Consulting

Thread: Message Bar notification for Compatibility mode documents

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Question Message Bar notification for Compatibility mode documents

Hi,

I'm just deploying Office 2016 and I would like do so that if user opens Office 2010 originated docx or doc then Word would show "compatibility mode warning" in message bar, not only next to document title. I know how to detect that and convert that but I don't think it is good idea to do that automatically with AutoOpen:

If (ActiveDocument.CompatibilityMode = 11) Then ActiveDocument.Convert
    And I know how to display a message in the status bar but people will not pay attention to that (as well as remark next to title bar):

Sub StatusBar()

Application.StatusBar = "This is document is in compatibility mode, consider converting it"

End Sub
    Is there any option to send custom security information to actual Message bar with Red / Yellow / Green background to get more user attention?

A document saved in Word 2010 will show Compatibility Mode in the Window title if opened in Word 2016. There is no reason whatsoever to convert the document.
    Graham Mayor - MS MVP (Word) 2002-2019
    Visit my web site for more programming tips and ready made processes
    http://www.gmayor.com

Quote Originally Posted by gmayor View Post
    A document saved in Word 2010 will show Compatibility Mode in the Window title if opened in Word 2016. There is no reason whatsoever to convert the document.
    Yes there is if you plan to do co-authoring for instance.

Microsoft Word MVP 2003-2009 VBAX Guru gmaxey's Avatar
    Is there any option to send custom security information to actual Message bar with Red / Yellow / Green background to get more user attention?

No.

You could use the AutoOpen macro to display a msgbox (or VBA UserForm and make it as loud and noticeable as you wish). You could also play Beep or other system sound. You could request a confirmation on close or save etc.
    Greg

Visit my website: http://gregmaxey.com