Consulting

Thread: How can I make Ctrl + Z work in these simple color macros?

VBAX Contributor
    How can I make Ctrl + Z work in these simple color macros?

Dear all,

as mentioned in another thread I know a little bit about VBA coding in PowerPoint, but Excel still is a different planet.

I was thinking about three little macros for quick implementation of some brand colors into one's Excel sheet: One for fills, one for borders, one for text. Googling this, led me to a very simple solution:

Option Explicit
    Sub Fill()
        Selection.Interior.Color = RGB(255, 153, 0)
    End Sub
    Sub Border()
        Selection.Borders.Color = RGB(255, 153, 0)
    End Sub
    Sub Font()
        Selection.Font.Color = RGB(255, 153, 0)
    End Sub
    So far, so good. But I'm used to use Ctrl + Z a lot and this shortcut doesn't work here. This is an issue I never had when coding for PowerPoint, "Undo" always worked well. Is this usual in Excel VBA? Do I have to add something to the code? Or use different commands?

Maybe it is all too simple for you guys here, but as I'm new to VBA coding for Excel, please help me with this, if you can. Thank you!

RG

(And next step would be how to make the border macro work in diagrams, too.)

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    You cannot "undo" changes made by a macro. I use this for highlighting yellow/undoing for this reason
    Sub Yellow()
    With Selection
    If .Interior.ColorIndex = 6 Then
     .Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
     Else
      .Interior.ColorIndex = 6
      End If
      End With
    End Sub
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

VBAX Sage
    This seems pretty reliable IF you Control-Z right away. Sometimes the captured initial settings can get forgot

It does not seem to queue it in the undo stack

Option Explicit

Public FillUndoRange As Range
    Public FillUndoColor As Long

'http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php/tip/undoing_a_vba_subroutine/
    'https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff194135(v=office.15).aspx (Office 2013 and up)

Sub Fill()
        If TypeName(Selection) <> "Range" Then Exit Sub

Set FillUndoRange = Selection
        FillUndoColor = Selection.Interior.Color
        Selection.Interior.Color = RGB(255, 153, 0)

'If a procedure doesn?t use the OnUndo method, the Undo command is disabled.
        'The procedure must use the OnRepeat and OnUndo methods last, to prevent the repeat and undo
        '   procedures from being overwritten by subsequent actions in the procedure

Application.OnRepeat "Fill Sub", "Fill"
        Application.OnUndo "Fill Sub", "FillUndo"

End Sub

Public Sub FillUndo()
        FillUndoRange.Parent.Select
        FillUndoRange.Select
        Selection.Interior.Color = FillUndoColor
    End Sub
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

VBAX Contributor
    This is interesting - how far different from PowerPoint!

Thank you, both of you.

@mdmackillop: As far as I understand ColorIndex is limited to only 54 pre-defined colors, which makes the use of branding colors nearly impossible.

@Paul: I had some tries with your code and found two issues.
    First is, after undoing a coloring, the original grey borders are gone. The range is all white, without visible borders.
    Second is, sometimes selected cells turn black after undoing. "Sometimes" means:
    1. Select some cells, e.g., B3 : D6, and use the Fill macro.
    2. Deselect the range
    3. Click Undo
    4. Select a range which includes parts of the old range and other cells, too, e.g., D4:E7, and use the fill macro
    5. Deselect the range
    6. Click Undo

Is this second issue what you meant with "captured initial settings can get forgot"?

At last, new idea, I could go back to my original code and forget about undoing, in case I had a No-Fill- and a Back-to-original-border-Macro.

Is there a command in Excel similar to this PowerPoint thing:

.Fill.Visible = msoFalse
    And: What is the original border? When I click on the border tool, it says automatically black - but the borders aren't black.

Thank you so much, guys!
    RG

VBAX Sage
    As far as I understand ColorIndex is limited to only 54 pre-defined colors, which makes the use of branding colors nearly impossible.
    1. There are 56 choices on the palette, but you can change them persistently for a workbook

Sub ChangePalette()
        ThisWorkbook.ResetColors

ThisWorkbook.Colors(24) = RGB(226, 234, 234)
    End Sub

What is the original border? When I click on the border tool, it says automatically black - but the borders aren't black.
    2. There are the normal cell gridlines that display [View tab, Show, Gridlines], and then there can be borders around the cell or cells

Is there a command in Excel similar to this PowerPoint thing:
    3. This should remove any Fill. I usually use xlColorIndexAutomatic

Selection.Interior.Color = xlNone

Selection.Interior.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexNone        . removes fill

Selection.Interior.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexAutomatic ' makes white

4. For some reason, a fill of white (vbWhite) is apparently treated a little differently

This a a slight mod; see if it works for you

Public Sub FillUndo()

FillUndoRange.Parent.Select
        FillUndoRange.Select

With Selection
            If FillUndoColor = vbWhite Then
                .Interior.Color = xlNone
            Else
                .Interior.Color FillUndoColor
            End If
        End With
    End Sub
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

[CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done

VBAX Contributor

:-(

"Deleting" borders leaves a light blue border now ...

