Consulting

Thread: VBA Code/Macro Help

VBAX Newbie
    VBA Code/Macro Help

Hi everyone. First time poster. Hoping someone can help me if possible please.

Given the below procedure:

Code:
    Sub Update_Strategy_Dropdown_List()
    Application.Calculation = xlManual
    Dim r As Range
    Dim List As Range
    Set List = Sheets("Strategy Library").Range("StrategyList")
    Dim n As Integer
    n = 0
    For Each r In List
    If Not IsEmpty(r) Then Sheets("Lists").Range("A1").Offset(n, 0) = r.Value
    If Not IsEmpty(r) Then n = n + 1
    End Sub
    This macro is not working. What is this macro intended to do and how would I fix it?

Many thanks in advance
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 11-22-2016 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Added code tags

VBAX Sage
    Well, based on the macro's name, I'd guess it updates a data validation dropdown list of acceptable strategy values. What would you like it to do?

"Not working" is a tad ambiguous.

Possibly it is working and you didn't realize that the strategies in column A of worksheet Lists used for the Strategy cell were being updated for Data Validation purposes
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

VBAX Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Hossler View Post
    Well, based on the macro's name, I'd guess it updates a data validation dropdown list of acceptable strategy values. What would you like it to do?

"Not working" is a tad ambiguous.

Possibly it is working and you didn't realize that the strategies in column A of worksheet Lists used for the Strategy cell were being updated for Data Validation purposes
    I only have the problem written down on paper Paul so I don't have a great deal to go on. A couple of questions I have are:

• Should the code not specify what range to store in the variable 'r' as it does with the variable 'List'
    • Where the code says 'For Each r in List', what does the 'r' refer to?

I'm just getting started with VBA so apologies for all the questions.

VBAX Sage
    'r' is a loop variable (I forget the proper name)

'List' a Range, and is Set to the cells in what I assume is a Named Range called StrategyList. You can use Control-F3 to see the named ranges

Capture.JPG

So if the named range contains 15 cells (like in example), the For Each loop will run 15 times, and each time make r Each of those cells for the contents of the loop

The For Each will Set 'r' = A1 do the If's, then 'r' = A2 and do the If's, then A3, ...., A15 from Sheet1 in my example

Sub Update_Strategy_Dropdown_List()

Dim r As Range
     Dim List As Range

Set List = Sheets("Strategy Library").Range("StrategyList")

Dim n As Integer

n = 0

For Each r In List.Cells      '-------------------------------- modified a little
    Next                  ' ------------------------------------------ added

End Sub
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

[CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done

VBAX Newbie

I was led to believe that whenever you declare a range variable, you have to specify what range to store in the variable which led me to think that may be why there is a problem with the macro. Are we saying it's not necessary to do this if you are using 'Dim r As Range'? I've just tried to create a spreadsheet to test the above code and it doesn't seem to make any difference when I delete 'Dim r As Range' from the code. Is that even necessary in order for the loop to run through?

I also get a 'Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error' on the line of code in bold below despite having a 'StrategyList' named range set up within Excel. If I delete 'StrategyList' and specify a range of cells e.g. A1:A7, then the macro seems to run through.

Sub UpdateDropdownList()
    Dim List As Range
        Set List = Worksheets("Strategy Library").Range("StrategyList")
        Dim n As Integer
    n = 0
    For Each r In List.Cells
    Next
    End Sub
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 11-23-2016 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Added code tags

VBAX Sage
    1. Use the [#] icon on the message area toolbar to add [ CODE ] tags and paste the macro inside to format it pretty and to set it off

2. Option Explicit at the top of a module forces all variables to be explicitly Dim-ed (e.g. the 'r'). I always do it to avoid typing mistakes, plus some other reasons

3. You need a sheet named "Strategy Library" and "Lists" as well as the named range "StrategyList"

The attachment seems to run OK for me

Option Explicit

Sub UpdateDropdownList()
        Dim List As Range, r As Range
        Dim n As Integer
        Set List = Worksheets("Strategy Library").Range("StrategyList")
        n = 0

For Each r In List.Cells
            MsgBox r.Value
        Next
    End Sub
    Attached Files Attached Files

Paul

2. Upload an example