Consulting

Thread: Linking and Evelopes in Outlook

VBAX Newbie
    Question Linking and Evelopes in Outlook

Hey all

Look for someone to help me link a file to a contact in a public contacts folder in outlook....

I tried to attach but then if you edit from Outlook the changes cannot be observed from Word.....

I tried to link but then it throws it in a journal entry.....

Also
    Has anyone seen a macro that will run mail merge from outlook automatically placing the selected names onto envelopes?

Trish

i have no idea about your first problem (sorry)...

as far as a macro for a mail merge - i dont think you need one... if you open Word and run the mail merge from there you can choose to make envelopes and can also choose your outlook address book as your data source... i can take you through it with more detail if you want, but i will wait to hear back from you incase you have tried that already and it is not giving you the result you are wanting...

hth...

Life is like a jar of jalepenos... What you do with it today might burn your butt tomorrow....

VBAX Newbie
    Well here's the deal I am trying to make the process quicker and save space on our server. I tried the Word way and If the staff goes to do the envelopes thru mail merge in Word they have to do like 8 steps. If they do it through Outlook I think there are 6.
    BUT the current way they do it is each file has a mail file and they can just highlight the envelopes that they want and print (but the problem is that there are hundreds and hundreds of files and each one has this file...plus everytime they change attorneys or addresses ... they have to change it in multiple locations)....
    the public contacts will narrow it to one site.... for every file that person is linked to....so any changes can be made in one place....

i figured there was more to it, but i always tend to sugges things that either have already been tried, or are not an option because of one reason or another... (which is why i am the resident newbie -> )

sorry i couldnt help... i hope someone else is able to... <smile>

Life is like a jar of jalepenos... What you do with it today might burn your butt tomorrow....

So basically, you want to store a file on a server that contains a link to an Outlook contact? And when the Outlook contact is modified, you want to automatically update the file?

Thanks,
    James
    "All that's necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

VBAX Newbie

Pretty much, I have it set up that there is a contact in the contacts section. I want to place in the notes section a link to a word file that is stored on the network. But I want it to automatically update that document whenever anyone edits it, whether done from Outlook or Word....

Does that make any sense?

Trish