Consulting

Thread: Excel won't load using 3rd party software

VBAX Tutor
    Excel won't load using 3rd party software

This is more of a tech question. 3 days ago, a program I use, that connects with an excel workbook and they interact, won't load anymore? In the 3rd party's screen it says it's connected but Task manager confirms that it isn't and the screen is blank of the workbook.

The software providers solution is to use system restore to an earlier period, but just yesterday Office 365 upgraded excel to 2016 (still won't work with the 3rd PS), so I see that as a backward step? They blame excel, but what would've happened to excel to prevent it opening to a request to open all of a sudden after nearly a year of working daily. Excel on it's own has no issues.

I'm kinda stuck as the 3PS people can't offer a plausible solution. I can't use it anymore, and it's how I make my living.

"34d PS" "3PS" "3rd party"? What is the actual name of the Software and who is the software provider?
    connects with an excel workbook
    Which Workbook?

the screen is blank of the workbook.
    If it's blank, how do you know it's a Workbook? What does the Title Bar say?

Really, Paul, I can't see your computer from my desk.

Take a deep breath and give us lots and lots of details.
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

I recommend creating a restore point and then doing what the vendor asked. If it works, then the vendor's software was not designed to handle the upgrade. They could expect to get more calls and complaints.

VBAX Tutor
    Quote Originally Posted by SamT View Post
    "34d PS" "3PS" "3rd party"? What is the actual name of the Software and who is the software provider?

Which Workbook?

If it's blank, how do you know it's a Workbook? What does the Title Bar say?

Really, Paul, I can't see your computer from my desk.

Take a deep breath and give us lots and lots of details.

VBAX Tutor
    SamT, the software is Bet Angel, a UK based company. It is a betting analysis program that triggers bets calculated from the excel worksheet and submits them to Betfair. Just wasn't sure if the Moderator permits references to other software?....but seeing as you asked LOL

The workbook is just a couple of worksheets, one which duplicates the prices and volume data that Betfair provides into a spreadsheet format. The other sheet comprises tailored functions that respond to those prices to trigger bets.

To answer poster Kenneth, the problem occurred before the 2016 upgrade i.e. excel 2015 and hasn't changed despite the upgrade.

It doesn't matter which workbook I ask Bet Angel to open, it can't open any excel file all of a sudden. If I system restore, that will take the computer back to a time before the upgrade (so wouldn't all of the Office365 upgrades be lost too?) I'm thinking that's pretty drastic?

To answer the other poster

VBAX Tutor
    I've attached a screenshot which to the right: shows that Bet Angel is connected to Angel Bet System12.xlsm...and to the right: shows task manager and excel hasn't loaded at all?
    Attached Images Attached Images

VBAX Tutor
    Bet Angel's Excel integration works by usingMicrosoft's Office Automation libraries. Bet Angel starts the Excel automationmodule and that in turn should start Excel and display it. If Bet Angel isn'tgetting an error then the automation module must be ok and the fault is on theExcel side of things. Perhaps a registry issue or something.

It's the something??....that's what I'd like to find.

First thing to try is following the instructions here as if it was the first time.

If you can't get it to work with that, try uninstalling and reinstalling BA.

VBAX Tutor
    Part 1 of your solution is rudimentary stuff, like I posted, I've done this procedure 100's of times for no issues.
    Just uninstalled and reinstalled the very latest release. Guess what??.....nothing's changed. It just doesn't seem to recognise the existence of excel? Baffling.

The BA site has a community forum. See if anybody there has/had the problem.

In the Windows Control Panel >> Add remove Programs, there is a Show Updates option, use that and sort by date to see if any were done on Excel on or just before the problem started. Just remove that update and see what happens.

VBAX Tutor
    I've discovered that there is a documented issue of excel not loading. Microsoft forums refer to switching something called Dynamic....? On or off. Trouble is, they're all written around 8.1. W10 has changed so much that just finding any of this stuff is a mystery, like Show Updates, referred to by SamT. Not there anymore?....not that I can see?

You try links from a search of "3rd party excel not loading" that return links like this for addon issues might help. http://pragmateek.com/excel-addins-t...hooting-guide/

VBAX Tutor
    Thanks Kenneth and SamT for your suggestions. I ended up getting Microsoft Support to remotely access my computer. They uninstalled and reinstalled Office, and that fixed it.

Cheers

Thank you for your time. I regret that you are experiencing issues with your software and I would be happy to help. Excel may not load correctly when using 3rd party software. If you are having trouble, please try again with different software.