Consulting

Thread: VBA-highlight cell(s) in a column range if empty or greater than a value

VBA-highlight cell(s) in a column range if empty or greater than a value

I am using Excel 2010 (x32). I am new to VBA and trying to create some VBA conditional formatting to be used as data validation. The first column is a data column. I want to fill a cell red if it is empty or orange if the cell is greater than a value in cell B4 on another sheet named "Instructions". I have created the following but it is not working. Any suggestions? Also, instead of the named range of "A2:A2552", can I use a do until or do while loop to accomodate a growing range?

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
        Dim icolor As Integer
        Dim cell As Range

If Intersect(Target, Range("A2:A2552")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

For Each cell In Target
            icolor = 0
            Select Case cell
                Case Is > Range("Instructions!B4"): icolor = 3
                Case "": icolor = 45
            End Select

If icolor <> 0 Then cell.Interior.ColorIndex = icolor
        Next cell
    End Sub
    Last edited by SamT; 11-12-2015 at 10:21 AM.

'Assumes all changes are by the user entering a value

If Intersect(Target, Range("A:A")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
    If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub 'Prevents running on simultaneous changes

With Target
      Select Case .Value
        Case Is > Sheets("Instructions").Range("B4")
          .Interior.ColorIndex = 3
        Case "": .Interior.ColorIndex = 45
      End Select
    End With
    End Sub
    Dim Cel As Range 'Cell is a keyword, do not use Keywords as variables
    Dim DataRange As Range
    Dim Maxx As Double

Set DataRange = Intersect(Target, Range("A:A"))
    If DataRange Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

Maxx = Sheets("Instructions").Range("B4").Value
    'Why look it up more than once

For Each Cel In DataRange
      With Cel
        Select Case .Value
          Case Is > Maxx
            .Interior.ColorIndex = 3
          Case "": .Interior.ColorIndex = 45
        End Select
      End With
    Next Cel
    End Sub
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

Thanks guys for the quick response. I have another question, sorry, I'm still quite new at this. When I try to run the macro, i do not see "Worksheet_Change" in the list of macros. I do not see any macros to run. I have placed this code in the "module1" and then tried "sheet1" without any luck It is almost like I created a function that needs to be called by a macro? Any advise, and again sorry for the confusion

VBAX Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mcinvalek View Post
    Thanks guys for the quick response. I have another question, sorry, I'm still quite new at this. When I try to run the macro, i do not see "Worksheet_Change" in the list of macros. I do not see any macros to run. I have placed this code in the "module1" and then tried "sheet1" without any luck It is almost like I created a function that needs to be called by a macro? Any advise, and again sorry for the confusion
    From the editor side, double click 'Sheet1' (or Instructions) to open it's code module (sort of like a 'standard module' but contains sheet events). Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) is a WS specific event, i.e. only to Sheet1, and it will run whenever there's a cell value change on Sheet1 (see the screen shot). The call HAS to look like that, and Target is the Range with the cell or cells that changed

If B4 on Instructions can change, and some of the col A values might change, you would probably need an event handler on both. The is a WB level, but 2 separate might be easier

Q: You said "some VBA conditional formatting to be used as data validation." There is an Excel conditional formatting (look in [Styles] group on the [Home] tab). Is that what you meant or just have VBA color the cell?

It it's the latter, then I think you'd need to handle cells that no longer meet the B4 criteria

Capture.JPG
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

VBAX Sage
    Here's a small example WB that might give you ideas. It assumes that you really do want to color the cell and not use conditional formatting
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Sam and Paul. I thank you for your assistance. Your corrections worked perfectly.

_keith