Consulting

Thread: Solved: Can't Create an Excel Default Workbook Template

Solved: Can't Create an Excel Default Workbook Template

For some reason I have so far been unable to create a default Excel workbook template. I know that the extension must be ".xlt", and that a default workbook template should be stored in "... \XLStart".
    Help didn't mention what it should be named, but J. Walkenbach said to name a default workbook template "Book.xlt" and a default sheet template "Sheet.xlt". I did all that, but when I request a new workbook, I get the standard one that Excel always creates. I couldn't find an ".xlt" file that seemed to be the Excel default. What am I missing?

Hi,
    My custom default workbook works fine as Book.xlt in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdude
    For some reason I have so far been unable to create a default Excel workbook template. I know that the extension must be ".xlt", and that a default workbook template should be stored in "... \XLStart".
    Help didn't mention what it should be named, but J. Walkenbach said to name a default workbook template "Book.xlt" and a default sheet template "Sheet.xlt". I did all that, but when I request a new workbook, I get the standard one that Excel always creates. I couldn't find an ".xlt" file that seemed to be the Excel default. What am I missing?
    Dave
    "The game is afoot Watson"

Hi, Piranha! That's probably my problem. I didn't show the path, but I'm using:
    C:\Program FIles\Microsoft Office\Office11\XLStart
    That's the path that was recommended for a default template. The path you used is for what they called a "custom" template. I assumed that the custom template would not be used unless specifically summoned. I'll give your path a try. Thanx.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Do ?application.StartupPath in the immediate window to get the path.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Hi,
    Yeah, the path i posted causes the workbook to open with Excel, on my system. After i made my changes i wanted, on the workbook, i saved it as Book.xlt, at that path. Works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdude
    Hi, Piranha! That's probably my problem. I didn't show the path, but I'm using:
    C:\Program FIles\Microsoft Office\Office11\XLStart
    That's the path that was recommended for a default template. The path you used is for what they called a "custom" template. I assumed that the custom template would not be used unless specifically summoned. I'll give your path a try. Thanx.
    Dave
    "The game is afoot Watson"