Consulting

Thread: Quick part only in current document

Quick part only in current document

Hi,

I'm creating a "template" for my department. The reason I'm calling it a "template" is because it's not a .dotm, it's a .docm file, which is then Saved As a new document (the reason why I chose that is because I want the macros to be contained within the document itself, not referring to a template file on a server disk which may not be accessible during all times)...

Now I want to create my own quick parts, to use with the "Building block gallery content control". And now to the question: can I save the quick parts only within the current .docm file? I know that IF I would have been working in a .dotm file, it would have been possible to choose to save the quick part only within that template, but now the only options in the "Save in"-dialog is Building Blocks.dotx and Normal.dotx.

Best regards,
    David

Microsoft Word MVP 2003-2009 VBAX Guru gmaxey's Avatar
    No. Building blocks are stored in templates (that is a .dotx or .dotm format file and not something you want to call a template). Why don't you distribute a template to your users?
    Greg

Visit my website: http://gregmaxey.com

We have all of our template files on a server disk. Distributing them would be very inconvenient I think. Or can you recommend any good "ways of working" when it comes to sharing macro enabled templates?

VBAX Sage
    I'd put all the DOTMs on the server in a central folder(s)

Then each user just has to point Workgroup Templates to the Share Drive (one time)

Then when the user does File, New they pick Custom and the folder and the DOTM

PS - make user the security on the DOTMs is set how you want it, read only for example

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

There's a Templates folder there because I have some personal (one user) templates also

Capture2.JPG
    Last edited by Paul_Hossler; 04-26-2017 at 07:18 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Thanks Paul. But does that mean in your case that every time a user don't have network access to L:\ , they can not run the macros because the .dotm would be unavailable?