Consulting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Making Your Own Date Format

Making Your Own Date Format

Let's say I would like to make my own date format.

Theoretically it would check todays date (day and month) and apply a code (for example that I wrote in Java language)

The reason I am doing it so complicated is that I need really specific date format that is not yet available (to my knowledge) in Office insert: "date and time".

Working principle: IF today's is 22nd of October -> then it would write: "October month twenty second day" <- exactly like this.

My quetion is if it's possible to implement this in Excel (or Word) VBA, when I open a document and it would write in a cell (or top of the document)?
    MS Version 2013
    ' Firstly checking number of the month and applying a name for it

'I am using SWITCH function but could also use IF  - as with days below. 

switch (month) {
                case 1:mo = "January"; 
    break;
                case 2:
                    mo = "February"; 
                    break;
                case 3:
                    mo = "March";
                    break;
    'and so on           
     case 4:
                    mo = "..";
                    break;
                case 5:
                    mo = "..";
                    break;
                case 6:
                    mo = "..";
                    break;
                case 7:
                    mo = "..";
                    break;
                case 8:
                    mo = "..";
                    break;
                case 9:
                    mo = "..";
                    break;
                case 10:
                    mo = "..";
                    break;
                case 11:
                    mo = "..";
                    break;
                case 12:
                    mo = "..";
                    break;
                default:

'Now checking day number and applying name to it:
    if ((day == 1))
    System.out.println(mo + " month" + " first day");
                else if ((day == 2 ))
                    System.out.println(mo + " month" + " second day");
                else if ((day == 3 ))
                    System.out.println(mo + " month" +" third day");
                else if ((day == 4 ))
                    System.out.println(mo + " month" +" fourth day");
                else if ((day == 5 ))
                    System.out.println(mo + " month" +" fith day");

'and so on

' If current date is (DD MM) 03 03,  macro would write : March month third day
    Last edited by student123; 11-23-2015 at 06:30 PM.

VBAX Sage

Option Explicit

Sub test()
        MsgBox SpecialDateFormat(Now)

End Sub

Function SpecialDateFormat(Dt As Date)
        SpecialDateFormat = Format(Dt, "mmmm") & " month " & _
        Array("first", "second", "third", "fourth", "fifth", "sixth", "seventh", _
            "eighth", "ninth", "tenth", "eleventh", "twelfth", "thirteenth", "fourteenth", "fifteenth", _
            "sixteenth", "seventeenth", "eighteenth", "nineteenth", "twentieth", "twenty-first", "twenty-second", _
            "twenty-third", "twenty-fourth", "twenty-fifth", "twenty-sixth", "twenty-seventh", _
            "twenty-eighth", "twenty-ninth", "thirtieth", "thirty-first")(Day(Dt) - 1) & _
            " day"
    End Function
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

That is probably as concise as you'll ever get.
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

Thanks so much!
    1) Since I'll use this not in English, could I also control and rename month names?
    2) How could I make it work to insert in a specific line (when I open a document)?

Option Explicit
    Private Sub Document_OPEN()
    MsgBox SpecialDateFormat(Now)
    End Sub

"eighth", "ninth", "tenth", "eleventh", "twelfth", "thirteenth", "fourteenth", "fifteenth", _
        "sixteenth", "seventeenth", "eighteenth", "nineteenth", "twentieth", "twenty-first", "twenty-second", _
        "twenty-third", "twenty-fourth", "twenty-fifth", "twenty-sixth", "twenty-seventh", _
        " day"
    End Function
    Last edited by student123; 11-24-2015 at 04:23 AM.

VBAX Sage
    Since this is the Excel forum, I assumed a workbook. Do you want a MS Word document?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

[CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done

VBAX Sage
    I think that the Windows Regional settings (Location in Control Panel) will automatically handle that

I told my PC it was in France and that it was May 7, 2015 (US format)

Option Explicit

Sub test()
        MsgBox SpecialDateFormat(DateSerial(2015, 5, 7))
    End Sub

" day"

End Function

Capture.JPG

Is that OK?

Paul

2. Upload an example

I have no idea how to explain this but not really . In my language we have "declensional" nouns and if there is no number to month then it shows wrongly..
    For instance:
    Correctly it should be ( I shall try in Lithuanian ):
    Legend: Sausis is January, menesio - month, septinta - seventh, diena - day. "" means constant word.

Sausio "menesio" 7 "diena" (Sausio with -io at the end: this is correct).

If there is no number to the month as now then it automaticaly writes: (wrong: with - is at the enf.) SausIS "menesio" septinta "diena".

So it would really help if I could edit it (month names )manually.

An example of a Latin noun declension is given below, using the singular forms of the word homo (man), which belongs to Latin's third declension.

