Consulting

Thread: Select Text Within Email Message Body

VBAX Newbie
    Select Text Within Email Message Body

Hello, I've done lots of searching online on this and haven't found a single similar post.

I have an Outlook macro that adds tomorrow's date for me at the push of a button. I want to modify the macro to check if a date was previously inserted, and if so adjust that date forward 1 day. I can write the logic that will check the date, but I'm at a complete blank of how to highlight (select) the text adjacent to my cursor (I don't want to have to highlight it manually). My current macro is below. All I want is the line(s) of code that essentially does the same as a Ctrl + Shift + Left Arrow Key (repeated 5 times). I can handle the rest of the logic from there.

Sub TimeStamp_PlusOne()
        If TypeName(ActiveWindow) = "Inspector" Then
            If ActiveInspector.IsWordMail And ActiveInspector.EditorType = olEditorWord Then
                'want code to select text left of current cursor position
                if SelectedText = tomorrow's date, then
                    'code to replace text with day after tomorrow's date (I can write this part)
                else
                    ActiveInspector.WordEditor.Application.Selection.TypeText Format(Date + 1, "mmm d (ddd)")
                End If
            End If
        End If
    End Sub

The following will check a date in a message body that the cursor is either in, or immediately to the left or right of (without a space), and will change the date if necessary to tomorrows date (here using the short date format - change the format as required).

Sub CheckDate()'Graham Mayor - http://www.gmayor.com - Last updated - 26/11/2016
    Dim oRng As Object
        On Error GoTo ErrHandler
        If TypeName(ActiveWindow) = "Inspector" Then
            If ActiveInspector.IsWordMail And ActiveInspector.EditorType = olEditorWord Then
                Set oRng = ActiveInspector.WordEditor.Application.Selection.Range
                oRng.movestartuntil Chr(32), -1073741823
                oRng.moveenduntil Chr(32) & Chr(13) & Chr(11) & "!:;?,."
                MsgBox oRng.Text
                If IsDate(oRng.Text) Then
                    If Not CDate(Date) = Date + 1 Then
                        oRng.Text = Format(Date + 1, "Short Date")
                    End If
                End If
                MsgBox oRng.Text
            End If
        End If
    lbl_Exit:
        Exit Sub
    ErrHandler:
        Beep
        Resume lbl_Exit
    End Sub
    Graham Mayor - MS MVP (Word) 2002-2019