Consulting

Thread: VBE Line continuation for Range definition

VBE Line continuation for Range definition

Hello,

I'm trying to develop a diagnostic piece of code. In so doing I can't get the VB Editor to accept my multi-line Range definition. I've tried this at least 8 different ways to no avail. Here we go:

Set rng1 = ws1.Range("A3:E3, A6:E6, A9:E9, A12:E12, _
    A18:E18, A19:E19, A21:E21, A22:E22, A24:E24, _
    A26:E26, A28:E28, A30:E30, A32:E32, A37:E37")

I continuously get compile messages. This particular one says: "Syntax error." I'm sure someone who uses VBE a little more often than I knows how to do this. I'm out of guesses and having a bad Google day.

Thanks

Set rng1 = ws1.Range("A3:E3, A6:E6, A9:E9, A12:E12," & _
        "A18:E18, A19:E19, A21:E21, A22:E22, A24:E24," & _
        "A26:E26, A28:E28, A30:E30, A32:E32, A37:E37")

Thank you sir. I wouldn't have guessed this in a million years.

To be honest, I can't see why this works. Normally a Range definition works like this:

Set rng1 = ws1.Range("A8")

But if you put that in a loop, it goes like this:

For i = 1 to 5
    Set rng1 = ws1.Range("A" & i)
    ... (other code)
    Next i

The i is clearly uncovered by the quotes and a syntax driven scanner has to be able to differentiate between "A"1 and "A1" (where i is 1 in the formula above). It just doesn't seem logical to my admittedly weak brain.

Thanks

The 'i' in your case is coerced into a string. Only strings can be concatenated. That is why the code that I wrote works. Strings can not span lines.

Thanks again for your explanation. It does make sense although the scanners I worked on in the past did not work that way. My first attempt was like this:

set rng1 = ws1.Range("A3:E3", "A4:E4")

which is not valid either. I guess VBA is strictly using the quotes to decide whether the term is a variable or literal since "A8" is a legal variable name as well.

I really appreciate your reply. Getting this straight laid the foundation for verifying my test case which in turn enlightened me on my "big" problem.

That is valid syntax. When using inputs like that, it is a continuous range. Your first example was a discontinuous range.

I am not sure what you mean by scanners. I guess you mean compilers. All languages that I have worked with work that way for the most part. Some vary by the line continue character.