Consulting

Thread: Issue creating SQL query from string in VBA

VBAX Newbie
    Issue creating SQL query from string in VBA

Hi folks, currently working on some automation at work where we have written a script to pull specific data and automatically import into Excel. This code will also run under a For Each statement later on and run through the same code for a number of different client databases.

Basically I have come up with the code below which does what I need with regards to running a basic query and returning the results in the format I need; however, the SQL query has become a little more complicated in that I now need to include a where clause which includes over 4000 individual numbers which will change from month to month! We came up with the solution that we will simply split the SQL query in two, paste the 4000+ numbers into column R on the spreadsheet and concatenate them all in VBA.

Now in testing for a single client, this works a treat as long as column R has less than around 4400 entries (R2:R4402) - we tested low numbers and gradually increased until we got to the 4400 mark (this is approximate - still testing to find the specific threshold). Anything under the 4400 mark produced instant results with very little load time. The moment we breached this threshold, Excel locked up. I'm thinking it could be that the concatenation results in the overall string exceeding a character limit (it's worth noting that each of the numbers in the where clause are 12 digits long, plus commas and apostrophes).

Any ideas?

Option Explicit

Sub Add_SQLTable()

Dim c as concat
    Dim n As Name
    Dim sht As String
    Dim sHostName As String
    Dim cnt As ADODB.Connection, rst As ADODB.Recordset
    Dim stSQL As String
    Dim qtData As QueryTable, wbBook As Workbook, wsSheet As Worksheet, rnStart As Range

Dim username As String, password As String, eleccatalog As String, gascatalog As String, ipaddress As String
    Dim stADO As String

sHostName = Environ$("computername")
    Range("workstationID").Value = sHostName

username = Range("username").Value
    password = Range("password").Value
    eleccatalog = Range("eleccatalog").Value
    gascatalog = Range("gascatalog").Value
    ipaddress = Range("ipaddress").Value

stADO = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Password=" & password & ";Persist Security Info=True;" & _
    "User ID=" & username & ";Initial Catalog =" & eleccatalog & ";Data Source=" & ipaddress & ";" & _
    "Workstation ID=" & sHostName & ";UserEncryption for Data=False;" & _
    "Tag with column collation when possible=False"

Set wbBook = ActiveWorkbook
    Set wsSheet = wbBook.Worksheets("Sheet1")

With wsSheet
        Set rnStart = wsSheet.Range("A1")
    End With

concat = Join(Application.Transpose(Range("R2:R4500")), "")

stSQL = wbBook.Worksheets("Admin").Range("Script").Value  & concat & wbBook.Worksheets("Admin").Range("Script2").Value

Set cnt = New ADODB.Connection

With cnt
            .CursorLocation = adUseClient
            .Open stADO
            .CommandTimeout = 0
            Set rst = .Execute(stSQL)
        End With

Set qtData = wsSheet.QueryTables.Add(rst, rnStart)

With qtData
        .FieldNames = False
        .Refresh
    End With

rst.Close
    cnt.Close

Set rst = Nothing
    Set cnt = Nothing

sht = "Sheet1"

For Each n In ActiveWorkbook.Names
        If n.RefersToRange.Worksheet.Name = sht Then
        n.Delete
        End If
    Next n

End Sub

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    I have to say that seems under-engineered to me, couldn't you add something to make the filter criteria less complex?

Other than that, you could do it all with Power Query, pull in all of the data the filter for your entries. You could do this by reading the SQL data in one query, then read the Excel table into another, and merge the two with an inner join, which will drop all of the unwanted items.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

VBAX Newbie
    Thanks for your suggestions xld... Unfortunately due to the nature and amount of data we're working with the filter criteria being complex is inevitable. I've never used Power Query though, so am in the process of installing the add-in now and will see where it takes me.

Thanks again.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Give us a shout if you need help with the PQ solution.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber