Consulting

Thread: Printing function + envelope size

Printing function + envelope size

Dear folks,

I want to print an envelope and the height, width is adjustable. It means that depend user key in height and width. how to do it?Please share your idea here or references. Thank you.

I want to let user key in the height and width they want. So, the envelope size will change everytime. Please gv me a help.

Moderator VBAX Master geekgirlau's Avatar

You might be able to use something like the following:

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1037657

I would suggest that generally speaking, users will want to print from a small selection of envelopes, so I would have these standard sizes listed in a drop-down box, and then perhaps two text boxes to enter height and width to cater for other sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by geekgirlau
    Welcome to the board wai221!

You might be able to use something like the following:

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1037657

I would suggest that generally speaking, users will want to print from a small selection of envelopes, so I would have these standard sizes listed in a drop-down box, and then perhaps two text boxes to enter height and width to cater for other sizes.

First of all, i would like to thank you geekgirlau for replied my message.
    I not quite understand your mean like standard sizes listed in a drop down box. Is it we fix some size for the envelope.
    Second, I already do some coding for key in height and width in the textbox.
    When i click submit button. It will show the form size based on the new higth and width figure.
    How to do for this part coding? Is it can do like this? I newbie in vb.net. So, i really need somebody help me.
    Appreciate your kindness.Thank you.

Envelopes come in standard sizes - have a look at any box of envelopes, and the dimensions are written on the pack. Each size is usually given a name (such as DL, which is 110mm by 220mm). There is also a list of some fairly standard sizes available in Microsoft Word (Tools | Letters and Mailings | Envelopes) so you might use this as a starting point.

If this is in Access, you probably need a report where you set the height and width of the detail according to the envelope size selected. However from your comment it looks like you're using VB.net - is this correct?

I just ran a test. I created a report that was the size of a #10 reg envelope. I then went to page setup, went to page, check " use specific printer", clicked on printer, clicked on properties, clicked on advanced, went to paper size and selected the paper that was labeled for a #10 envelope. Printed to the laser printer, in this case I used our HP laserjet 6MP and used the manual tray with a #10 envelope and it worked like a charm. The default for that particular form will stay as that printer and that size paper. The trick, I think, is to make sure you are printing to a printer that supports the size paper or envelope you want to print.

Gary

You can either have a separate report for each envelope size you want to accept, or set the height and width of the report dynamically via code. In either case, I think you need to decide which sizes you want to accept - a hunt in your stationery cupboard would be a good starting point.