D2 in the attached renews 4 pictures of charts.
    I moved the data down below row 40 as the hiding/showing of rows with advanced filter was screwing their sizes up.
    You will need to tweak the ranges in the code to accommodate your real data.
    I had to change the #1,#2,#3 headers to Num1, Num2 etc. as Advanced filter did not like them.
    Manually change the 4 filters in I1:K4 and click the button to delete and re-create the 4 chart pictures.

I think you may have to keep the subtotals as the values change depending on what's showing. The attached sheet has a hotchpotch of calculations in column B, I don't think it was me that changed them. This will be important to give you the charts you want.

Speed? Well, you'll have to report back on that one.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Tutor
    Pascal, thankyou for your reply. All is not good though. In your workout, range B42:B61 contains a mix of cell + cell and SUBTOTAL(9,Range) formula. They should be all SUBTOTALs I believe? If you change the criteria to 1-1-1 say, only two records match. The LH X axis scale is not reflecting the true sub totals 334(0+334) and 514(334+180).

That aside, I have progressed with this since my first post. With 400k rows to sort, the SUBTOTAL formula just crashes excel. What I do is manually select the combinations using FILTER, then use vba to copy the new col length to Sheet2 where it inserts a simple Row1cell+Row2cell+Row3cell....to work out the running totals. Then I trigger another VBA to graph it using OFFSET to adjust for range. It means I can only do one combination at a time but at least the computer doesn't freeze.
    Cheers

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    I made something with advancedfilter & sum(): no subtotal needed.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RINCONPAUL View Post
    In your workout, range B42:B61 contains a mix of cell + cell and SUBTOTAL(9,Range) formula.
    I said as much in my message:
    Quote Originally Posted by p45cal View Post
    The attached sheet has a hotchpotch of calculations in column B, I don't think it was me that changed them.
    See attached which has been tweaked to accommodate snb's idea.
    Last edited by p45cal; 09-14-2015 at 07:18 AM.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Sage
    I'd do a simple process to a temp sheet for the 4 options and make the charts off of that sheet

Option Explicit
    Sub UpdateCharts()
        Dim wsTemp As Worksheet, wsBase As Worksheet
        Dim rBase As Range, rChartSource As Range

Set wsBase = Worksheets("Base")
        Set rBase = wsBase.Cells(6, 1).CurrentRegion
        Set rBase = rBase.Cells(2, 1).Resize(rBase.Rows.Count - 1, rBase.Columns.Count)

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

'remove and create new Temp, clear names
        On Error Resume Next
        Application.DisplayAlerts = False
        Worksheets("Temp").Delete
        Application.DisplayAlerts = True
        On Error GoTo 0

Worksheets.Add
        Set wsTemp = ActiveSheet
        wsTemp.Name = "Temp"

If wsBase.AutoFilterMode Then wsBase.AutoFilterMode = False
        rBase.Rows(1).AutoFilter

'add first filter 2-2-1
        rBase.AutoFilter Field:=4, Criteria1:="2"
        rBase.AutoFilter Field:=5, Criteria1:="2"
        rBase.AutoFilter Field:=6, Criteria1:="1"
        Call wsBase.AutoFilter.Range.Copy
        wsTemp.Select
        wsTemp.Cells(1, 1).Select
        Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
        Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteFormats, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
        Application.CutCopyMode = False
        wsBase.AutoFilterMode = False
        'add second filter 2-2-0
        wsTemp.Select
        wsTemp.Cells(1, 8).Select
        Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
        Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteFormats, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False

'add third filter 2-0-1
        wsTemp.Select
        wsTemp.Cells(1, 15).Select

'add fourth filter 0-2-1
        wsTemp.Select
        wsTemp.Cells(1, 22).Select

'update series
        With Worksheets("Charts")
            Application.DisplayAlerts = False
            Set rChartSource = wsTemp.Cells(1, 1).CurrentRegion
            Set rChartSource = rChartSource.Cells(1, 1).Resize(rChartSource.Rows.Count, 2)
            .ChartObjects("Chart 1").Activate
            ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=rChartSource
            Set rChartSource = wsTemp.Cells(1, 8).CurrentRegion
            .ChartObjects("Chart 2").Activate

Set rChartSource = wsTemp.Cells(1, 15).CurrentRegion
            .ChartObjects("Chart 3").Activate

Set rChartSource = wsTemp.Cells(1, 22).CurrentRegion
            .ChartObjects("Chart 4").Activate
            Application.DisplayAlerts = True
        End With

wsTemp.Visible = xlSheetHidden

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
        Worksheets("Charts").Select
    End Sub
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

VBAX Tutor
    Pascal, I've only had time to test this quickly on a small dataset, but on the surface appears a very good solution. If you've been able to overcome the critical slowing of the computer crunching those SUBTOTAL's then that's fantastic! You're like a champion high jumper, I set the bar higher, you still sail over it. I'll report back tomorrow on a big test.

As always, thankyou so much.

VBAX Tutor

Thankyou for your input. I did a quick test and there were some issues, however, will sit down to look at it more closely tomorrow. Get back to you then.

Cheers

VBAX Tutor
    When it's knock off time, most people are out the door with a rush. But there's always the few who hang back to finish something off. Then there's a very select few who, even when they're finished, push the boundaries even more to improve on where they finished off!
    p45cal (Pascal) is one such individual, and in his own time has taken my code request to new heights.

Great work Pascal.