• homo (nominative) "[the] man" [as a subject] (e.g., homo ibi stat the man is standing there)
    • hominem (accusative) "[the] man" [as a direct object] (e.g., ad hominem toward the man, in the sense of argument directed personally; hominem vidi I saw the man)
    • hominis (genitive) "of [the] man" [as a possessor] (e.g., nomen hominis est Claudius the man's name is Claudius)
    • hominī (dative) "to [the] man" [as an indirect object] (e.g., homini donum dedi I gave a present to the man; homo homini lupus est Man is a wolf to man.)
    • homine (ablative) "[the] man" [in various uses not covered by the above] (e.g., sum altior homine I am taller than the man).

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Hossler View Post
    Since this is the Excel forum, I assumed a workbook. Do you want a MS Word document?
    Actually, I do not really care if it's excel or word I can easily adapt to it.

VBAX Sage
    The best I can come up with using the rules as I understand them is this. Maybe you can improve it to better meet your requirements

I Googled the Lithuanian months and changed the-is to -io

Option Explicit

Sub test()
        MsgBox SpecialDateFormat(DateSerial(2015, 1, 7))
    End Sub

SpecialDateFormat = _
            Array("Sausio", "Vasaris", "Kovas", "Balandio", "Geguže", "Birželio", _
                "Liepa", "Rugpjutio", "Rugsejio", "Spalio", "Lapkritio", "Gruodio")(Month(Dt) - 1) & _
            " menesio " & _
            Array("first", "second", "third", "fourth", "fifth", "sixth", "septinta", _
                " diena"
    End Function

Paul

2. Upload an example

Use Multiple Arraysand Constants , two for each language.

Const LithuaniaMonthName As Variant = Array("Sausio", "Vasaris", "Kovas", "Balandio", "Geguže", "Birželio", _ 
        "Liepa", "Rugpjutio", "Rugsejio", "Spalio", "Lapkritio", "Gruodio")

Const LithuaniaMonthWord As String = " menesio "

Const LithauniaDaynumber As Variant = Array("first", "second", "third", "fourth", "fifth", "sixth", "septinta", _ 
        "twenty-eighth", "twenty-ninth", "thirtieth", "thirty-first")

Const LithauniaDayWord As String = " diena"
    Repeat the above for each language

Then A Select Case
    Private Function SetArrays()
    SelectCase LocalLanguage
    Case "Lithuanian"
    MonthNameArray =  LithuaniaMonthName
    MonthWord  = LithuaniaMonthWord
    DayNumberArray  = LithauniaDaynumber
    DayWord = LithauniaDayWord

Case EnglishUSA
    MonthNameArray =  USAMonthName
    MonthWord  = USAMonthWord
    DayNumberArray  = USADaynumber
    DayWord = USADayWord
    End Select
    End Function
    Then your Special format code
    SetArrays
        SpecialDateFormat = _ 
        MonthNameArray(Month(Dt) - 1) & _ 
        MonthWord & _ 
        DayNumberArray(Day(Dt) - 1) & _ 
        DayWord 
    End Function
    See how shamelessly I stole Pauls hard work

OK. This is already so so good! Thank you very much for your great work Paul and Sam!

One more thing that I encountered and I think it's quite a tricky one (to my surprise how complicated can a date implementation be):

If you'll try to copy Lithuanian letters used in language (ąčęėįšųūž) to VBA like "č" used in month LapkriČio (November) you'll get "c" or some other symbol that I can't copy in here. This problem is also with number names .

The solution to this problem probably would be to use data of the month and day names outside of vba like from txt file saved in UTF-8?

What you guys think?
    Last edited by student123; 11-24-2015 at 05:11 PM.

From the Program manager of the Excel-5 and VBA development team himself: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html

Now you're getting to the point of having separate Modules for each language.

Assign the Unicode Strings to Constants and use the Constants in the Month and DayNumber arrays

Example for Module "Lithuanian"
    Private Const Sausio As String  = Uni-S & Uni-a & uni-etc & so forth
    Private Const Vasaris As String = Concatenated Unicode Characters

Public Const LithuaniaMonthName As Variant = Array(Sausio, Vasaris, Etc, ) '<-- Constants, not strings, no quote marks
    No other code needs to change.

Advantages of separate language Modules:

You know exactly where to edit errors:

If you know that the documents are only each going to use one language, all Language modules can define the same constants IF you also put "Option Private Module" at the top of the Module until you Drag it into a different MS Application's document. In that case, you don't use the Select Case structure.

Good article. Could you please specify where should I insert this? Can't make it work.

