Consulting

Thread: Copy DB to multiple drives

VBAX Newbie
    Unhappy Copy DB to multiple drives

hi, I am needing assistance. The below code copies the DB to the C:\ and P:\ drive, however when opening the copied DB it runs through the "You are opening up the database from it's root directory..." on both drives and of course the DB doesn't open for use. It appears to not recognize that it is located on the c:\ or p:\ drive, I am not sure what I have wrong with my coding. When I remove the "Or Left(getdbpath, 3) <>"p:\" it works fine. but the OR seems to make it not work properly.

Can someone help me out, please?

If Left(GetDBPath, 3) <> "c:\" Or Left(GetDBPath, 3) <> "p:\" Then    MsgBox ("You are opening up the database from it's root directory, a copy of the database will be copied to your desktop. Click OK below to begin copying.")

On Error Resume Next
        Kill "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\CM MAT 2.0 USERCOPY.accdb"
        Kill "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Backup of CM MAT 2.0 USERCOPY.accdb"
        Kill "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Backup of Backup of CM MAT 2.0 USERCOPY.accdb"
        Kill "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Backup of Backup of Backup of CM MAT 2.0 USERCOPY.accdb"
        oldPath = "\\vcocfscl01\okcshare\Operations Management\DEPART TOOLS\MAT\Collateral Management\" 'Folder file is located in
        UserLogIn = GetUserName
        newPath = "C:\Users\" & UserLogIn & "\Desktop\" 'Folder to copy file to
        Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
        fs.CopyFile oldPath & "CM MAT 2.0 USERCOPY.accdb", newPath & "CM MAT 2.0 USERCOPY.accdb"

Kill "P:\CM MAT 2.0 USERCOPY.accdb"
        Kill "P:\Backup of CM MAT 2.0 USERCOPY.accdb"
        Kill "P:\Backup of Backup of CM MAT 2.0 USERCOPY.accdb"
        Kill "P:\Backup of Backup of Backup of CM MAT 2.0 USERCOPY.accdb"

oldPath = "\\vcocfscl01\okcshare\Operations Management\DEPART TOOLS\MAT\Collateral Management\" 'Folder file is located in
        UserLogIn = GetUserName
        newPathp = "P:\"
        fs.CopyFile oldPath & "CM MAT 2.0 USERCOPY.accdb", newPathp & "CM MAT 2.0 USERCOPY.accdb"

Set fs = Nothing
        DoCmd.Close acForm, "CK_DB_Version", acSaveYes

MsgBox ("Database is copied to your desktop, database will now be closed.  Please re-open db from your desktop.")
       Application.Quit

VBAX Expert
    If there are only 2 drives, c and p, Left(GetDBPath, 3) will always be c:\ or p:\

Why does it matter where they run the file from? Seems like this is what shortcuts are for.

Quote Originally Posted by jonh View Post
    If there are only 2 drives, c and p, Left(GetDBPath, 3) will always be c:\ or p:\

Why does it matter where they run the file from? Seems like this is what shortcuts are for.
    It matters a lot for multiple conncurrent user databases.

I do the same type of check to follow the Best Practice of having the front end on a local and NOT shared.

This idea is to be sure the user is not opening the "master" copy on the server. You want them to open their own copy of the front end that is not shared.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach
    Microsoft Access MVP -2010-2015

Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Quote Originally Posted by 851jme View Post
    hi, I am needing assistance. The below code copies the DB to the C:\ and P:\ drive, however when opening the copied DB it runs through the "You are opening up the database from it's root directory..." on both drives and of course the DB doesn't open for use. It appears to not recognize that it is located on the c:\ or p:\ drive, I am not sure what I have wrong with my coding. When I remove the "Or Left(getdbpath, 3) <>"p:\" it works fine. but the OR seems to make it not work properly.

Can someone help me out, please?

If Left(GetDBPath, 3) <> "c:\" Or Left(GetDBPath, 3) <> "p:\" Then    MsgBox ("You are opening up the database from it's root directory, a copy of the database will be copied to your desktop. Click OK below to begin copying.")

On Error Resume Next
        Kill "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\CM MAT 2.0 USERCOPY.accdb"
        Kill "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Backup of Backup of Backup of CM MAT 2.0 USERCOPY.accdb"
        UserLogIn = GetUserName
        fs.CopyFile oldPath & "CM MAT 2.0 USERCOPY.accdb", newPath & "CM MAT 2.0 USERCOPY.accdb"

UserLogIn = GetUserName
        newPathp = "P:\"
        fs.CopyFile oldPath & "CM MAT 2.0 USERCOPY.accdb", newPathp & "CM MAT 2.0 USERCOPY.accdb"

Set fs = Nothing

MsgBox ("Database is copied to your desktop, database will now be closed.  Please re-open db from your desktop.")
       Application.Quit

Are you sure the one you are opening the local copy on the desktop and NOT a shortcut?