VBAX Sage

Sub BordersOn()
        On Error GoTo ErMsg
        Selection.Borders.Color = RGB(255, 153, 0)

Exit Sub

ErMsg:
        MsgBox "This macro is for cell borders only, not for gridlines, axes or data point borders in diagrams"
    End Sub

Sub BordersOff()
        On Error GoTo ErMsg

Selection.Borders.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexNone

Exit Sub

ErMsg:
        MsgBox "This macro is for cell borders only, not for gridlines, axes or data point borders in diagrams"
    End Sub

Paul

2. Upload an example

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Grand Master mdmackillop's Avatar
    @mdmackillop: As far as I understand ColorIndex is limited to only 54 pre-defined colors, which makes the use of branding colors nearly impossible.
    You can use .Color for the full range and also set up a template for your commonly used colours
    Sub Colours()Dim x
    x = InputBox("My colour index; 0 to clear")
    If x = 0 Then
        Selection.Interior.Color = xlNone
        Else
    x = Sheets("Colours").Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Cells(x).Interior.Color
        Selection.Interior.Color = x
        End If
    End Sub
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

Arguably, you should be creating a custom Theme which has all the branded colours at the right locations and install that theme on the computers. Then set Excel to use that theme. By doing so, the ribbon will automagically contain the right colorset to choose from and all standard Undo levels just work.
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

VBAX Contributor

@mdmackillop: Thanks a lot for being so helpful again, but I think, the guys I'm trying to help will prefer Paul's solution.

@Jan Karel: For the usual use I would agree, but in this case the guys I'm trying to help, have to handle two different sets of branding colors. I thought it might be easier to have one as default and the other one as macros. By the way: I have found your explanation, how to make a custom theme default in Excel 2010. (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-68b599b31bf5) But it seems, I don't know the right place to store the Book.xltx to make it appear directly, when I open Excel from the task bar. I stored it in C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates and it does not appear as default. Where do I have to store it?

It needs to go in xlstart:
    %appdata%\Microsoft\Excel\xlstart
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

Silly enough, this does NOT make it as the default when you select File, New. It does when you hit control+n. Consistency is a terrific thing, isn't it?
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

VBAX Sage
    You might consider NOT using it as a 'all the time' default Book.xltx in XLSTART

If you formatted a standard (or several) template as (for ex) CompanyStrandard_External.xlst and CompanyStrandard_Internal.xlst and put it in the user's default templates folder (Options, Save, Default personal templates location) the users could pick the 'standard' when necessary, or something else when required by using File, New

If you have a shared drive / folder you could put the 'gold copy' of the xltx's in a 'standard format' folder for the Workgroup

The 'weird' thing is that you have to use MS Word to set the workgroup folder location, but Excel will look there for it

Word:

Capture.JPG

Excel:

File, New, Custom

Capture2.JPG

Probably a way to do it through the registry but I haven't looked
    Last edited by Paul_Hossler; 06-07-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Paul

2. Upload an example

VBAX Contributor
    No, unfortunately this is not working. I put my Book.xltx to %appdata%\Microsoft\Excel\xlstart but it is not appearing as default. Neither with ctrl+N, nor on File ->New -> Empty Workbook. I can choose it via File -> New -> My Templates, but I have to do that everytime - which is the same as dropping it to %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates. It is not becoming default anywhere. Any idea, what I might have done wrong?

I'd be happy to solve this without the registry as I'm always afraid of doing something there on dangerous ground. ;-)

VBAX Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomGerman View Post
    No, unfortunately this is not working. I put my Book.xltx to %appdata%\Microsoft\Excel\xlstart but it is not appearing as default. Neither with ctrl+N, nor on File ->New -> Empty Workbook. I can choose it via File -> New -> My Templates, but I have to do that everytime - which is the same as dropping it to %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates. It is not becoming default anywhere. Any idea, what I might have done wrong?

I'd be happy to solve this without the registry as I'm always afraid of doing something there on dangerous ground. ;-)
    Yea, FWIW I've never gotten the Book.xltx in XLSTART to work either

I think it has something to do with the various options related to starting Excel, but I've never spent much time investigating.

I prefer to have a discrete set of project-specific templates in my personal templates folder to choose from to use as a starting point

Paul

2. Upload an example

@RandomGerman: The name is language specific, so if you use German Excel, look at how an empty workbook is named (Mappe1?), strip out the number and use that name: Mappe.xltx. That should work.
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

VBAX Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Karel Pieterse View Post
    @RandomGerman: The name is language specific, so if you use German Excel, look at how an empty workbook is named (Mappe1?), strip out the number and use that name: Mappe.xltx. That should work.
    That's it! I thought about that and had tried yesterday without success, because I used Mappe1.xltx. Without the number it's it! (It's funny - and in a way annoying - that some things are language sensitive in Windows and others are not ... how should anyone know all that?)

Thank you, guys! It's priceless, what you all do here with helping all those less experienced users like me.

You're welcome!
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

VBAX Sage
    Silly enough, this does NOT make it as the default when you select File, New. It does when you hit control+n. Consistency is a terrific thing, isn't it?

You're welcome!

I went back and tried it again since you said it worked.

I found out that if I remove my 2 XLSM's in XLSTART (PERSONAL.XLSM and SUB.XLSM) when I start Excel, I do get a initial WB based on book.xltx. If the XLSM's are there, then Excel opens without a WB open

Ctrl-N does work, but I never use it since (old dog, new tricks) I'm so used to File, New and picking the XLTX from the list

Consistency IS a terrific thing, isn't it

Paul

2. Upload an example