Consulting

Thread: Outlook Ribbon 'Traffic Lights'

Outlook Ribbon 'Traffic Lights'

Hi

Newbie, please go easy on me...
    Using Office 2013, and within Outlook I am trying to set up a custom button, which really isn’t a button but more of an indicator.

Let me explain what I am trying to do. Like most I have a very busy inbox, lots of e-mails are received which are irrelevant, others are just notifications of a process being completed etc.

I was looking for an easy way to have say a set of ‘indicators’ within a custom ribbon, lets say like traffic lights. As each specific e-mail is received for a process completion the indicator changes from red to green in my traffic light example. At the end of the day it’s a quick glance at my custom ribbon to ensure all is OK, rather than troll through various folders.

Is this possible? In its simplest form I thought create a custom button, code (grey) it out and then off the back of a rule which looks at email specifics, a script is fired which makes the button visible again, my visual indicator.

However as a newbie I can’t seem to even get this to work, I know ActiveInspector.CurrentItem.Actions("Reply All").Enabled = False will grey out the ‘reply all’ button but can’t seem to modify this to work on a custom one.

Any help / pointers most appreciated.

Thanks
    G.

Ok, so I have managed to find out that custom buttons live a file created in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\olkexplorer.officeUI
    by manually editing this file I can make my button visible, enable it change its icon etc.
    so in the simplest form of what I am now trying to achieve, (make a button grey or active) how do I go about getting a VBA script to amend the xml code from 'enabled=false' to 'enabled=true'
    anyone?

Ok, here is the code that performs exactly what I am looking to do in Excel. I just want to migrate it to Outlook.

(3w's dot) rondebruin.nl/win/s2/win013.htm

Does anyone have any pointers?