As a test, open the database, go to the immediate window (Ctrl-G) and type the following:

? GetDBPath
    or

Print GetDBPath
    then press the enter key.

This sill show you where it thinks the database is located.

Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.

VBAX Newbie
    I checked through the immediate window on all copies of the database (s, c & p drives), the are all returning the location they are at.

VBAX Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by HiTechCoach View Post
    It matters a lot for multiple conncurrent user databases.

I do the same type of check to follow the Best Practice of having the front end on a local and NOT shared.

This idea is to be sure the user is not opening the "master" copy on the server. You want them to open their own copy of the front end that is not shared.
    No it doesn't.

What matters is that the front end is split properly from the back end and users aren't sharing temp tables. If you run a split front end off a server you are still running a local 'copy'.

VBAX Newbie
    hi, I split the database through the access wizard, is there a different way?

it doesn't appear to recognized the drive it is on once the coped database is opened. The Or statement is missing something I guess and I can't figure it out. It works if I remove the Or and everything after it, 1 drive at a time.

VBAX Expert

If CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").GetFolder(CurrentProject.Path).Type = "Local Disk" Then
        MsgBox ("You are opening up the database from it's root directory, " & _
            "a copy of the database will be copied to your desktop. Click OK below to begin copying.")
        Exit Sub
    End If

VBAX Newbie
    thank you Jonh, I have included the code again to show where I placed it (not sure if this is correct place). It didn't work :-(

Sub CopyDB()Dim fs As Object
    Dim db As DAO.Database
    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
    Dim oldPath As String, newPath As String
    Dim newpathp As String
    Dim sDest As String
    Dim sSource As String
    Set db = CurrentDb

SQL = "Select * from _DBVersionLocal"

Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(SQL)

'Retrieve value if data is found
       If rs.EOF = False Then
          LocalVersion = rs("VersionNumber")
       Else
          rs.Close
          Set rs = Nothing
       End If
    ''''

Set db = CurrentDb

SQL = "Select * from _DBVersionMaster"

Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(SQL)

'Retrieve value if data is found
       If rs.EOF = False Then
          MasterVersion = rs("VersionNumber")
       Else
          rs.Close
          Set rs = Nothing
       End If

'test code
    If CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").GetFolder(CurrentProject.Path).Type = "Local Disk" Then
        MsgBox ("Are opening up the database from it's root directory, " & _
        "a copy of the database will be copied to your desktop. Click OK below to begin copying.")
        Exit Sub

End If
    If LocalVersion <> MasterVersion Then
        MsgBox ("There has been an update to the database that requires the database to be copied to your desktop.  Click OK below to begin copying.")

On Error Resume Next
        Kill "C:\Users\[GetUserName]\Desktop\CM MAT 2.0 USERCOPY.accdb"

UserLogIn = GetUserName
            newpathp = "P:\"
            fs.CopyFile oldPath & "CM MAT 2.0 USERCOPY.accdb", newpathp & "CM MAT 2.0 USERCOPY.accdb"

Set fs = Nothing
    End If

If Left(GetDBPath, 3) <> "C:\" Or Left(GetDBPath, 3) <> "P:\" Then
        MsgBox ("You are opening up the database from it's root directory, a copy of the database will be copied to your desktop. Click OK below to begin copying.")

On Error Resume Next
        Kill "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Desktop\CM MAT 2.0 USERCOPY.accdb"

UserLogIn = GetUserName
            newpathp = "P:\"
            fs.CopyFile oldPath & "CM MAT 2.0 USERCOPY.accdb", newpathp & "CM MAT 2.0 USERCOPY.accdb"

Set fs = Nothing

Application.Quit
       End If

End Sub

VBAX Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by 851jme View Post
    thank you Jonh, I have included the code again to show where I placed it (not sure if this is correct place). It didn't work :-(
    What didn't work?
    Add a breakpoint and step through your code.

VBAX Newbie
    Thank you both for your time, I've decided they will just have to re download it when they are using it from the P:\ drive.

Quote Originally Posted by jonh View Post
    If you run a split front end off a server you are still running a local 'copy'.
    That funny .

VBAX Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by HiTechCoach View Post
    That funny .
    Wasn't a joke.

Access databases are copied from servers, that's why they aren't as efficient as proper database engines.