Consulting

Thread: Word Doc Protect From Excel

Word Doc Protect From Excel

Hello Everybody hopefully someone can give me a idea of what I am doing wrong. I open a word document from Excel and now I want to protect it, so nothing can be changed. I have a couple different things to get it to work. I tried

[VBA]

WordDocumentName.Protect

[/VBA]

But for some reason it won?t work I get a debugging error. So I tried to write a Macro in the Word Document so I can run that would protect it. I got the macro to work in the Word Document. So I been trying to call the Word Marco from the Excel Marco to get it to work. I been using

[VBA]

Application.Run ?WordDocumentName.ModuleName.MacroName?

[/VBA]

But for some reason neither way is not working.

I was wondering if it something to do with Excel interface with Word. So if anybody got an idea I be gratefully. Thanks

I'm not clear exactly what you've done but this should work from Excel - perhaps you can see the difference and work it into your code[vba]Set appWord = CreateObject("Word.Application")
    Set docWord = appWord.documents.Add
    docWord.Protect 2[/vba]

The "2" means "wdAllowOnlyFormFields". Protect takes a mandatory argument and I have used the number so that you don't need the reference to Word - if you are using early binding anyway you can use the wdAllowOnlyFormFields constant.
    Enjoy,
    Tony

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.
    Teach him how to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

I'm (slowly) building my own site: www.WordArticles.com

Word Doc Protect From Excel

Tony,

Thanks very very much the code you posted work perfect. Thanks again. I just need to learn more about excel and word cross over. Thanks once again, you save me from throwing my laptop against the wall.

Joseph

All you really need to remember (once you have a reference to the Word Application) is

(a) EVERYTHING in Word must be fully qualified - there are no implicit object references.
    (b) Set all object variables to Nothing after you have finished with them (true anyway - but especially true for ones which might be holding on to an automation client)
    Enjoy,
    Tony

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.
    Teach him how to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

I'm (slowly) building my own site: www.WordArticles.com