Consulting

Thread: VBA Reverse A string

VBA Reverse A string

Hi guys,

Im new to this forum as well as the VBA language, I was wondering by any chance if someone can help me with a problem.
    I need to figure out a way to reverse a string using the For and Next X format and/or If, Else and Endif.
    Any help would work, especially if you can point me in the right direction!

Thanks in advance

Why do you need those when VBA has a StrReverse function?
    Be as you wish to seem

Its for an assignment

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    It's quite simple, get the length of the string variable, then loop from the last character to the first and put into a new variable. Assuming i is the loop control index, the position in the new variable would be i-Len(original_string)+1.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

I think I would concatenate the new variable and the previous character of the old string
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

VBAX Sage

1. Create a string variable (Dim ...) to hold the reversed string for output

2. Use a For / Next / Step loop to step DOWN by -1 from the LEN of the input string to 1 (the first char)

3. For each iteration, add the i-th char from the MID-dle (that is a hint) of the input string to the end of the output string in 1)

Online help is pretty good
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Just as another thought process for this

You could also look at the RIGHT character of the string then have a temp string that you trim the last character off each iteration and then look at the new RIGHT hand character each time adding to the string. not sure if there is a real benefit but just another approach to the same task

Vox190 how did the assignment go?
    "From the ashes of disaster grow the roses of success" - Chitty chitty bang bang

"I fear not the man who has 10,000 kicks practiced once. I fear the man who has 1 kick practiced 10,000 times" - Bruce Lee