Consulting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VBA to Add 3 Aligned Footers with Custom Formatting and Text

VBA to Add 3 Aligned Footers with Custom Formatting and Text

Hey all,

I'm completely new to VBA, and have been assigned an unusually difficult (at least to me) task.

I have an excel file that already has a Macro written to create a formatted word document (this was given to me). I need to create a complex footer for this created word document. The footer must show the File Path (left justified), as well as "Page 1 of X" (right justified) and some text such as "***TEXT HERE*** that will be center justified, one line above the other two footers (so the file path can be long, and not run into this text).

This is pretty far over my head, the only VBA/Macro's I've done before have been simple. I don't the code for creating the doc, just to add and edit this footer.

This is all I could figure out, and (obviously) it does essentially none of what I need it to do...

[VBA]

With ActiveDocument.Sections(1)
    .Footers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).Range.Text = "File Path"
    .Footers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).PageNumbers.Add _
    PageNumberAlignment:=wdAlignPageNumberRight, _
    End With
    [/VBA]

Thanks in advance!

FooterExample.jpg
    Last edited by NoIdea; 05-27-2016 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Fix BA text

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    Simplest way is to create a Word template containing the Path and Page Numbering footers. For the text footer, use a document field, such as title and pass this to the template, something like the following (extracted from code I use for similar)

wdApp.Visible = True    'Make the application visible to the user (if wanted)
        Set MyDoc = wdApp.Documents.Add(Template:=P2W)
        Application.ScreenUpdating = False
        MyDoc.SaveAs Pth & TextBox4 & ".doc"
        wdApp.Selection.Paste
        Application.CutCopyMode = False
        wdApp.Run "FixLayout"   'This runs a Word Template macro
        With MyDoc
            .BuiltinDocumentProperties(1) = TextBox3
            .BuiltinDocumentProperties(2) = "BILL NO. " & TextBox1 & " - " & UCase(TextBox2)
            .BuiltinDocumentProperties(3) = TextBox1
        End With
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

I understand the context of what you are describing, but I have two questions.

1. When I enter this text into the Macro that is already created (the one in Excel which displays the word doc); nothing happens
    2. I tried creating a word template from the suggested 3 footer template already, but when i went to run the macro, I got an error (It said something about not being able to access the template).

Also, what would I need to change in your example to display what I had referenced? I'm very clearly new to this.

Thanks for your help, I look forward to your response

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Grand Master mdmackillop's Avatar
    Here is a working example, Add files to C:\VBAX or change code to suit your location
    Sub Test()
    'Requires reference to Word Object Library
        Dim wdapp, mydoc
        Dim Pth

Pth = "C:\VBAX\"

'Copy some data
    Range("C4:C17").Copy   

'See if Word is already running
        On Error Resume Next
        Set wdapp = GetObject(, "Word.Application")
        If Err.Number <> 0 Then
            'Launch a new instance of Word
            Err.Clear
            On Error GoTo Error_Handler
            Set wdapp = CreateObject("Word.Application")
        End If
        wdapp.Visible = True    'Make the application visible to the user (if wanted)
    'Create new doc based on template and save    
    Set mydoc = wdapp.Documents.Add(Template:=Pth & "Sample.dotx")
        mydoc.SaveAs Pth & "Sample1.doc"

'Paste data into Word
    wdapp.Selection.Paste

Application.CutCopyMode = False
        With mydoc
            .BuiltinDocumentProperties(1) = Cells(1, 1)
        End With
    Error_Handler:
    End Sub
    Attached Files Attached Files
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Is this supposed to create a word document with that text? When I run the Macro, the Word window will open, but there is no document open/created. Also, I'm curious after just looking at the code (because I couldn't get an output), does this Macro only copy/paste info from those cells into Word, or does it post it into a formatted footer? I don't have any info in the excel file that I need to paste; I just need a footer made as a standalone added text in the word file made by the macro.

Sorry if this is confusing (or if I'm downright incorrect, which is entirely possible), it's very specific and hard to explain. Especially when you haven't learned VBA

Thanks again

Administrator
    The zip folder contains 2 files, Save both of these to a folder called C:\VBAX
    Open the excel file and go to the code page. Make sure you have a reference to Word Object Library and run the code.
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

This is the process I followed, and the Word window will open, but a document will not. I also tried changing the path (code, too) and saving it elsewhere, to no avail

Administrator
    What version of Word are you using? Have you tried stepping through the code?
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

I have Version 14.0.

