Consulting

Thread: Syntax for Evaluate SumProduct in VBA

Lightbulb Syntax for Evaluate SumProduct in VBA

Hello,
    I Can't find the right syntax to type a sumproduct formula in VBA.
    After searching I've come tot he fact that I can't use the SumProduct function without evaluating it but the code line is filled with """ that I can't make any sense of.
    What I am trying to achieve is replace the CountIF line in this code with a Sumproduct function:
    Dim MyColumn As Long, r As Long, lngLastRow As Long
        MyColumn = ActiveCell.Column
        With Sheets("Project Breakdown")
        lngLastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, MyColumn).End(xlUp).Row
            For r = lngLastRow To 1 Step -1
                If InStr(1, Cells(r, MyColumn - 2), "DIV", vbTextCompare) = 0 And InStr(1, Cells(r, MyColumn - 2), "SEC", vbTextCompare) = 0 Then
                     If WorksheetFunction.CountIf(.Columns(MyColumn), .Cells(r, MyColumn).Value) > 1 Then
                    .Cells(r, MyColumn).Select
                    ActiveCell.Rows("1:1").EntireRow.Select
                    Selection.Delete Shift:=xlUp
                     End If
                End If
            Next r
        End With
    Could someone please help!

VBAX Regular

VBAX Sage

http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/show...PRODUCT-in-VBA

1. Basically you have to build the WS SUMPRODUCT in a VBA string. Since you have to put quotes (") around text in the WS formula, you need to have 2 quotes in the VBA string to get one literal " in the string

VBA examples

S1 = "Now is the time"

Msgbox S1 produces Now is the time

S2 = "Now ""is"" the time"

Msgbox S2 produces Now "is" the time

2. Since .Evaluate takes a string, the appropriate ranges need to use .Address

If you manually generate a SUMPRODUCT() WS formula that works, it'd be easier to convert
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StarHunter View Post
    What I am trying to achieve is replace the CountIF line in this code with a Sumproduct function:
    Why, what is wrong with COUNTIF?

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Hossler View Post
    If you manually generate a SUMPRODUCT() WS formula that works, it'd be easier to convert
    Thanks Paul.
    I have already generated a manual SumProduct Formual. My data which I desire to count then remove their duplicates is always in Column "C". The formula as typed in the worksheet is =SUMPRODUCT((C:C=C4)+0). The Cell "C4" represents the active cell which keeps changing with the For Next loop.
    I've tried to follow your instructions with no luck. That's what I came out with:
                If InStr(1, Cells(r, MyColumn - 2), "DIV", vbTextCompare) = 0 And InStr(1, Cells(r, MyColumn - 2), "SEC", vbTextCompare) = 0 Then
                    If WorksheetFunction.Evaluate("=sumproduct((columns(MyColumn)" = "activecell.address)" + " 0 ") > 1 Then
                     End If
                End If
            Next r
        End With
    The code generates an error says "Object doesn't support this property or method. The error is in the line of the evaluate formula.
    What am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by xld View Post
    Why, what is wrong with COUNTIF?
    If you can bear with me I'll tell you my whole story.
    I need to remove duplicates in Column "C" with conditions based on Column "A". Excel built in remove duplicates has no conditions and that's why I've turned to VBA.
    The above code, with CountIf, works like a charm and did what I asked for but the problem appeared when the data in a cell in Column "C" has text that exceeds 255 character in length. The code generates an error then that it can't perform the CountIf.
    So I turned to SumProduct to count with conditions and avoid the long text as well but I am completely lost about how to type the right text and get it to work.
    Thank you

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    I would have thought that any problems you have with COUNTIF with > 255 characters you will also have with SUMPRODUCT.

Notwithstanding, I have tried to 'improve' the obvious problems in your code. I haven't tried to understand what and why you are doing it that way, or even tested it, but hopefully this will get you further than you are.#

If InStr(1, .Cells(r, MyColumn - 2), "DIV", vbTextCompare) = 0 And InStr(1, .Cells(r, MyColumn - 2), "SEC", vbTextCompare) = 0 Then
                    If .Evaluate("=Sumproduct(--('" & .Name & "'!" & Columns(MyColumn).Address & " = " & ActiveCell.Address & "))") > 1 Then
                    End If
                End If
            Next r
        End With

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber