Consulting

Thread: Solved: developer's handbook

VBAX Contributor
    Solved: developer's handbook

Hi, all,

My office has been running Access 2000, and for several years now, I have been rather religiously using the Access 2000 Developer's Handbook (vol. 1: desktop edition) by Ken Getz, Paul Litwin, and Mike Gilbert (from Sybex). Now we are being upgraded to Access 2003 rather suddenly: my team members have already been upgraded, and the IT department is targeting my computer today.

I was disappointed to search the web and see that Getz, et. al., don't seem to have published a 2003 edition of the Developer's Handbook. I already have the Access Cookbook 2nd edition (from O'Reilly), but I'm seeking a recommendation for an Access 2003 developer's guide that might take the place of my dog-eared 2000 Developer's Handbook. I've been working with Access and VBA for several years through versions 1997 and 2000, so I don't need a beginner's guide that explains basic Access interface tasks or basic VBA concepts; Intermediate/Advanced level is preferred.

Any suggestions for other books?? And does anyone have any opinion on how well or poorly the 2002 Access Developer's Handbook could support Access 2003 development?

Thanks, y'all! Much obliged for any opinions!

~ eed
    With program specs this fickle, you've just got to believe in Discord.

VBAX Contributor
    Well, I ended up just purchasing the 2002 Access Developer's Handbook set. Since 2002 and 2003 use the same Access file format, I'm hoping there won't be a lot of differences in development. And the 2002 AD Enterprise volume has lots of nifty information on using XML in Access, something I've been needing a reference on. So, anyway, I'll just mark this "solved," since no one had any additional suggestions. Thanks anyway! =)
    With program specs this fickle, you've just got to believe in Discord.