Consulting

Thread: Decorate my sheet as an interface

Decorate my sheet as an interface

Hello everyone,

My problem doesn't necessarily require coding. I have a worksheet on which there are a couple of buttons and cells with dates in them. I will modify the dates and press the buttons to execute operations done in other sheets. So this sheet is basically an interface. I want to make it prettier so that my superiors will feel more comfortable. But I have no idea what I can improve. Is there anything you guys suggest? Or just throw me some pretty exemples or links, it would help a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Francis

Attached Files Attached Files
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

VBAX Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by FrancisZheng View Post
    Hello everyone,

My problem doesn't necessarily require coding. I have a worksheet on which there are a couple of buttons and cells with dates in them. I will modify the dates and press the buttons to execute operations done in other sheets. So this sheet is basically an interface. I want to make it prettier so that my superiors will feel more comfortable. But I have no idea what I can improve. Is there anything you guys suggest? Or just throw me some pretty exemples or links, it would help a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Francis
    Kittens? Puppies? Dilbert? PHB?

A picture or small sample will help people keep ideas in the ballpark

If you're talking about some sort of dashboard, "Excel 2007 Dashboards & Reports For Dummies Mar 2008", has 10 rules at the end. Lot of other information, but this is their Top 10 List

Avoiding fancy formatting
    Skipping unnecessary chart junk
    Formatting large numbers
    Using data tables instead of data labels
    Using chart titles effectively
    Sorting data before charting
    Limiting the use of pie charts
    Parsing data into separate charts
    Maintaining correct aspect ratios
    Knowing when not to use charts
    Back in the old days when I had to work for a living, my interface design rule of thumb was to "Make it so easy, a VP could use it"

Ask yourself: "Why is the user sitting down at the keyboard?" and make it easy to answer those kind of questions

So make sure not to over complicate it

This is an interesting read

https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/...ing-a-product/

Edit - I forgot -- if you can use pivot tables and pivot charts, using slicers can work really well and make the spreadsheet look nice, easy to operate, and confidence enhancing
    Last edited by Paul_Hossler; 02-13-2017 at 03:06 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Quote Originally Posted by SamT View Post
    one idea
    Thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Hossler View Post
    Kittens? Puppies? Dilbert? PHB?

A picture or small sample will help people keep ideas in the ballpark

If you're talking about some sort of dashboard, "Excel 2007 Dashboards & Reports For Dummies Mar 2008", has 10 rules at the end. Lot of other information, but this is their Top 10 List

Back in the old days when I had to work for a living, my interface design rule of thumb was to "Make it so easy, a VP could use it"

Ask yourself: "Why is the user sitting down at the keyboard?" and make it easy to answer those kind of questions

So make sure not to over complicate it

This is an interesting read

https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/...ing-a-product/

Edit - I forgot -- if you can use pivot tables and pivot charts, using slicers can work really well and make the spreadsheet look nice, easy to operate, and confidence enhancing
    Thank you. That's some good advice.

- interesting excel sheet design

- Pretty excel sheets

- Excel sheet designs

- Unusual Excel Sheet designs

- Creative Excel Sheet designs

- Professional Excel Sheet designs

VBAX Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by FrancisZheng View Post
    Thank you. That's some good advice.
    Post a screen shot or a small WB sample and it'll be easier to come up with more suggestions
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Thank you for your advice! I will search on the internet a little more then post what I've done.