Consulting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Potential VBA job in Sydney - is proposed wage ok?

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Expert brettdj's Avatar
    Potential VBA job in Sydney - is proposed wage ok?

I had a phone message today asking if I knew anyone who would be interested in 3 months work (maybe up to 12 months) working in VBA with an investment bank in Sydney. Pay is A$500 (around US$380) a day

Can any of you who contract let me know if this is a decent rate? I'd like to get a feel before I suggest some names. Any highly recommended Sydney based VBA consultants would be appreciated too.

Cheers

Dave

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    I had a phone message today asking if I knew anyone who would be interested in 3 months work (maybe up to 12 months) working in VBA with an investment bank in Sydney. Pay is A$500 (around US$380) a day

Can any of you who contract let me know if this is a decent rate? I'd like to get a feel before I suggest some names. Any highly recommended Sydney based VBA consultants would be appreciated too.
    Actually, ?220 per day is a very poor rate for people who have to support themselves, no holiday pay, pension. I did a job for a charity at circa ?300 per day, but only at that rate because it was a charity.

But for 12 months, and a better rate, will they pay travel expenses?

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Althoug I'm not a candidate I agree with Bob - Short terms hiring should per se be paid much better (especially after I converted it to my local currency!).

Kind regards,
    Dennis
    Kind regards,
    Dennis

ExcelKB | .NET & Excel | 2nd edition PED

I'll throw in the 3rd vote... I'd agree with both Bob & Dennis. Most consultants in my neck of the woods (although I'm not thinking VBA necessarily), charge anywhere from 2 - 3 times that rate, depending on how good they are at what they do.
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Thats interesting guys, I thought it sounded pretty decent when converted into permanent terms of around A$130K pa - the average wage over here is around $50K p a, I don't know what the deal is with holiday pay and superannuation (pension) etc. Australia is a pretty cheap place to live, with the possible exception of Sydney that is, LOL. But I didn't know if that was a good rate for 3 months so thanks for the feedback

Bob, I wouldn't be too expectant on the travel expenses

From a recent thread at Dicks Blog I had the impression that consulting wasn't a high earning business?

Cheers

Dave

From a recent thread at Dicks Blog I had the impression that consulting wasn't a high earning business?
    You expect that anyone will go public what they are paid / hour and for projects

In all my jobs the price level is part of the NDAs.

Kind regards,
    Dennis
    Kind regards,
    Dennis

ExcelKB | .NET & Excel | 2nd edition PED

Not at all

But from previous discussions I would have thought that US$100K per annum would be a decent income for a VBA consultant

Dave

PS. Sorry about those dupes Ken, I've no idea how that happened

No problem, Dave. I tried three times to post the following and gave up... fortunately, I saved it first.

Dave, you raise some good points on the cost of living. I've got no idea what the cost of living is in Australia vs USA vs Canada, but that can definately be a factor. That's the biggest issues with global comparsions... the money may be the same, but the actual economic costs of living in the area may be a far cry different.

I think you'll also find that those who maintain a store front charge more than those who don't. I seem to remember reading somewhere that one should price themselves at 2-3 times what they make in an hourly wage. Can't provide a link though.

Ultimately, I'd say that the true value comes down to what the contractor wants/needs... if the salary proposed is already 3 times the national average... well it seems like they might be able to find someone local at a minimum.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Lightbulb

In my last job I was paid ?7.50 ph. Am I missing something?

Administrator
    Chat VP

Did a quick Google search and offhand I'd say it was a fairly good rate of pay for Sydney.

Lots of results for some of these, but generally they're asking for either someone with lotsa banking exp or Uni Graduates with 'multi-language programming' capabilities to even get near the rate you suggest

search: pay rate australia programmer

http://www.payscale.com/salary-survey/vid-3621/fid-7636

E.G.
    Java J2EE Developer with Visual Basic - Investment Banking
    Java J2EE SQL Developer with VB skills reqd by this leading global investment bank. Prior banking/funds exp desirable but 4-5 yrs blue-chip exp OK $80,000 - $105,000

search: pay rate australia vba excel programmer

http://www.brainbox.com.au/brainbox/...9?opendocument permanent (graduate wanted) $70-$80k plus bonuses

http://www.jobserve.com/RecruiterJob...id=38314&c=AUS

HTH,
    John
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

Hi Dave,

Did a quick Google search and offhand I'd say it was a fairly good rate of pay for Sydney.

Lots of results for some of these, but generally they're asking for either someone with lotsa banking exp or Uni Graduates with 'multi-language programming' capabilities to even get near the rate you suggest

search: pay rate australia programmer

http://www.payscale.com/salary-survey/vid-3621/fid-7636

E.G.
    Java J2EE Developer with Visual Basic - Investment Banking
    Java J2EE SQL Developer with VB skills reqd by this leading global investment bank. Prior banking/funds exp desirable but 4-5 yrs blue-chip exp OK $80,000 - $105,000

search: pay rate australia vba excel programmer

http://www.brainbox.com.au/brainbox/...9?opendocument permanent (graduate wanted) $70-$80k plus bonuses

http://www.jobserve.com/RecruiterJob...id=38314&c=AUS

HTH,
    John
    But that is permies is it not. On average, a permie costs the company twice as much to employ as the wage (holiday pay, pensions, taxes, support staff, buildings, etc.). Consultants cost the up-front amount.