The good news for both of us, is that it looks like I'm slowly figuring out my stupidity. I entered the code into the Macro I have already, but I am still having some problems. The code I already have will generate a word doc; however after adding your code it will only add 17 blank lines to the beginning of the Doc. There is unfortunately no footer added.

With that being said, I did open the Sample word doc you provided, and i saw it worked there. (however, I think the left footer was file name instead of file path. This may be because the Doc wasn't saved.)

I'm not sure how to tweak the code to get the footer to work in the doc I have; any help is appreciated!

Administrator
    The path and page number are part of the Word template: you do not need to provide this information. The centre footer is a field which is based upon the Word document title. The Macro passes this information only in this line.
    .BuiltinDocumentProperties(1) = Cells(1, 1)
    This could probably be written to the footer, but I was just using some old code which works for me.

Save your word document as a template with the footer as you want it including the title field.
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Ah I see, it's starting to make more sense.

Is there any way to get the center footer to just be some entered text? As I believe I just need it to display something along the lines of "Confidential"

Also, any idea why the footer isn't showing up at all in the document I'm using? That's the main issue I'm trying to address at the moment.

Administrator
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Administrator
    'Requires reference to Word Object Library
        Dim wdapp, mydoc
        Dim Pth

Pth = "C:\VBAX\"

'See if Word is already running
        On Error Resume Next
        Set wdapp = GetObject(, "Word.Application")

If Err.Number <> 0 Then
            'Launch a new instance of Word
            Err.Clear
            Set wdapp = CreateObject("Word.Application")
        End If

wdapp.Visible = True    'Make the application visible to the user (if wanted)
        Set mydoc = wdapp.Documents.Open(Pth & "temp.docx")
        With mydoc
             .Sections(1).Footers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).Range.InsertBefore "Confidential"
        End With
    End Sub
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

I inserted this code into the current Excel Macro, and again, nothing happened. There is no footer in the created Word doc and the document looks unchanged with this added code. Is there anything special that has to be done to get the footer to work? I'm working with an excel file in my downloads, so I changed the path to that. However, I can't think of anything else I would be doing incorrectly.

Do I have to have a word doc already created / saved to a file for a footer to be added? Because the excel file creates a word doc that does not yet exist, and it's unsaved. Not sure if this is relevant, but I remember I could only get your sample to work with the attached word Doc you already had.

Thanks again

Administrator
    I believe I've addressed all these points previously. Have you added the footer fields to your Word Document? see Post #12
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean when you say "have you added the footer fields to your Word Document"; is that not the purpose of the Macro - to add the footer to the Document?

And I would have uploaded the word Document long ago, but unfortunately the Document is confidential (hence the tag in the footer). Also, the document is essentially blank besides the text my current Macro is adding. If you can inform me what you would be looking for if I were able to pass it on to you, I would be more than willing to inform you.

Administrator
    Why would you add information from Excel which is a property of the Word Document. With regard to your document contents you can delete all the text. Post it blank with the document name and path.
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

The whole Word document is the result of adding information from Excel; the Macro in Excel creates the whole word document and formats it accordingly, so why wouldn't you add information from excel that's a property of the Word Doc? It seems that's the same way you suggested to do it from the beginning. (A genuine question, my intention isn't to sound snarky. I could be misinterpreting your comment)

The word document is created with the default name of "Document1" (as it hasn't been saved anywhere). When saved, the name suggested is the 1st line of the document "Correspondence".

The path I'm working with is C:\Users\XXX\Downloads

Document1.docx

Administrator
    Excel does not know the number of pages in the word document, so how do you provide it? You use a word document or template with an appropriate footer field. You can add the path field also in the appropriate location. You then use this code
    With mydoc
             .Sections(1).Footers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).Range.InsertBefore "Confidential" 
        End With
    to add the custom text into the preformatted footer.
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

I see your point, I was unaware this was a functionality limitation between the two programs. With that being said, it's also not possible for me to use a pre-formatted word doc, as the macro creates a completely new document every time I run a report (unless there is a way to attach a template including a formatted footer to the Macro). But, again, I may be misunderstanding; I just haven't had any luck with this so far.