Consulting

Thread: Run code if hyperlink clicked falls in target range

VBAX Tutor
    Run code if hyperlink clicked falls in target range

Run code if hyperlink clicked falls in target range:
    I have hyperlinks in different columns on the workbook sheets. If I click on a hyperlink in column B of any sheet I want the target screen to scroll so that the destination cell is in the upper left corner of the screen. If I click on any other hyperlink, I don't want any scrolling taking place.

I am thus looking for something that would work like Intersect. I.e. if the cell containing the hyperlink is in any column B, scroll the destination screen, if not don't.

Current code is working fine for hyperlinks in any column B, but unfortunately also kicks in for hyperlinks in other locations:
    Option Explicit
    Private Sub Workbook_SheetFollowHyperlink(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Hyperlink)

ActiveWindow.ScrollRow = WorksheetFunction.Max(Selection.Row - 4, 1)

End Sub
    Regards,
    vanhunk

Option Explicit

Public DoScroll As Boolean 'Set in sheet ??? 'Edit comment to suit

Private Sub Workbook_SheetFollowHyperlink(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Hyperlink)

If DoScroll Then ActiveWindow.ScrollRow = WorksheetFunction.Max(Selection.Row - 4, 1)
      DoScroll = False
    End Sub
    And put this in the sheet module with the hyperlinks
    Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
    'DoScroll declared in ThisWorkbook

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("B2:B" & Cells(Rows.Count,"B").End(xlUp).Row)) Is Nothing Then 
    'Adjust top Row (2) of Range as appropriate.

DoScroll = True
    Else: DoScroll =False
    End If

End Sub
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

VBAX Tutor

PROBLEM: It does however not work as intended.
    I have many sheets with the same structure.
    In the "B" columns I have hyperlinks that take you to another sheet in the same workbook. (Click on hyperlink once).
    In other columns I have hyperlinks that open Websites.

When clicking on hyperlinks in "B" columns the destination sheet must be scrolled so that the destination cell is in the top left corner of the destination sheet.
    When clicking on hyperlinks in any other column, no scrolling must take place.

I have tried the following code in ThisWorkbook module but get an error message of "Run-time error '13': Type mismatch"

If Not Intersect(Target, Columns("B:B")) Is Nothing Then

MsgBox "You clicked Hyperlink in Column B", vbExclamation

ActiveWindow.ScrollRow = WorksheetFunction.Max(Selection.Row - 4, 1)

End If
    End Sub
    Regards,
    vanhunk

No, I have to apologise. All my reference files are on a broken computer and I have to extrapolate from the rest of VBA to Hyperlinks.

Try this. It works in Excel 2002
    Option Explicit

Dim DoScroll As Boolean

Private Sub Workbook_SheetActivate(ByVal Sh As Object)

If DoScroll Then ActiveWindow.ScrollRow = WorksheetFunction.Max(Selection.Row - 4, 1)
    DoScroll = False
    End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)

If Target.Hyperlinks.Count Then
      If Intersect(Sh.Range("B:B"), Target) Is Nothing Then
        DoScroll = False
      Else: DoScroll = True
      End If
    End If

End Sub
    The FollowHyperLink event sub refers to the cell containing hyperlink, not the link_target, but occurs after the link is followed
    Last edited by SamT; 07-27-2016 at 09:13 AM.

VBAX Tutor
    It is almost working as expected.
    It is doing something unexpected which I couldn't figure out why.
    I have an Index with links to information on the sheets.
    When I click on these links they take me to where I want to be and also do the scrolling bit as I wanted.
    However, when I click on hyperlinks (they open up web pages) in other columns the screen also scroll up. I don't want that to happen.
    I.e. when a hyperlink is clicked in any column other than "B", no scrolling should take place - which is not the case at the moment?!?

Regards,
    vanhunk

However, when I click on hyperlinks (they open up web pages) in other columns the screen also scroll up. I don't want that to happen.
    I.e. when a hyperlink is clicked in any column other than "B", no scrolling should take place - which is not the case at the moment?!?
    I knew that excel sheets would scroll at least till the Linked to cell was visible, but that is a more difficult issue to deal with. I don't know why web pages are scrolling.

Is it acceptable that the link_targets are always scrolled to the top of the page?

Please show us one of the hyperlinks to a web page that is not supposed to scroll.

I don't know when I can get to this, so if anybody wants to contribute, feel free.

VBAX Tutor
    Thank you SamT, I have uploaded an example file. Yes the scrolling does matter. If I click on one of the links (not in "B") lower down, I don't want scrolling to happen.

Regards,
    vanhunk
    Attached Files Attached Files

Any scrolling that happens in a web browser is the result of the browser.

FYI, none of the links caused any scrolling in FireFox on my computer.

VBAX Tutor
    Quote Originally Posted by SamT View Post
    Any scrolling that happens in a web browser is the result of the browser.

FYI, none of the links caused any scrolling in FireFox on my computer.
    Hi SamT,
    Thank you very much. The scrolling happens before the browser even opens. I have attached another file with explanations of what exactly happens.

Kind Regards,
    vanhunk
    Attached Files Attached Files