Consulting

Thread: Can you call a Sub from a Function?

Can you call a Sub from a Function?

Title says it all. Can you?

A function cannot modify a worksheet but a subroutine can. So can you call a subroutine from a function to modify a range of cells?

VBAX Expert

A function cannot modify a worksheet but a subroutine can. So can you call a subroutine from a function to modify a range of cells?
    Assuming you are refering to VBA functions and subs: not sure where you told that a function cannot modify a worksheet. They can and I have some that do. It is probably not a good practice to do that, but ...

Functions can call subs or anything else. I have numerous functions that call subs which call other functions, etc. There may be a practical limit to "things calling things", but I have never encountered it.
    "It's not just the due date that's important, it's also the do date" [MWE]

When your problem has been resolved, mark the thread SOLVED by clicking on the Thread Tools dropdown menu at the top of the thread.

Site Admin
    Jedi Master
    You can Call a Sub, but you still cannot modify the worksheet if the Function is called from a cell. If the Function is called from a Sub then you have more options.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar

Of course you can, but if you try and modify the worksheet in a sub called from a function invoked within the worksheet it will fail.

You don't get around it that easily <vbg>.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Knowledge Base Approver
    The King of Overkill! VBAX Master

While you can call a sub from a function, you still can't manipulate a worksheet from a worksheet function calling a sub even if that sub has the actual code.

Sorry
    Matt