VBAX Sage
    I think the font MS uses for MsgBox doesn't support wide characters, but a textbox on a userform does (see screen shots)

I told the PC it was in Lithuania

The month (and other) strings have to be specially crafted -- I only did November ("Lapkrit" & ChrW(C_caron) & "io") -- but if you do it this way you'll need the wide char values

Also I read the language from the registry to Select Case the right arrays

The xlsm has the userform

Option Explicit
    'See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=VS.85).aspx for meaning of various constants.
    Private Declare Function GetLocaleInfo Lib "kernel32" Alias "GetLocaleInfoA" (ByVal Locale As Long, _
        ByVal LCType As Long, _
            ByVal lpLCData As String, _
                ByVal cchData As Long) As Long

'https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964664.aspx
    Public Const LOCALE_USER_DEFAULT As Long = &H400
    Public Const LOCALE_SABBREVLANGNAME As Long = &H3

Public aMonthNames As Variant
    Public MonthWord As String
    Public aDayNumbers As Variant
    Public DayWord As String
    Public Const C_caron As Long = &H10D

Sub driver()
        MsgBox SpecialDateFormat(DateSerial(2015, 11, 7))
    End Sub

SetArrays
        SpecialDateFormat = _
            aMonthNames(Month(Dt) - 1) & _
            " " & MonthWord & _
            " " & aDayNumbers(Day(Dt) - 1) & _
            " " & DayWord
    End Function

'https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuanian_orthography
    'https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_Extended-A
    'The majority of the Lithuanian alphabet is in the Unicode block C0 controls and basic Latin (non-accented symbols),
    'and the rest of the Lithuanian alphabet (aAcCeEeEiIšŠuUuUžŽ) is in the Latin Extended-A.
    Private Function SetArrays()
        Dim sLang As String
        Dim i As Long
        sLang = GetInfo(LOCALE_SABBREVLANGNAME)

Select Case sLang
            Case "LTH"
                aMonthNames = Array("Sausio", "Vasaris", "Kovas", "Balandio", "Geguže", "Birželio", _
                    "Liepa", "Rugpjutio", "Rugsejio", "Spalio", "Lapkrit" & ChrW(C_caron) & "io", "Gruodio")
                MonthWord = "menesio"
                aDayNumbers = Array("first", "second", "third", "fourth", "fifth", "sixth", "septinta", _
                DayWord = "diena"

Case "ENU"
                aMonthNames = Array("January", "February", "March", "April", "May", "June", _
                                "July", "Auguet", "September", "October", "November", "December")
                MonthWord = "month"
                aDayNumbers = Array("first", "second", "third", "fourth", "fifth", "sixth", "seventh", _
                DayWord = "day"

Case Else
                MsgBox "Oops"
            End Select
    End Function

Private Function GetInfo(ByVal lInfo As Long) As String
        Dim Buffer As String
        Dim ret As String
        Buffer = String$(256, 0)
        ret = GetLocaleInfo(LOCALE_USER_DEFAULT, lInfo, Buffer, Len(Buffer))
        If ret > 0 Then
            GetInfo = Left$(Buffer, ret - 1)
        Else
            GetInfo = vbNullString
        End If
    lbl_Exit:
        Exit Function
    End Function
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Paul

2. Upload an example

Fantastic work! Where could I get the rest of the chrW char letters? I tried ChrW(S_caron) doesn't work like this

VBAX Sage
    I only defined the Constant in hex for C_caron

Public Const C_caron As Long = &H10D

The rest are in the link I included:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_Extended-A

so the others you need would need to be defined the same way using the hex from the link

Paul

2. Upload an example

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    Did you know ?:

=TEXT(TODAY(); "[$-427] mmmm \mo\n\t\h dddd \da\y")

or
    PHP Code:
    Sub M_snb()

MsgBox Application.Text(Date"[$-427]mmmm \mo\n\t\h dddd \da\y")
    End Sub 
    or

PHP Code:
    Sub M_snb()

MsgBox Replace(StrConv(Application.Text(Date 260"[$-427]mmmm \m\o\n\t\h dddd \da\y"), vbUnicode), Chr(0), "")
    End Sub 
    and the result of

PHP Code:
    Sub M_snb()

MsgBox join(Application.GetCustomListContents(4),vblf)
    End Sub 
    Last edited by snb; 11-27-2015 at 01:23 PM.

Here is an Enum you can paste into a standard module named "Unicodes_Latin" and use the constants anywhere in your code as Paul did.
    & ChrW(C_caron) & 
    ChrW(lcCaron) 'From Enum below
    UPDATE: Some errors were found in the Code and the attachment. They have been corrected. If you find more, please Tell me. Many eyes are better than 2

See the Attachment, sheet "Latin" for Character Names

Option Explicit

Enum LatinUnicodes
    UAMacron = 256
    laMacron = 257
    UABreve = 258
    laBreve = 259
    UAOgonek = 260
    laOgonek = 261
    UCAcute = 262
    lcAcute = 263
    UCCircumflex = 264
    lcCircumflex = 265
    UCDotAbove = 266
    lcDotAbove = 267
    UCCaron = 268
    lcCaron = 269
    UDCaron = 270
    ldCaron = 271
    UDStroke = 272
    ldStroke = 273
    UEMacron = 274
    leMacron = 275
    UEBReve = 276
    leBReve = 277
    UEDotAbove = 278
    leDotAbove = 279
    UEOganek = 280
    leOganek = 281
    UECaron = 282
    leCaron = 283
    UGCircumflex = 284
    lgCircumflex = 285
    UGBreve = 286
    lgBreve = 287
    UGDotAbove = 288
    lgDotAbove = 289
    UGCedilla = 290
    lgCedilla = 291
    UHCircumflex = 292
    lhCircumflex = 293
    UHStroke = 294
    lhStroke = 295
    UITilde = 296
    liTilde = 297
    UIMacron = 298
    liMacron = 299
    UIBreve = 300
    liBreve = 301
    UIOganek = 302
    liOganek = 303
    UIDotAbove = 304
    liDotless = 305
    UIJLigature = 306
    lijLigature = 307
    UJCircumflex = 308
    ljCirvumflex = 309
    UKCedilla = 310
    lkCedilla = 311
    lkKra = 312
    ULAcute = 313
    llAcute = 314
    ULCedilla = 315
    llCedilla = 316
    ULCaron = 317
    llCaron = 318
    ULMiddleDot = 319
    llMiddleDot = 320
    ULStroke = 321
    llStroke = 322
    UNAcute = 323
    lnAcute = 324
    UNCedilla = 325
    lnDedilla = 326
    UNCaron = 327
    lnCaron = 328
    'Deprecated = 329 'See Constant below

'European Latin
    UNEngma = 330
    lnEngma = 331
    UOMacron = 332
    loMacron = 333
    UOBreve = 334
    loBreve = 335
    UODblAcute = 336
    loDbleAcute = 337
    UOELigature = 338
    loeLigature = 339
    URAcute = 340
    lrAcute = 341
    URCedilla = 342
    lrCedilla = 343
    URCaron = 344
    lrCaron = 345
    USAcute = 346
    lsAcute = 347
    USCircumflex = 348
    lsCircumflex = 349
    USCedilla = 350
    lsCedilla = 351
    USCaron = 352
    lsCaron = 353
    UTCedilla = 354
    ltCedilla = 355
    UTCaron = 356
    ltCaron = 357
    UTStroke = 358
    ltStroke = 359
    UUTilde = 360
    luTilde = 361
    UUMacron = 362
    luMacrom = 363
    UUBreve = 364
    luBreve = 365
    UURingAbove = 366
    luRingAbove = 367
    UUDblAcute = 368
    luDbleAcute = 369
    UUOganex = 370
    luOganex = 371
    UWCircumflex = 372
    lwCircumflex = 373
    UYCircumflex = 374
    lyCircumflex = 375
    UYDiaeresis = 376
    UZAcute = 377
    lzAcute = 378
    UZDotAbove = 379
    lzDotAbove = 380
    UZCaron = 381
    lzCaron = 382
    lsLongS = 383
    End Enum

'Replaces Deprecated Unicode character 329
    Const lnApostrophePrefix As String = "'n"
    Last edited by SamT; 11-27-2015 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Fond errors

VBAX Sage

1. Slightly simpler

Me.Label1.Caption = Application.Text(DateSerial(2015, 11, 7), "[$-427]mmmm "" menesio "" dddd "" diena""")

2. We tried something very similar, but per #7

In my language we have "declensional" nouns and if there is no number to month then it shows wrongly..

For instance:

Correctly it should be ( I shall try in Lithuanian ):

Legend: Sausis is January, menesio - month, septinta - seventh, diena - day. "" means constant word.

Sausio "menesio" 7 "diena" (Sausio with -io at the end: this is correct).

If there is no number to the month as now then it automaticaly writes: (wrong: with - is at the enf.) SausIS "menesio" septinta "diena".
    but without hand tweaking (AFAIK), you don't get the 'io' at the end

Paul

2. Upload an example

Finally finished, looks chaotic but it works! Thank you so much for your help! You guys are genius!

The last thing that I would like to do is to implement it in my system: when I open a word document (sorry that this post is for excel I did not know that I am going to use in word) there would be a constant place that this specific date format would be inserted. I believe it is possible?

How should I change the code and specify the place? Or maybe it's possible to assign it to {TIME \@ SpecialDateFormat} with auto update?

The attachment: I can't believe but it works.doc
    Last edited by student123; 12-09-2015 at 01:09 PM.