Consulting

Thread: Migrating .adp from 2007 to 2010

Migrating .adp from 2007 to 2010

So with extended support for 2007 ending soon I have moved our main project to 2010 (Until I can re write major systems for connection to SQL away from .adp so we can use newer versions of office).

Pretty easy to do for the most part but having a weird problem.

Project works fine on development box, but moving the .ade (renamed to .accdr to run in runtime) The autoexec script errors out stating it can't locate the function

I checked all the references on the box as that is the usual suspect for this kind of an issue but they all appear to be installed and correct....

But the same .accdr again works fine on the dev box....

The target test box has access runtime 2010 (32 bit) with SP2 installed.
    "From the ashes of disaster grow the roses of success" - Chitty chitty bang bang

"I fear not the man who has 10,000 kicks practiced once. I fear the man who has 1 kick practiced 10,000 times" - Bruce Lee

Extra info

I installed accesss 2010 on the virtual machine to re confirm the references are all good and they are.

I then compiled into .ade on that virtual box and that .ade works on that machine but when moved back to the dev box it stops working with the same issue.....

both boxes are running windows 10 (64 bit)

Have also tried creating a form (frmStartup) with 2 lines of code and set it as the startup form for the DB (As a hack test)

Startupchecks
    docmd.close AcForm, Me.name

This gives a different error when saved as .Ade renamed and moved to the other box

"Error accessing file. Network connection may have been lost"

~Edit~
    Just ruled out corruption (Created a new DB imported forms, code etc then re added references) still both the same problems.
    Last edited by Movian; 03-28-2017 at 09:20 AM.
    "From the ashes of disaster grow the roses of success" - Chitty chitty bang bang

"I fear not the man who has 10,000 kicks practiced once. I fear the man who has 1 kick practiced 10,000 times" - Bruce Lee

After much headache and annoyance.

I discovered that my office 2010 install was behaving "oddly" even though I had previously installed SP2 for office 2010 when I checked the version it had the Original version number in the control panel.

Attempting to install SP2 provided a message that the expected version was not found.

After completely uninstalling rebooting reg cleaning rebooting and re installing, re applying SP2

It seems to have finally resolved the issue, it appears to be an issue with the Dev Box specifically.

Creating the .ade on the dev box now creates a working .ade (.accdr) on the virtual box.

Leaving this here in case anyone ever has a similar problem.

Great job figuring out the issue.

Thanks for paying it forward by sharing your solution.

Curious why you are changing the file extensions from .ade to .accdr if the target is using the Access rutime?

Starting with Access 2007, you can rename a database to have the .accdr extensions to force the full version of Access into runtime mode. This could also be done using the /runtime command-line line switch like with older version.

A majority of my customer's users have only the Access runtime versions. The all run just the .accde front end just fine. I have tested and there is no difference if I rename it to a .accdr with the Runtime version.

There are things that will work with the full version in runtime mode (.accdr or /runtime) that do not work with with a Access Runtime installation with a accdb, accde, or a accdr. To really test how your front end will work with the Runtime version you have to test with an actual Runtime installation. I have a separate VMs, one for each version (2007/2010/2013/2016), that have only the Access Runtime version installed (never had the full version installed) for testing. Sounds like you might have a VM with the runtime also.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach
    Microsoft Access MVP -2010-2015

Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Yeah I have a VM Machine with just the runtime, but I always bump into new situations with our clients. No matter how many things I test for software in the wild always seems to find new configurations to have a problem with.

The accdr rename is a layover from several years ago; and I need to review if that is still needed.

Essentially it's a hacky workaround for machines running a full version of access (most of our clients use runtime however some have access installed as part of office pro) it forces the removal of the side bar to access form objects, forcing the user to use the form navigation we have setup (If they rename to .ade unless they enter a developer password it will close automatically until it is renamed back to accdr)

Since then we have started using a launcher application so I could likely configure that to ensure the correct version of Access is being used and add the /runtime object. But that would not stop some users that like going into the folder and double clicking the DB verses using the launcher.

HOWEVER I also need to convert the launcher from VB.net to C#.net before I make any modifications for constancy....

All work and no play makes Movian a Dull coder.