Consulting

Thread: Merge Excel files with different yet similar data headers

Merge Excel files with different yet similar data headers

Hello,
    I have two excel files that I am trying to merge. I've looked at various code examples but they don't seem to work with my issue.

File 1 has the following headers: (this is also my desired output)
    Ledger Group Year Period Fund Code Organization Description Program BOC Pre Encum Amount Encumbrance Amount Expenses Amount

File 2 has the following headers:
    Show Budget Type Ledger Group Account Fund Org Description Program BOC BFY LY Fiscal Year Period Budget Expense Encumbrance Pre-Encumbrance Avail Budget Percent Avail

I only need the following from File 2:
    Ledger Group Fiscal Year Period Fund Org Description Program BOC Pre-Encumbrance Encumbrance Expenses

As you can see, only Ledger Group, Period, Description, Program, and BOC are similar but I need to merge the data using the headings from File 1 in the merged file.

Is is possible to get the desired result using VBA Code?

Thank you for any help received.

Hi

What do you want to do? do you want to put data side by side in File1 or take data from File1 & File2 in merged sheet. When there is common heading which data to consider?

If possible share sample data.
    A mighty flame followeth a tiny sparkle!!

Hi,

I would like to append the data from File 2 onto the data from File 1. I've attached a sample final output image below. File 1 is the ACTUALS data and File 2 is the DETAILS data.

SampleData Image.JPG

hi can you attach an excel file with all sample sheet

See attached sample data.

Thank you for reviewing.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thumbs up

Hi,

Check attachment, go to last sheet, and run a macro. (Enable macro in workbook, Press Alt + F8 to call macro, Select macro1 & press run)

Caution, Macro will first delete existing data from sheet and then copy paste data from sheet 1 & sheet 2, also make sure heading in both sheet are matching with heading in last sheet, if they are not same no data will be copied.

Cheers!!

mark this thread as completed if your query is resolved..

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response but I could not get the macro to work as intended. In your attachment on Sheet 3 it seems that the data from File 1 did copy over but not all of the data from File 2.

You stated the following: "make sure heading in both sheet are matching with heading in last sheet, if they are not same no data will be copied." Does this mean that I should pre-populate the third sheet with the desired headings before running the macro? Also, the headings in File 1 and File 2 don't match when the data is originally retrieved for their respective databases. Does that mean I also have to, for example, change the headings in File 2 to match the desired output headings, which will be the same as File 1 by default?

Thank you.

Yes heading should match in 3 sheets.

Thank you very much! I got the macro to work.

Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by RandiJ View Post
    Thank you very much! I got the macro to work.

Much appreciated.
    Cheers!!