As Ken says, consultants run their busines sand have to factor those costs into a living wage in, they usually do not work at all times.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

I spoke to the agency guy today - he is very keen to get a gun guy - and he said that the investment bank would go higher for the right person

So I took the easy option and told him to speak to John Green about the work, or Norman Harker for a recommendation (Bob I assume Norman doesn't consult?)

The interesting thing was that the agency guy tracked my VBA interest down from Linked In, https://www.linkedin.com/, picked up that I was Australian and worked for BHP at Colo's site and then got my number from front desk. Looks like linked in does actually work at times guys

Cheers

Dave

I spoke to the agency guy today - he is very keen to get a gun guy - and he said that the investment bank would go higher for the right person
    Well, if they throw a couple of return flights, a 12 month contract, it would be tempting at a higher rate. Quite fancy a year down under.

Quote Originally Posted by brettdj
    So I took the easy option and told him to speak to John Green about the work, or Norman Harker for a recommendation (Bob I assume Norman doesn't consult?)
    No, Norman is fully employed by a Uni in NSW, is writing a book, and has a new baby, so he is pretty busy.

Quote Originally Posted by brettdj
    The interesting thing was that the agency guy tracked my VBA interest down from Linked In, https://www.linkedin.com/, picked up that I was Australian and worked for BHP at Colo's site and then got my number from front desk. Looks like linked in does actually work at times guys
    BHP?

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber

In my last job I was paid ?7.50 ph. Am I missing something?
    What, not minimum?

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber

Well, if they throw a couple of return flights, a 12 month contract, it would be tempting at a higher rate. Quite fancy a year down under.
    I'll send you the email address

Quote Originally Posted by xld
    No, Norman is fully employed by a Uni in NSW, is writing a book, and has a new baby, so he is pretty busy.
    ?
    How old is Norman - I had him pegged at mid 50's in the photo

Quote Originally Posted by xld
    BHP?
    My employer

Well go figure that! That reminds me that there's a couple of VBAXers in your list that I need to add to mine.

As far as the consulting rate goes, I think that Bob summed up what I was trying to get at. If they're hiring a permanent or long term contract guy, they'd be paying far less than if they hired a freelancer. My rate was thinking in the freelancer side of things, not a full time employee.

Not that it matters for this, but in case anyone is interested, my opinions on why Freelancers are always more expensive are:
    -They have to advertise
    -They have to budget on not being able to get work all the time
    -They may be considering the value of their personal time if they are part timers
    -They may have an office to pay for if they are not
    -Must provide own computer and software
    -No holiday pay or paid days off
    -No medical, dental or other health benefits covered by employer
    -They assume the legal risks of doing business
    -They run the risk of having contract terminated with no notice

It should be obvious that this is not an exhaustive list by any means, but it really comes down to Risk. In the case of an employee, the company assumes it. In the case of the freelancer, the freelancer assumes it.

If you want to pay less $ in the long term, you hire a full time employee. Even with the benefits and holiday pay, the freelancer will always cost you more on a dollar for dollar basis. Companies are attracted to the freelancer though, as the freelancer will be focussed on the job at hand, and once complete will be let go. With employees, they're stuck with the salary, the regular distractions that always happen to every employee over and above their job, and finding them work if they don't have anything pressing to do. Also, to get rid of an employee, they may get stuck with a severance package as well.

Again, by no means exhaustive, and some of it debateable for sure, but helps explain the difference to those who start clutching their chest when given a contractor's rate.

VBAX Mentor

Cheers

Dave
    The rate that one can expect varies widely by geographic location.
    I would expect that rates vary even within Australia.

I expect that many folkes would be happy to be "guaranteed" $100000(US) for a year, but with short term contracts, that just does not work.

A really good programmer, i.e, one who can also contribute to the analysis of a problem, not just code, would be hard to find back here for less than $85(US) per hour + expenses.

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Guru MOS MASTER's Avatar
    Over here the freelancers I know of charge between 75 and 100 euro's (+ expenses) per hour to the hiring party...

And I agree with Bob a year Down under would be lovely....(is delaying the construction of a new house part of expenses?)

Good luck in finding the right guy!
    _________
    Groetjes,

Joost Verdaasdonk
    M.O.S. Master

Mark your thread solved, when it has been, by hitting the Thread Tools dropdown at the top of the thread.
    (I don't answer questions asked through E-mail or PM's)

What, not minimum?
    That was a raise, I started on ?7.00 p/h.

And some guy working on the project was on about ?300 p/day.

You know what he did each day?

He set off some code (in Excel) that took all day to run and then wandered around, drinking coffee etc.

After he left I took a look at his code (it was a mess) , and the data it was running on.

I imported the data into Access and ran a simple query.

The query took seconds to run and gave the same results.

Dave,

I'll throw in the 3rd vote... I'd agree with both Bob & Dennis. Most consultants in my neck of the woods (although I'm not thinking VBA necessarily), charge anywhere from 2 - 3 times that rate, depending on how good they are at what they do.
    Agree.. Every travel expenses had rocketed nowadays.