Consulting

Thread: Need Visio VBA Code (Macro?) to Create an Index of Names in Text Boxes (family tree)

Need Visio VBA Code (Macro?) to Create an Index of Names in Text Boxes (family tree)

FIRST QUESTION: What is the best source to begin learning VBA?

SECOND QUESTION:

EXAMPLE: Table of Contents in Visio: [See vbaexpress [dot] com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=505 ].

BUT WHAT ABOUT AN INDEX FOR VISIO STANDARD 2016 AND ACCESS 2016?

I don't know VBA yet. But I am doing a 3-column, block diagram of my family tree. Each block has one or more names. Each name has a two part sequential Generation Index (Gendex) number (01.00001 to 13.99999). I have almost 6,000 names, diagrammed, drawn by hand with ink pen and ruler edge, at 527 pages on 11x17 inch size paper. I have began the conversion to Visio Standard 2016. I have 700 pages in Visio loaded with blank boxes and lines ready for the data to be added in those boxes, and lines connected to those boxes forming family groups, allowing for future expansion in each generation for the conversion of my handwritten/drawn family tree to Visio format and for adding new families in the future as I continue my research.

I need to create a index of those names, Gendex numbers, and page numbers in similar manner that is done in Microsoft Word. If a Table of Contents in the linked Article above can be done then an index of names in text boxes with GenDex numbers as a text string and the page numbers they appear in can be bone.

The index must appear in the traditional column index form (LAST NAME, First Name, Middle Name, GenDex number, page numbers) with the option for choosing the number of columns, enough to fit on 11x17 inch paper. Names appear more than once in different sections of 3 generations per section. I need the index to add page numbers to the same name entry and not add multiple index entries for the same name with only one page shown per entry in the same way as Microsoft Word does its index.

It is an impossible task for me because I don't know VBA, yet. If the index feature is not available in Visio Standard w016 then I need someone to write the VBA code for me and provide instructions on how to get into my Visio family tree diagram.

Tech Support for Visio Standard 2016 via Online Chat did give me an online link to a web page that explains how to create an index but I lost that link.

As an alternitive I am trying to build an Access database table of "last names," "LAST NAME," "First Name," "Middle Name," "GenDex Numbers," "page numbers." Perhaps I can just add page numbers to the same data field, i.e., "nnn, nnn, nnn,). Aside from the manual entry of multiple page numbers into the same data field and rely on VBA coding I am running up against the same VBA index problem of combining page numbers for the same individual name even though several people from different families have the same names. Frustrating enough for me to start learning VBA to solve it myself.

Can someone please provide the VBA coding for the Visio index of text in boxes with instructions on how to add it to Visio family tree diagram containing only rectangular boxes? And maybe for Access 2016 as a separately maintained database index as a simultaneous exercise in labor with Visio?

AND AN INCIDENTAL QUESTION ON ADDING NEW PAGES IN VISIO STANDARD 2016

In the event I need to add a new page in a 3-generation section where all the blocks are filled in with data is their an easier way to add a page without using the "+" "add page button" inserting that new page at the end of the 700 pages and then dragging that new page to, say for instance, page 78?

A BURDENSOME ALTERNATIVE: USE EXCEL 2016

I can just double my work load by using Excel simultaneously with Visio. But as I add pages in Visio the index pages in Excel will change on nearly every line entry. That is not a very productive alternative.

Reply here and to Email Address: ki5ss[at]yahoo.com

Thank you.

Don Hamrick

Last edited by Don Hamrick; 11-14-2015 at 11:43 AM.

MY FOLLOW-UP TO MY POST ABOVE.

I posted essentially the same message above once to one of the two, apparently one mirroring the other, Microsoft Developer Network and Developer Center with the Subject: Visio Standard 2016 End User Making a Block Diagram Family Tree of 700 Pages.

I got an email last night in response to my posting at Microsoft Developer Center/Network. See below.

Subject: [Forums] Visio Standard 2016 End User Making a Block Diagram Family Tree of 700 Pages
    To: ki5ss[at]yahoo.com;
    Date: Monday, November 16, 2015 8:30 PM

Another user, George Zhao, (h*t*tps://social.technet.microsoft.com/Profile/George_Zhao), has replied to a thread you have subscribed to in the Visio General Questions and Answers for IT Professional Forum.

Thread Title Visio Standard 2016 End User Making a Block Diagram Family Tree of 700 Pages
    Started by: Don Hamrick

Reply:

Hi,
    Thanks for your feedback, I have collected the info about your requested and submit with our internal channel. It's very important for us.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff[at]microsoft.com.

The Microsoft Developer Network-----------------------------------------------------------------------